“The place to stay in Santa Elena.”

Pension Santa Elena
Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

This place is a real gem. The staff couldn't do more to help you out and gave unbiased information about activities and the area. There is a communal area and kitchen which gives a real backpacker vibe to the place. They cater to all budgets and there was even someone camping in the garden area! The location is amazing in the centre of town and close to the bus stops to the cloud forests. I really couldn't fault this place.

• Stayed: May 2013

Reviewed May 10, 2013

Back packing through Central America with my wife we stayed here for 2 nights but wished it was more. Great buzz and vibrant atmosphere. Plenty of young like minded folk passing through. Extremely helpful and friendly staff. Plenty to do and see in this town and all arranged by the staff here. We were asked to turn our music down once. It wasn't that loud or late but we didn't realise next door could hear it so well. Sorry! Great place to stay with loads of book to read, games to play and plenty of dogs around to curl up on the couch with. Thanks for everything!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 8, 2013

-Double bed private room with bath $20
-Dorm rooms for $12
-Free breakfast at awesome taco shop next door (still my favorite breakfast of whole CR trip)
-Incredible bi-lingual staff that can help with anything and have full booklet print outs of where to go, what to do and how to get there
-Bustling, friendly hostel with good common space and literally the best porch -where everyone hangs out - in Santa Elena

Stay here. :)

Room Tip: I'd suggest the private room for $20. Private shower and bathroom? Awesome.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

The rooms are big and very beautifully decorated. The yard is very nice and there is common area where you can meet others. Breakfast is nice with fresh fruits and above all the stuff are super nice and very helpful.
The only con was that we didnt have hot water, but when I come to think of it, in most places in costa rica there aren't any hot water..
Good value for the money

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I love this place and the people who run it. I can't find enough good things to say. They were even decently helpful by email long before my arrival, not just regarding rooms but also helping me plan my travel halfway across the country, and once I got there it was easy to talk to them more to plan activities around town, both for packaged activities and for independent activities. (FYI, they're no longer the unbiased source of information on canopy tours that the Lonely Planet guide claims and I had to push for more information on the tour I really wanted.) I had a nice, sunny, spotless room to myself with a large bed and a second large bed lofted above, and to save a few bucks I opted for the shared bathroom which was usually free when I wanted it and has a great, clean shower. The hostel was perpetually packed in my time there. I saw them turn away a few folks, but it was never so full as to feel overcrowded. The main indoor common space is active and there are plenty of people hanging out with their cohorts or with new friends. There's a cute deck and a really nice interior courtyard that is underutilized. The kitchen is large, and people were using it, but the adjoining Taco Taco (which serves a simple but good and filling breakfast free to people at the hostel every day from 7-9am) serves up some really tasty tacos and burritos filled with fish, shredded chicken, beef ribs, and more. The hostel is right on a main road and there can be some street noise from trucks and 4WD vehicles but I found it fairly easy to filter it out. Wifi is free and consistently works well in common spaces but doesn't reach all the rooms.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 4, 2013

A fantastic joint right in the heart of Santa Elena. Right by the bus that takes you to the Monteverde cloud forest. Great price for Costa Rica and they even feed you a burrito breakfast with fresh fruit! The place is a little worn down from constant traffic but it's homey with free Internet and computers, a book exchange (small), an amazing patio, a great taco place next door, and well-maintained dorm rooms. It's also safe.

I met lots of friendly people there. And the reception folk were very helpful. I booked my tours through them but was disappointed with the quality of the night tour--if you have the time, it's best to research and book your own tours.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We had a great time in this hostel. Our room was not expensiv, clean and practical. The reception staff is extremly friendly and they know really everything about the place and tours. we booked some of the recommended tours and every single one was just great.
the internet was working, there is a kitchen and free coffee all the time.
Thanks for this great time!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
0 mi away
Sleepers Sleep Cheaper Hostel
Sleepers Sleep Cheaper Hostel
#9 of 36 in Santa Elena

Been to Pension Santa Elena? Share your experiences!