New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Decent hostel, fantastic service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pension Santa Elena

Pension Santa Elena
London, United Kingdom
“Decent hostel, fantastic service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014 via mobile

The staff here went beyond the call of duty helping me to get back something I left there! They were also very friendly whilst I was there. The rooms and prices are good, I think the only negative was the crazy loud bikes going past - but none of the rooms are on the street so not much more could be done.

• Stayed July 2014
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Crown Point, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

We stayed here for 3 days in early July 2014. At first we were assigned to a room (for 3) that was on the ground floor next to the street, at the front of the pension. It was very noisy so we asked to be reassigned the next day. They accommodated us with an upstairs room at the back of the property. It was very quiet there, and we had a nice view of the surrounding mountains. The staff at the pension is very knowledgeable about things to do, tourist buses, etc. Both rooms we stayed in were clean and everything worked properly. We were within walking distance of bank, restaurants, shopping. The breakfast was good. We were within walking distance of a biological reserve.

I would recommend this pension to family/friends.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the new section, at the back of the property.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Oceanside
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

This is a great little hotel/hostel type of place. Very clean rooms. I stayed in a room with a private shower and toilet. But the best part of Pension SA are the people. Joe and Diego were so welcoming and helpful. They helped me set up any "excursions" I wanted without a hitch. Great advice on what to see, where to go, and especially where to eat (thanks Diego!). I will definitely stay here when I return next time.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

I camped for 2 nights. Costa Rica was never the best for camping spots, but they accommodated us nicely here, if in a relatively small area. The bathroom situation was standard for a hostel, and we were very happy with the communal kitchen situation. Good vibes all around from the employees, especially with the tips they give you on how to make the most of your time in the area. Plus a great cat.

Room Tip: camped out in the nice patio/yard area
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

We stayed at the hostel with our son (8yrs), and enjoyed the welcoming, positive atmosphere. There were other families with kids there, and we found all of the travelers/guests to be pleasant. The staff was friendly, and very helpful with helping us to organize accommodations in the next towns we were headed to, as well as helping us decide on which adventures to pursue in Monteverde (Diego was especially helpful!!) We stayed in a private room, with bath, in the annex, and found it to be spacious, clean, and a great price. The lobby has foosball, wifi, and is generally a good place to hang out. I almost forgot- breakfast (included in price) is delicious!

Room Tip: The annex is especially nice- we stayed upstairs with private bath.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Staff are very helpful and the crowd is Gap year. Good company, music, and the location is within walking distance of the bus stop. Rooms are clean and access to all the attractions make this a great place to stay.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

I stayed at La Pension Santa Elena in May of this year for 4 nights. I was only meant to stay for 2 and leave when friends of mine left but I enjoyed La Pension Santa Elena and Monteverde so much that I found myself staying for 4. I stayed in both a 3 person room and a single room and both were lovely, clean and cosy. It's safe and secure, comfortable and has a warm, welcoming atmosphere. Ran and Diego are incredibly kind and helpful and have an in-depth knowledge and first hand experience of Monteverde and the rest of Costa Rica. They are able to give honest advice about activities in the area because they themselves have actually tried them. They also helped me to plan the remainder of my solo trip through Costa Rica and I had a wonderful time having followed their advice. It provided fantastic value for money and it doesn't hurt that it's right next door to the delicious and very reasonably priced Taco Taco, where you get your free breakfast while staying at La Pension Santa Elena.
I would recommend La Pension Santa Elena to anyone visiting Monteverde, whether they are travelling solo, as a couple or as a group.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
#3 of 22 in Monteverde
4.5 of 5 stars 884 reviews
Hotel Cipreses Monteverde Costa Rica
Camino Verde Bed & Breakfast Monteverde

Been to Pension Santa Elena? Share your experiences!