“Rude staff, only interested in commission”

Hotel Sloth Backpackers Bed & Breakfast
Perth, Australia
“Rude staff, only interested in commission”
Reviewed February 7, 2011

My partner and I spent 1 night at sloth backpackers and were really disappointed. Although the hostel itself was fine: decent kitchen and rooms, relatively clean. The downsides were the lack of areas to hang out and one of the toilets was missing a toilet seat.
The problem we had were the staff. They were very rude and pushy, and when they realized we didn't want to do a tour, they basically asked us to leave the hostel! Also, when we arrived they only had one double room and we were 3 people (my partner and I and a friend looking for a single room or dorm). Rather than being helpful, the girl on reception wouldn't tell our friend which direction to go in to find another hostel and told us that the whole town was full (typical crap hostel lie, I know).
I would not recommend this hostel to anyone - you can get a far better deal elsewhere in town.

• Stayed February 2011
3 Thank KTonline
Monteverdehostel, Propietario at Hotel Sloth Backpackers Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, February 23, 2011
Thank you for your comment, this is a small hostel with 5 bedrooms, a kitchen very comfortable, free breakfast, hammocks area, shared bathrooms very clean, very clean, personal attention by the 2 sisters good attention to our guests.
I am very sorry if I had not room for 3 people, but if you try to help get a room for your friend in another hostel, he does not want to pay the price I'm sorry, now you are a couple you paid for one night I wonder if going to stay another night and you do not know, sorry but I need to rent the room to others who make a reservation.
Pura Vida

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 6, 2011

Awesome place to stay would highly recommend staying there. Next time I go back I'm staying there again. Free Wifi and they have a computer if you don't a digital device to get wifi on. Plus, you get free breakfast, Gaby and her sister working the front desk were amazing with their kindness and knowledge of the area. Also as a bonus they even walked out side the hostel to point out 2 actual Sloths that usally "hanging out" about 100 meters from the hostel.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Bocas del Toro
Reviewed February 1, 2011

A perfect spot to hang around while your in Monteverde! The owners are the best; they help you with everything you need.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank DutchFish
Santa Elena, Costa Rica
Reviewed January 22, 2011

Very good hostel with hospital owners, all services OK, pleasant stay. Good value price - quality. Optimal for backapckers.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank nuf85
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed January 15, 2011

Yorleni was a friendly hostess, and helpful with all tour preparations,etc. I had awesome time in Monteverde, and would recommend Sloth Backpackers to anyone, especially couples on a budget or solo travelers who want a home style Costa Rican atmosphere to relax in for a while. I traveled the central Pacific Coast, Monteverde, and Arenal for ten days and this was the only place I couldn't help but stay more than one night.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bread363
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed January 8, 2011

The Sloth Sackpackers Hostel in Monteverde was by far my best experience with a hostel while in Costa Rica. The two sisters who run this hostel were extremely nice and were a great resource for helping my friend and I plan our stay in Monteverde. The rooms are clean and affordable and a stray icludes breakfast as well as free wi-fi. I felt safe staying here and was confident that my possessions were safe as well while I was out enjoying the sights. Both sisters even took the time to take my friend and I out to find a sloth (which they found) because we had not seen one yet. Overall it was a great experience and I would recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
#5 of 35 in Santa Elena
Santa Elena Hostel Resort
Santa Elena Hostel Resort
#13 of 35 in Santa Elena

Been to Hotel Sloth Backpackers Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!