“An oasis”
Review of Arco Iris Lodge

Arco Iris Lodge
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Arco Iris is like an oasis in the middle of the small but busy town of Santa Elena. As you walk up the driveway you enter a peaceful and beautifully landscaped environment with deckchairs on the lawns inviting relaxation and various cabins dotted around in near seclution from each other. The staff are freindly and helpful, everything is clean, neat and well maintained, the breakfast is truly amazing in it's variety and freshness, the internet worked. I would highly recommend staying here as one is both close to all amenities and at the same time secluded from the busy-ness.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank lobsansopa

Reviewed January 31, 2013

The reason why we keep returning to Arco Iris is quite simply down to the fact that we (that's me and my 2 children 9 & 7 years) always feel at home.

Aside from the fact that it's a convenient location in a beautiful setting, everyone is so friendly and so helpful!

Thank you to everyone at Arco Iris for making us 'foreigners' feel at home!

NickxLukexAmeliex

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank NickStClair
Reviewed January 26, 2013

When I got to the hotel, after a grueling 5 hour drive on dirt road log trails I bottomed out my rental car on the driveway. I was feeling slightly altitude sick. I made my way to reception to be greeted by a nonchalant young woman who was extremely uninformative. Except for the fact she mentioned I may see a scorpion in my room. If you ask me this is no way to be greeted and treated. When I am traveling I want to feel like I'm at home and that the people who run the place actually care and are there to help. I felt like this person thought it was funny. This is no way to run a business. I am unable to sleep and have to leave here tomorrow extremely unrested. I must say the rooms are nice and clean. However I would NEVER recommend this place because of my experience. BTW....they leave their dogs out all night to bark and keep the guests awake. HORRIBLE!!!!!

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Arco Iris lodge was an overall great location to stay for visits to the Monte Verde and Santa elena cloud forest reserves. Everyone mentions a hill to walk up to get to the resort. It honestly isn't that bad unless you aren't walking in a straight line any longer (you know what I mean). Great spot located right near the heart of town. So great to just walk out of your hotel and you can have your choices of what to eat and where to grab food. The breakfast is pricey considering the area. Just walk down the street and you will have some great cafes. It is totally walkable from the nightlife (only bar in town).

The rooms themselves were impressive. My group of four (all friends) were completely comfortable in the superior room. One bunk bed, futon, and queen bed. The showers were rain down showers with two in one bathroom? Little odd but really nice! Was overall a very pleasant experience. You won't get internet service in room 20 but you are on vacation!! Hope this helps if anyone is interested in this hotel just book it! Is filled with a great staff and just beautiful grounds!

Room Tip: Room 20 won't get internet service, but not as far of a walk "up the hill" due to bein...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We were so lucky to find this place by chance after driving for 8 hours all day! We saw the property and thought there was no way we could afford it but decided to check it out, and we are glad we did! The normal rooms were $80 but they had bunk rooms for $35 for 2 people and it was perfect for us! Clean, quiet and really good energy! We loved the green grass and chairs to sit in the sun. Staff were very nice and genuine....we recommend it highly - it was a gem in Costa Rica for us and we only wish we had more time to stay longer!

Room Tip: For those on a budget, ask for the bunk rooms!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HappyRTW
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We loved our stay at Arco Iris. First off, let it be known that this is the best breakfast in town! They have chickens on site, and offer homemade bread, cheese, yogurt, local honey, eggs to order, and if you are at breakfast around 7:30-8am, you are in for a show. There is a group of about 5 capuchins that come for breakfast and don't leave till they get their fill of bananas. These guys are not shy, and if you are sitting next to the window, you will be face to face with this guys.
Our room was nice, although they have more private cabins, but those are hard to book. The room was done in beautiful wood paneling, the bed was good, and there was a tv with HBO. I know, you are thinking "I won't be watching t.v. I will be out where the action is!" But trust me, we were out every day and most nights, and it was good to have a bit of t.v. to watch when we were too exhausted to get back out there. Never underestimate down time, on a vacation.
The water situation is great! They have all potable water throughout the hotel (the town water is supposedly fine to drink) but as if that was not enough, the have filtered water available from a tap in the lobby which is some of the best water I had the whole time I was in Costa Rica. Better than bottled.
There are two friendly "guard dogs" and two little cats that run around, so that was fun. One of the cats hopped right up on my lap on the couch in the lobby. The Arco Iris is right in Santa Elena, so you can walk anywhere for dinner, entertainment, night life, etc...
Keep in mind, it is cold in Monteverde, so get an extra blanket ready if you need one! And the people at the front desk are really helpful booking activities, and transport.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SionnanH
Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

Great place to stay in Santa Elena, just a short walk to lots of restaurants, coffee shops etc. The setting was fantastic with a number of cabins around the property with trails in the grounds, we were accompanied by one of the hotel's dogs when we walked these, one leading to a great viewing point out to to the ocean. Rooms were rustic and comfortable with blankets (it cools down at night) and a wonderful rainfall shower. Staff on reception were great and speak several languages, they helped us book a night wildlife tour on the day of our arrival and a canopy tour - both great value. We also book the jeep-boat-jeep connection to La Fortuna through the hotel at a bargain $25 (the cheapest offer I saw). Breakfast was a well spent $7 with meats, cheese, eggs cooked to order, fruit, cereals, breads and great coffee. The cafe at the foot of the hill (part of the orchid gardens) also serves a fantastic traditional Costa Rican coffee and lovely French toast with blackberry sauce (worth the trip). I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here, well worth the money.

• Stayed: January 2013
#5 of 20 in Monteverde
Monteverde Lodge & Gardens
Monteverde Lodge & Gardens
#3 of 20 in Monteverde

Been to Arco Iris Lodge? Share your experiences!