“Food was average, dessert and hot chocolate was awesome!”

Tree House Restaurante & Cafe
Ranked #8 of 47 Restaurants in Santa Elena
Cuisines: Costa Rican, Peruvian, Cafe
Good for: Families with children
Description: At the Tree House we offer a unique ambiance, we have a huge ficus tree in the middle of the restaurant.Our menu has many options, from snacks, beer and cocktails to a complete diner with a great wine.Our coffee is very special, one the best coffees in Costa Rica, we roast it ourselves and have 4 great Baristas who will make a perfect coffee, you will get incredible latte art! Our staff is very friendly. We really care about customers, so if you have any issues at the restaurant please work it out with us and we promise we will give you a satisfying solution! Thanks!
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I was here a few weeks ago with a large group and we all had a great time. No complaints from anyone in the group about the food or service. Some liked what they ordered more than others. I ordered a typical dish (rice, beans, chicken) which was just okay. I also tried the pizza and some other dishes and found everything to be pretty good. Not great, but good enough for being in the mountains in a small town in Costa Rica. Some reviews commented on the prices, but being from the NY area I didn't feel like the food or drinks were too expensive. I would recommend this place to large groups or families. They have plenty of seating and a lot of options on the menu. Enjoy.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

This can be best described as an overpriced tourist trap. The food is average at best and the environment is too loud to hold a conversation with someone sitting across from you.

The wait staff take your order with smart phones, which can be off-putting at first when you're wondering why they are looking at their phones so often.

amurillo, Owner at Tree House Restaurante & Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

First of all, thanks for visiting the Tree House. We are really sorry you did not enjoy our restaurant.

The smart phones are a tool for us, sometimes customers start with a bad attitude to the waiter because the think they are checking facebook or texting, but they really are taking your order to serve you quickly.

Let me be completely clear about the Tree House being a tourist trap, we are not, we are a tourist attraction, every tourist in town want to have a picture between the branches of our tree, but that does not make us a trap, we are just pretty popular.

We offer a wide variety of dishes, all made with fresh and high quality ingredients.

We serve lots of people every month, we are busiest restaurant in town, this is because we are good. We wish everything were perfect every time, but sometimes we make mistakes, when that happens we would like to know in order to make it up to our customers and also to be aware we made a mistake.

Thank you.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

The driver who broght us to monteverde recommended tree house. We went to check it out and were not overly impressed. It is exciting for a second cuz there is a tree in the middle. The food was quite average, we found some much better spots to dine in Monteverde.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

As we are driving to Hotel Belmare, the cab drier could not stop talking about how we have to go to the tree house. Well that what it was, a tree inside of a house... I would suggest going for a drink to check it out, but skip the food. Total tourist trap. The service was ok, the food was average and I wished I would have gone to a better place after leaving. My wife had the local costa rica plate (forget the name) with fish and I had some rice and chicken dish. My wifes dish was ok, mine turned out to be fried rice, the kind you would find at a Chinese restaurant, but with way to much soy sauce. So it was like eating really salty chicken. Didn't even stay for desert, which is huge as we always eat desert. Our bill was close to $50usd, We each had a drink with our meal. Like I said above, worth to see it, just grab a drink.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

My family and I ate here for lunch while we were in Santa Elena on vacation. It was the first place we came across and it looked really interesting (a restaurant with a live tree growing in it...hmmm). I think this is a really great place, on a good day. Unfortunately, on this day, our waiter was not particularly attentive or friendly, and he forgot my son's drink with the order (which did not come for some time). The food was good, except for my daughter's vegetarian dish, which consisted of mashed potatoes and veggies - only cold and very uninviting. The waiter could surely have seen that this is not quite what she would have wanted before the order went in, but then he was pretty non-communicative most of the time. I am a firm believer that people are what make places and experiences, and this is surely the case with this restaurant. So it gets three stars from me, even if it probably deserves four.