“Meh - not bad” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Tree House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Santa Elena
Hotel Tree House
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Santa Elena
Miami, Florida
“Meh - not bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2010

The Bueno - First of, this place is right in the middle of St. Elena so the location can't be beat (not that St. Elena is a sprawling metropolis). But it was nice having all the restaurants, grocery stores, shops, and travel agencies next door. The restaurant was trendy with really excellent live music but overpriced food. The free parking in front was appreciated since we rented a car. Especially because there was security in the premises at night who could keep an eye on the cars parked right in front. I had a major crush on the girl working downstairs and wasn't too upset that it took 4 trips to the lobby to get my wifi to work properly. And the price was great for $45 for a double room.

The mal - uncomfortable bed. The mattress was old and firm, and the flimsy sheet was too small for the mattress so inevitably you would wake up with the sheet pulled off and your face pressed against the mattress. No AC (but it wasn't really needed since the climate was cool). The music from the bar next door is really loud, and definitely makes it difficult to go to sleep since it is so close. We stayed in room #3 and the damn door stop was loose and would fall down, making closing the door impossible unless you physically picked up the door stop to close the door.

Overall, it was a good value and good location so I would probably stay here again but the rooms are of the 2 star basic variety without AC (but with hot water). Don't let the appearance of the nice restaurant fool you - there is a large disparity in quality between the restaurant and hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Montreal, Quebec
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2010

We stayed at this hotel 2 nights in the summer of 2008. The rooms are a good size and very clean. It is a very secure hotel (a security guard asks you your key and room number at night, which can also be annoying if you go in and out often). The breakfast is amazing since you can choose from the regular menu and everything tasted great. The restaurant at night is lovely.
The free internet access is a major plus.
The first night, we had a huge room fit for a group! The other night we were in a regular room, but it was noisy in both rooms. There is a bar behind the hotel and they play music quite loud until 11pm. Overall, an ok hotel.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
washington, dc
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2009

We stayed here for two nights during our stint in Monteverde/Santa Elena area. We chose not to rent a car, so we were somewhat limited to staying in the downtown area of Santa Elena. First the pros of the Tree House Hotel: great full breakfast, awesome coffee and nice waiters. Centrally located and an easy walk to various restaurants, activites, etc. Now the cons: this hotel is 2 star a best. Overall it was an adequate, budget hotel that I would put in on a scale of about a Motel 6/Red Roof Inn back home. We got a good deal and chose to spend our money on food, activities (do the Extremo Zipline tour - highly recommended) but the beds just about killed us by Night #2. I have never slept on a harder, more uncomfy matress! All in all, an ok place to stay if you want to be in downtown Santa Elena and don't want to spend more than $50 on a room.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jewellsweetpea
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2009

Pro: It's in the middle of the town. The staff are friendly. Breakfast is included. The coffee are very pretty (they create art with the foam in latte & capuccino).

Con: There's a night club just behind the hotel and the window just let the sound come through. The sheets and blankets are not clean. I got bug bites. I couldn't get any sleep at all because the noise and being biten awake. The food in the restaurant are too salty.

In conclusion: I recommend not to stay here.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank J_B_BEAR

Travelers are raving about these Santa Elena hotels

Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2009

I'll start my review by mentioning the good things about this hotel (there were a couple): it was a great location (right in the middle of Santa Elena), the room was clean and had an in room safe, the restaurant was good.
Now the bad: Customer service does not exist at this hotel. I paid for my room in advance through Anywherecostarica.com and had a voucher showing my room paid in full. The girl at the front desk could not find my reservation and kept insisting I owed for the room (in full). I did not have this problem with any other hotel I booked through Anywherecostarica.com. using the vouchers, so I believe this was a hotel problem. They finally figured out that I had a room reserved and it was paid for but were so unfriendly (almost rude) about the entire situation. I didn't encounter one friendly person that worked here during my stay of 2 nights.
Don't expect to get a good nights sleep here due to the constant noise. There is a dance club next door and it's very loud. I found myself locked out of the hotel one night and had to find help getting in since the staff failed to mention that the front doors are locked after a certain hour and there is a bell (at the top of the door) to ring for the security guard. I'm not a picky traveler and the service has to be pretty bad for me to complain. Trust me, this place has the worst customer service in Costa Rica!

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The staff and service!!!
  • Stayed February 2009
2 Thank soloadventurer
Boston, MA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2008

As other reviewers have said, the bathrooms are not spectacular but the price is right! My two friends and i stayed one night during a hurricane, and while I was offput by the linoleum floor and cheap-looking bedspreads, having two restaurants in the building proved to be a godsend! The proprietor also seems very nice, which was a nice change from some other hotels we visited during our trip.

PS - the Italian restaurant in the building has arguably the best garlic bread I've ever tasted. EVER.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Israel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2008

We arrived at Santa Elena in Monteverde looking for a place to stay. We heard a recommendation from a friend and came here. It is a really unique place with the huge tree inside the hotel. Two nice restaurants are available inside, both offer live music every night. The rooms are clean but the shower wasn't amazing. Also, it stays a bit loud at least until 10PM. Great location straight in the middle of Santa Elena.
All in all, very good stay in a unique place and good location.

• Liked — Unique, great location, good restaurants
  • Disliked — Loud
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Santa Elena
#8 of 23 in Monteverde
Sunset Hotel Monteverde
Sunset Hotel Monteverde
#10 of 23 in Monteverde

Been to Hotel Tree House? Share your experiences!