“Simply The Best!”

Ranked #1 of 14 Santa Elena B&B and Inns
Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
“Simply The Best!”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

My brother and I had an amazing time during our stay at Camino Verde in February of 2013. The staff was extremely welcoming, friendly, and helpful, and the laid back atmosphere was wonderful to come back to after each long day of exploring Monteverde. The rooms, showers, and bathrooms were always exceptionally clean, and the showers were always hot. Great kitchen area for making your own food, and a nice flat screen screen TV that plays old school music videos all day :). Great location, great people, free wifi, included breakfast (I would recommend the pancakes and fruit; it's yummy!), comfortable rooms, and clean amenities all at a great price! Camino Verde definitely made our stay in Monteverde a great one, and it will always be my one and only choice when traveling to the area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed March 4, 2013

My family had the pleasure of staying 2 nights at Camino Verde in Santa Elena. Andres and Jose are super helpful and very friendly. Check in was quick and efficient and once checked in they helped us plan all of our activities for the area. It was so easy, and everything was perfect. The room was clean and there is a good kitchen area for making your own lunch/supper if you want. Breakfast was included and there were 4 options to choose from. My kids loved it and although the rooms are small, the friendliness of the staff and the welcoming feel that we received more than made up for it. I would recommend visiting Camino Verde if a stay in Santa Elena is in your plans.

Room Tip: We had a room with a private bath which was nice for our family.
North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed March 4, 2013

If you're going to visit Monteverde staying here is a MUST!

My friend and I travelled to Costa Rica and was planning on staying in Monteverde for a couple nights and found this place on trip advisor, liked the reviews so we booked 2 nights. We were greeted by a very happy Andres at the front desk and he helped us out with EVERYTHING. As soon as we checked in he was helping us book all of our tours and shuttles and basically everything else we needed. EXCELLENT service and very fun to talk to.

We got checked into our room which was great, it felt like a cabin inside with a bunk bed and queen with private bathroom. We are from Canada and instantly felt like home. The room was very clean, cozy, good lighting, and comfortable beds.

The main area of the place is very very nice. Very open and bright, cozy, and inviting. When we weren't out and about exploring the town you would find us just hanging out in the dinning area drinking tea or coffee or chatting with the other guests.

Breakfast in the mornings are included and are wonderful! We had pancakes and scrambled eggs both mornings because they were delicious.

It's a perfect little place to relax at after being out and about all day walking in the forest or zip lining through it. We didn't want to leave! It's in a great location right next to a great restaurant to get dinner, a mini market for snacks, and only 5 min walk from the main bit of town.

If we do ever go back to Costa Rica we are definitely making another trip to Camino Verde!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Coral Springs, Florida
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Thanks to Jose, the owner, Andres (hope I got name right), and another young man who works there for a great stay. Stayed two nights--we had just come from Tabacon in Arenal area and paid six times as much for the same quality--least we had hot water, nice room. Jose arranged me transportation to San Jose airport which went smooth as could be. Just great all around helpful staff.

Breakfast always excellent (I'm hungry thinking about it and I just finished dinner), 5 choices (and I am VERY particular). Sent me on a coffee plantation tour (excellent and fun), my son ziplining. Only recommendation didn't love was the Nature Reserve. If you're into plants and a small hike, fine, but otherwise, do Cano Negro and see all of the animals (may be a little far from Monteverde). Assistants were all nice---everybody pleasant. I've never stayed in a 'hostel' before, don't even know what makes it a hostel (no T.V.?--but who cares, everything either soccer or not in English). Jose and the owner and everyone else there will make all of your reservations for you. Sent me to two three very good restaurants that I picked out from Trip Advisor--Sabor Tico (dirt cheap, excellent Costa Rican food, VERY casual)--another Italian restaurant 5 minutes away with excellent pizza (forget the name), very reasonable, and they selected think it was called Morphos--and sit outside for lunch--gorgeous environment.

Rooms were very clean. Heard some wind, but we carry a "soundmaker" that makes different sounds that drowns out extraneous noise (if you don't have one, you will hear dogs barking, roosters, etc.). Slightly incovenient entrance (and a little scary) if you enter the larger building at night (very dark, somewhat difficult to find back entrance--guys--get your gets a key to the front door of that building--both me and my son made the wroing turn and a dog scared the heck out of us when we had to go in the back way after 8;30. Not a hostel as I thought of one, our room had a decent bathroom.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We were there only for one night in between the cloud forest and arenal.

The best of it is probably José who arranged everything. He arranged our shuttle from san josé to monteverde at the last minute... we called him at 7am on a sunday morning and we had a shuttle to pick us up at 8h !!! Nobody else would answer on a sunday morning ...

Then gave us the indication to the Children's Eternal Rainforest (even called them for us and arranged a taxi to get us there). To thank him, we decided to book a night there between Children's Eternal Rainforest and our next stay in arenal. He helped us again by sending a taxi to pick us up at the forest, booking the coffee tour in the afternoon, booking our transfert to arenal the next morning... and even doing our laundry for almost nothing !

The room and bathroom were great, clean, comfortable. Internet works fine. 5 min from city centre...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I got to Camino Verde from San Jose (after a bumpy ride). I was greeted by Jose, who made my stay very pleasant there. He booked all of my transportation, tours, etc. with a smile. The room itself was very simple, and I couldn't operate the TV (not anyone's fault). There was a quiet area with rocking chairs right outside my door, which was great for just checking e-mails and reading.

The actual town was only a couple-minute walk from the B&B. There is a super market right up the hill, where you can buy groceries to bring back and make your food in the kitchen. The kitchen and the sitting area were great for mingling and meeting new people, and watching excessive amounts of soccer ;)

The breakfast in the morning was also a plus. There is also tea and coffee throughout the day, which was a nice touch.

I am giving this place a four-star because of the shower. Needed a course to figure out how to get the hot water out. A warm shower would have been nice after a couple of the hikes.

Room Tip: I had room 18. It was nice and secluded.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Philippines
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We stayed for 5 nights in Monteverde and had a blast. Jose & Andres were really helpful in booking our chosen tours. They suggest the most appropriate tours for the season -- we were able to see tons of birds including the quetzal in the cloud forest & had a great time with the zipline/canopy tour. They also helped us booking our bus tickets from Monteverde to Nicaragua.

As for the hostel, the room we had was small but cozy. Overall ambiance is clean & nice. We also used the kitchen to prepare breakfast several times. Wifi/Internet is fast & reliable.

Location is more than perfect. The town is about 5-7 minute walk from the B&B.

One of the highlights of staying in Camino Verde is the soda/restaurant beside it -- La Amistad. Andres recommended us this place on our first day & we ate there everyday for 5 days. They serve homey & delicious Costa Rican dishes. My boyfriend had gallo pinto for dinner for five straight nights!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel Belmar
Hotel Belmar
#1 of 20 in Monteverde
Monteverde Cloud Forest Lodge

Been to Camino Verde Bed & Breakfast Monteverde? Share your experiences!