“Good views and set in nice woodlands, plenty of nearby walking.”

Hotel Montana Monteverde
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Santa Elena
Reviewed March 19, 2009

We spent 2 nights here and after the journey over arenal lake and through some of the most amazing mountainside with the worse roads I have ever experienced,we were grateful to find comfort at this hotel.
It is a bit tired in parts of the hotel but the renovated main building is ok, the dining area was lacking in warmth and atmosphere,but the food was very good and excellently served.
The manager wanders around and does his best to be friendly but I don't think this is in his nature, he allowed me to use their office to access the internet and we spoke and I got the impression he does not give a fig about any reviews he won't change anything.The staff are very hard working and never stop.We walked the hotels trail and saw lots of leaf cutting ants . There is a park about 10 minutes walk away near the butterfly place we would recommend paying the $10 for, here we saw monkeys, waterfalls views and various birds.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends

Reviewed March 14, 2009

My friend and I stayed in a basic room at the Hotel Montana Monteverde for two days. We found the staff to be quite hospitable. They suggested cheap, great food in Santa Elena at The Coffee Bar (see separate review) and were always helpful in arranging taxis and answering all of our questions.

This hotel is on the pricey side compared to some other places, but we wanted a place with a great view and something to do since the surrounding towns seem to shut down after 10pm. Montana Monteverde did not disappoint. The jacuzzi and sauna were great (fixed as promised and were relaxing, providing a warm and beautiful respite after a day of hiking and zip-lines). Make sure you make an appointment, they are well worth the time spent, especially during a sunset.

The grounds are lush and full of beautiful flowers and trees. The orange trees outside our little cabin were fragrant day and night, adding to the ambiance. We saw lots of birds and bugs around the hotel. The small nature trail on site was fun. We didn't see much while walking it, but it was a nice little hike.

Our room was clean and spacious. We loved the porch and windows (the curtains were nice and heavy, kept the morning sun off our eyes until we were ready to wake up and greet the day). We found two rather smallish scorpions. One was chilling in the corner of the closet, and the other was chilling under our mattress. However, we dispatched of these unwanted visitors rather easily. We expected to find a few bugs, being so far in the forest, so we weren't upset. But we did do a scorpion check each night before sleeping.

The breakfast was delicious and ample! The gallo pinto, french toast and fruit were brilliant. You can order whatever you like, and eat so heartily you won't even need lunch after hiking for the morning/early afternoon. The servers were very friendly and the food was fantastic. It was a bit pricey and limited for us at dinner, so we headed into town.

We had a great time here and were not bored at all. Like most places I'd guess in Monteverde, it was noisy with all the wind, so keep that in mind when visiting and sleeping in any hotel here. Also, the showers were nice and hot, which was great since it was kind of cold while we were there.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 10, 2009

The room was the best of our trip. Great view from the walk out porch. Huge bathroom with a huge tub big enough for two. Very quiet. Great restaurant. Hot tub spa has a great view of the sunset. Easy walk to restaurants in town.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Brent G
Reviewed January 4, 2009

We came with friends and took 3 rooms for 3 nights. The view from the hotel is great and the location is good. The rooms, while big with 2 double beds, are very basic and it seems no renovation was done there for at least 15 years. Rooms had some moldy smell and the beds linen were quite old.

Breakfast (included) was large and a great way to begin the full days there.

The hotel staff gave a general impression of doing the minimum almost under protest. During our 3 nights there, we haven't been able to see a single smile from the hotel staff. When our daughter fell in the lobby and needed something to stop the blood, they recommended we pick toilet paper from the restroom.

Monteverde is a great place to be. The Zip-line is a must. The hotel is OK if you know what to expect.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed August 10, 2008

Hotel Montana Monteverde was wonderful. It is obvious that the hotel underwent some renovations and it was well worth it. The view off of our balcony was magnificent. The atmosphere was very peaceful and everything was clean. The food was good and reasonably priced and there were other restaurants within walking distance if you want more variety. They had some great excursions and the staff was more than helpful in booking them. The woman at the front desk made recommendations and she was right on the money with everything. The hotel offers a night walk with a guide that allows for viewing tarantulas, huge ant mounds, parrots, etc. in their natural habitat. I cannot imagine a better place to stay!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travelsgaloreOhio
Reviewed July 29, 2008

This Hotel has Bed Bugs. I asked the Manager to come to the room after I woke up and found two bugs on my bed. I had insect bite all over my neck, arms and legs. When he came to the room he killed the bugs and threw them away. I told him I thought they were bed bugs and he pretended not to know what I was talking about. When I got back to the states, I went to my doctor who confirmed I had bed bugs. My neck, arms, and legs were infected. It's a miserable itchy condition and wouldn't wish it on anyone.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank Melissa C
Reviewed April 10, 2008

I stayed at Montana Monteverde for 2 nights in the end of March. The hotel lobby and restaurant itself is quite lovely and looks newly redone. The room we had was very spacious and clean, but the bed was really uncomfortable.

The daily breakfast that is included in the rate is simple, but delicious and fresh.

Since the hotel is perched on a hill, the views are magnificent, but the walk to town is quite a trek (specially on the return).

Santa Elena is a really lovely little town. We were there during Easter week, so the town was a little quiet. But that weekend a big music festival was starting and the town was getting more lively.

I cannot wait to go back to Monteverde. It is very beautiful and scenic. But when I return, I would probably stay at another hotel due to the comfort level of the room, although the staff was very sweet and helpful.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with friends
Monteverde Country Lodge
#6 of 7 in Santa Elena
Los Pinos - Cabanas y Jardines
Monteverde Cloud Forest Lodge

Been to Hotel Montana Monteverde? Share your experiences!