Hotel Montana Monteverde
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$98
$56
$90
$87
  • Breakfast included
Hotel El Sueno(Santa Elena)
$26
Heliconia Hotel(Monteverde)
$79
$77
  • Breakfast included
All reviewscloud forestmain buildingcosta ricahuge bathtubthe pacific oceanleaf cutter antsrestaurant staffcomfortable bedseggsbeautiful sunsetreception areahummingbird feedersnicoya peninsulastayed here for two nightsbreakfast was includedtown of santa elenabalcony
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 14, 2007

Stayed here for one night in May. Room was large, with two double beds (not kings), a large bath (quite old fashioned) and a balcony overlooking a forest. There was a TV with cable and a phone.
The room was quite comfy but the beds were small and pillows quite lumpy - we didn't get a very good nights sleep here.
There is no air con but it was cool enough in May to stay comfortably without it.
The breakfast was not very good at all - there was no one else staying in the hotel (except for one group of 8) and as such the hotel did not seem to be equipped to look after guest. There was no bar open, you had to pre-book dinner if you wanted it and breakfast was pants.
The location, however, was very good - just down the road from Monteverde and not far from Selvatura (fantastic and safe zip trecking).
I don't think I'd stay here again but as we only paid about $60 per night I suppose you get what you pay for!?

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Bintang
Reviewed April 24, 2007

We arrived at Montana Monteverde and were greeted by a not so happy man. We were directed to our rooms. My husband and I stayed in a deluxe room and our friends stayed in a standard. They were very different. For $40 more, we had more space, more light and it was much cleaner. We all agreed that it was worth it. Our room was clean and airy. We did have a scorpion in our bathroom but that seems pretty common in Monteverde. In the morning the breakfast was very good and the staff was very friendly. When we checked out we had a different gentleman help us and he was very friendly and helpful. Overall, a good value for a clean room and good breakfast, but spring for a deluxe room!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank kaenewyork
Reviewed March 4, 2007

I booked this hotel via Priceline for $65/night. We were to upgraded to a Deluxe Room (without even asking) in the new spacious building that encompasses the lobby and restaurant. The room was very spacious with high ceilings, a fridge, and a HUGE jacuzzi bathtub in a nice skylit bathroom. Our balcony had a nice view...see pics. I agree that it is a bit austere in its decorations but I found the location of the hotel to be very central...within walking distance to an internet cafe and Sofia (probably the best restaurant in town...locals agree). Pizzeria de Johnny was also recommended though I thought it was just OK for me.

Prepare yourself for a gruelling drive up to Monteverde on very hardened rocky/dirt roads....(Its hard to believe with the popularity of this place and the billions of tourism dollars that is coming into Costa Rica, that they can't pave a decent road to Monteverde???) None of the roads even in Monteverde are paved, so prepare yourself to get coated with dust as you walk around and cars pass by.

The staff was very helpful here, exchanging cash, giving tour recommendations, directions, etc. We did experience a non-functioning toilet (which was fixed promptly) and also a several hour interruption in running water due to some road work...

I recommend doing the 100% Aventura canopy tour, we also did The Original Canopy Tour (from Frommer's recommendation) but Aventura was better (much longer, faster and more spectacular cables).

Overall, a great hotel for the price, considering El Sapo Dorado will charge you almost $90 MORE per night than this place.

Stayed: February 2007
3  Thank torreypines
Reviewed February 23, 2007

This was a great find. The hotel has undergone some renovations and the main lobby is big, new and empty. The restaurant was fine. The sunset views looking down to Nicoya were priceless. We were in the old block and the rooms were nice with a great front porch although the bed squeaked so loudly everytime you moved it can wake a person up. Stay in the new blocks and enjoy this gem of a place!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed February 22, 2007

We were moved here for one night on 2/17 due to a problem with another hotel and stayed in room 42. There was no clock or trashcan and the phone didn't work. I know these seem like little things but it is a pain if you have an early tour or something. Also, when I was taking a shower my husband ran his toothbrush under the water in the sink for a split second and I got a huge blast of cold water. This shouldn't be the case at such a "luxury" establishment. When we went up to inquire about the phone not working the lobby just handed us a new one. We thought that was a bit funny actually. :) Our balcony door didn't open either.

That being said this could all be the issue of the remodel. Maybe these rooms weren't quite ready to be rented and were just being used as a favor to El Establo for the error with our reservation. The view from our room was fantastic I must say. I didn't deal with any of the staff in any way. The room was very clean and had fairly good light. I would give them time to finish the remodel. There are lots of other great places to stay in the meantime!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple