“You Just Have to Get There”

Hotel Montana Monteverde
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Santa Elena
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“You Just Have to Get There”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2010

We just returned from a trip to Costa Rica. This hotel was great! We stayed 2 nights on a fly/drive vacation. The drive up is very difficult but WELL worth it! The first morning I was blown away by the view from our balcony. Very friendly staff!

You just have to get there.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Hampton Roads, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2010

We only stayed here one night which is WAY too short a time after driving 5 hours on potholed bumpy road from Arenal. This hotel is very interesting because there is no heat or AC. You can open your patio door to a balcony and see the clouds. The room was very nice with a huge tub to soak in. The free breakfast was so wonderful. You actually are served (no buffet) and can pick between French toast, eggs and pancakes. We saw an agouti running across the lawn while sitting at breakfast. Beware that Costa Rica has many roosters and guinea hens that wake you early no matter where you are! The restaurant was a ghost town except at breakfast as far as I could see. aThe front desk was very helpful and remembers what room you are in after only one time! They have a nice reception area with leather rocking chairs and couches.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2010

I called a handful of hotels in the Santa Elena area before I decided on Hotel Montana Monteverde. The winning factor for me was the friendly receptionists that answered my calls and helped with me with all my questions. I booked an economy room but was told I can take a look at both the economy and the superior rooms upon arrival then decide.

After checking out both rooms, we decided to spend the extra money on the superior rooms. The superior rooms are located in the main hotel building which are newer than the economy rooms. While the economy rooms felt a little dark, the superior rooms were large, spacious and had plenty of sunlight. The rooms were clean with tiled floors, with 2 queen beds and a huge bathroom with a 2 person tub. The open balcony invited a refreshing cool breeze into the room.

The hotel is located at the top part of the main road but the walk into town is manageable. Just be smart when you take the walk as there are many blind turns and fast moving vehicles along the way.

Breakfast is included in the cost of the room so it makes it very convenient if you have activities planned for the morning. We were welcomed with a platter of fresh fruit when we sat at our table and I loved how it wasn't a breakfast buffet like the rest of the hotels we stayed at. Everything was cooked to order, a choice of eggs your way, with either french toast or pancakes. Nothing extravagant but it was satisfying.

The girl at the front desk (who's name I can't seem to remember) made our stay incredibly pleasant. After all our excursions and activities, she would ask us what we thought and whether we enjoyed ourselves. She seemed like she genuinely cared about what people thought of her hometown and had great recommendations to local bars and eats, even recommendations to her favorite spots in Arenal which was our next leg of the trip. She really was the friendliest, the most genuine hotel staff I had encountered which is a big bonus in my book.

All in all, if you're looking for a modest hotel for a mid-range price, I would highly recommend Hotel Montana Monteverde. If you do stay there, make sure you visit Chimera Restaurant which is located only a few stores down the road. It had excellent latin infused tapas!

Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2010

I wouldn't recommend this hotel. Although the rooms were nice and the views were beautiful, the overall feel of the hotel reminded me of the movie Psycho. The lighting wasn't very good in walk ways, no one was ever in the restaurant at the hotel, the man at the front was a little creepy. If I was alone, I would have felt very uncomfortable.

On a positive note, it is a 20 minute walk from the town down a long windy road. The place across the street called El Establo was great! If we go back, i'd definitely try to stay there.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2010

My husband and I stayed here 1 night on our Honeymoon. It was our favourite hotel out of the 3 we stayed at during our trip. It was very clean and the view we had from our room was AMAZING! We could see right over the clouds and we even had a bonus of a 2 person bath which we did not even ask for. We were in room 8 which is in the main building and faces out towards the forest. I would stay there again in a heartbeat! The staff was awesome! Gave us great tips on restaurants and had our laundry done when they said they would! It is also in a great location close to shops. I would go back for sure!

San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2010

Hotel Montana offers one thing you're unlikely to find at all the rest -- unbeatable, friendly service. One thing we will never forget about this hotel is the front desk staff. (I want to say her name is Sylvia(?) but I can't quite remember...) Nonetheless, she is one of the nicest and most accommodating hotel staff members we have met during our long term traveling around Costa Rica so far.

Anything we wanted, needed, or had to arrange, she (and the other guy who's name slips my mind too) -- they were both there to help us. She also has a great personality and always gave a nice wave and a smile whenever we walked by the front desk area.

Our room at this hotel was a bit out of the way but well worth the walk with our luggage. We had a very large KING bed that slept well. Plus, our room included a spectacular view down into the forest/jungle area AND a very sizable bath/spa tub. No jets but big enough for two! :-)

The location is not that close to the main town (Santa Elena) but it's no worry since taxis are very cheap in the Monteverde area. Also, there are some VERY good restaurants within short walking distance of the hotel. Sofia and Chimera are both just up the road (see my reviews for both) and are excellent -- very tasty and very reasonably priced.

The breakfast at Hotel Montana is also a great deal. Included with our room price, the breakfast was served each morning in the cozy but nice restaurant on-site. No buffet lines here folks -- they take your order and bring the food + coffee straight to your table. (We recommend the pinto gallo with eggs. And the French Toast is delish...)

When you check-in to Hotel Montana, you might also ask to see the tarantualas on the night hike. Don't worry, they're nowhere near your room but a cool bonus to see while staying there...

New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2010

This hotel was a little difficult to get to, since it's at the top of some very steep, unpaved roads. It was a great value and had fantastic service, though. Plus, it was within walking distance of some restaurants and attractions, like the butterfly garden. The hotel, rooms and restaurant were pretty no-frills, but it was a perfectly suitable hotel. We only wished they had computers with internet for public use!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Monteverde Lodge & Gardens
Monteverde Lodge & Gardens
#3 of 21 in Monteverde
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,054 reviews

Been to Hotel Montana Monteverde? Share your experiences!