“If you like orchids...”

Monteverde Orchid Garden
Ranked #1 of 18 things to do in Santa Elena
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Monteverde Orchid Garden is a place where you can enjoy beauty that is found in the marvelous world of orchids. Our garden has a large collection of orchids; we have more than 425 different species. You can find species that are endemic to Monteverde, and a collection of miniature orchids, including the smallest one in the world. We offer guided walks both in English and Spanish. We are in a great location in down town Santa Elena.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
New hampshire
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“If you like orchids...”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

My husband and I visited the orchid garden one afternoon just prior to closing. The garden is a collection of orchids attached to trees or under a greenhouse with winding cement pathways. While small, they have around 400 different types of orchids. Not all of these are in bloom at the same time however- during our trip we probably saw around 100 different flowers.
We took the guided tour which was excellent! Our guide (katelyn?) was very knowledgeable and spoke English very well. The majority of the orchids which were in bloom while we were there were mini orchids- many required a hand held magnifying glass to appreciate the colors and details. I would not have enjoyed the garden nearly as much without the tour, as it is very hard to find some of the blooms when they are so small!

The garden does not take credit cards, however it was only $10 or so per person and well worth it! If you are traveling to monteverde (or anywhere in Costa Rica) you can't expect small businesses to take credit cards.

I would gladly return to the orchid garden!

Visited February 2013
1 Thank KAR0814

• Hebrew first
Boulder, Colorado
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Does not take credit cards”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

This garden does not take credit cards. We were very disappointed not to be able to see the orchids. Staff was very unfriendly.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank sydsnoise
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Give yourself 45 minutes to an hour and learn about orchids!”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

This small orchid garden, located behind a cafe, offers an amazing look at orchids -- not the hybrid type we're used to seeing in the U.S., but the multitude of varieties that are native to the cloud forests...including some so small, if you don't see them in the Monteverde Orchid Garden, you'll never spot them out in the forest. Have lunch first at the Orchid Garden Cafe and get $2 off the $10 admission to the garden (even at $10, it's still a good deal).

Visited January 2013
1 Thank seans873
The Hague, The Netherlands
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Splendid small suprise in St Elena”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

May be it is a small garden but there is an amazing number of orchids, most of them with beautiful flowers (large and very very small). Guide was very enthousisatic and informative. I have learned a lot about orchids. We spend almost two hours there. There were beautiful birds as well. Flowers are attractive to anyone!

Visited December 2012
Vienna, Virginia
53 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“Loved it and I'm not a flower person at all!!”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I didn't want to visit this place as I'm more fauna than flora, but my wife talked me into it. And for the Nth time, it served as a reminder for why I should always listen to her!! :-)

The Orchid Garden was beautiful... ...so many different orchids, and of varying sizes. I was blown away by the tiny orchids that you had to see with a magnifying glass. Our guide was a young girl who was extremely knowledgeable about orchids so the tour was entertaining and educational.

I recommend the Orchid Garden. I have a new found respect for Orchids, and I am not lying when I write that I bought violet orchids for my house a week after we got back from CR.

Visited December 2012