“Da Bomb”

Pension Santa Elena
Toronto, Canada
“Da Bomb”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Simply awesome deal for the money.Great vibe indeed and the host Ran was fantastic. It was our first hostel experience and we all loved it. Clean rooms great breakfast . can not ask for anything better in Monteverde area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Pension Santa Elena was my favorite hostel in Costa Rica. We were a group of 4 and stayed in room H8 with a private bathroom--HOT water and by far the best shower I had in Costa Rica. (I like it better than my shower at home and missed PSE as soon as I got to my next cold shower hostel.) The people who run PSE are super knowledgable and friendly. The guy from Austin, TX gives awesome ideas, tips, and advice. I booked two tours through him and he got us great rates. The hostel common area is comfortable and friendly with a Taco place next door; in fact you get awesome fruit and taco for breakfast there included in your room price! It's totally tasty and was the perfect way to start my day. I can't comment on the dorms since I didn't stay in them, but I know they were very affordable with breakfast! I only planned to stay two nights but I loved Monteverde and I know it's because I stayed at PSE

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed December 15, 2012

This is a great place to stay in Santa Elena / Monteverde. The location is in the town and close to everything.
The staff are all incredibly friendly, welcomming and helpful.
I had a private room with bathroom in the original hostel (there are some newer rooms at the back). At $17 per night, it was the cheapest private room I had in my whole stay in Costa Rica. The room was fine. Small and clean. My only problem was that the floor in the bathroom (including the shower) was painted red and I had red soles of my feet for days! But that's only a tiny thing and was not a big deal.
I booked a coffee plantation tour (amazing!) and a cloud forest bridge tour through the hostel. They couldn't have been more helpful and I felt they gave me very good advice, not advice that would make them the most commission.
For example, the coffee tour was on the farm of a man who was part of a co-op. It's fair trade and helps the community. The commission for this tour is minimal. There is another coffee / chocolate tour you can do which is part of a big business where the hostel would get a much better commission but as they believe in the fair trade / co-op option, this is what they recommend. I really appreciated their honesty.
The breakfast was great and lovely to get something different. Tacos and fresh fruit.
I did have fish tacos from the taco bar one evening. They were ok. Cheap and cheerful!
I would highly recommend this hostel. Great staff and a lovely town.
Bring a jumper!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I loved this place. I have never felt so welcomed by a staff. They personally sat us down and helped us plan our short stint in Santa elena and gave us invaluable info that couldn't be found in any guidebook. They were all so sincere, laid back and enthusiastic. I felt so at home. ALSO... The coffee flows like wine: free coffee all day every day and free breakfast! The adjoining taco stand was the best food I had in Costa Rica, for real. In the evenings when this sleepy little town mellowed out we would sit in the cozy little lobby and drink horchata with rum and play trivial pursuit. Fond memories.

2 Thank Jetae27
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

I got a private room here for 2 nights. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The atmosphere is chilled. The room was perfect, clean and awesome hot showers which is great because it gets pretty cold here. My only negative is the bed in my room squeaked really loudly whenever you moved slightly. It didn't bother me but may have woken other guests!
Would definitely stay here again and highly recommend.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed December 2, 2012

My stay at la Pension Santa Elena was wonderful. The staff provided a level of service that I've never experienced in a hostel before. They were polite, charming, and regularly went out of their way to help and provide unbiased advice.

Best service I've ever experienced.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed November 18, 2012

One of my favorite hostels I've ever stayed in! My travel partner and I shared a private room. It was cheap, clean, quiet, and cute. Diego helped us out a TON from travel recommendations to places to eat in town. He was SO friendly to us and everyone that walked in the door and told us about all of the great things to do in the area without seeming the least bit exasperated by repeating the same info constantly.
The common area was so cozy and welcoming. The wifi didn't work in our room ( and probably not in anyone elses either considering we all hung out in the community area) but it didn't bother me and I loved interacting with all of the other travelers.
The hostel sells single beers, has free coffee all day, gives you a free breakfast coupon for the delicious tico taco stand next door, and has dogs hanging out all day. What more could you ask for?
They also have a locked gate and a security guard at night. Such a great place!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Camino Verde Bed & Breakfast Monteverde
Santa Elena Hostel Resort
Santa Elena Hostel Resort
#12 of 34 in Santa Elena

Been to Pension Santa Elena? Share your experiences!