“Good, but not great”

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Santa Elena
Thousand Oaks, California
“Good, but not great”
Reviewed March 19, 2011

The rooms were very spacious and there were two double beds for the two of us. The shower was not ideal. We were there at the same time a large group of teenagers were staying there. They were extremely loud and were running up and down the halls at all hours. No one made any attempt to keep them quiet for the non-group guests. There were no televisions in the rooms and the wi-fi only worked slowly in the eating area. The breakfast was very nicely sized. It was a good meal. The only trouble was when we came down in the morning to eat, they told us we would have to wait as the "group" was eating at that time and they could not accommodate us. It was unbelievable. Luckily, they noticed my dismay and offered to pull up a small table for us. The tours from the hotel were way overpriced. Definitely check with other locations before booking. The back rooms are the best for location and views of the forest. The price was rather high for the area. We ended up staying at a different hotel because of the noise level and lack of customer service.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed March 4, 2011

We were well received, the owners are very nice, the rooms were very clean, perfect for a family of 5 travalling on a budget, breakfast included. We took tours with the hotel and we were more than satisfied. Well located in the center of Santa Elena, close to everything.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed March 3, 2011

As a solo traveler it was nice to have such a big room all to myself with it's own bathroom for such a cheap price. The people at the front desk were very helpful with booking tours and getting picked up from the hotel for the tours was free. The breakfast was great. Made to order with eggs, gallo pinto, fresh fruit and coffee/tea. I felt very comfortable and safe staying there and even though the walls were fairly thin it was quiet at night and easy to get some sleep. They also offered to wash my clothes which were muddy from the rainforest tour. Overall, great experience for my budget.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Houston, Texas
Reviewed December 6, 2010

When I first checked in, the owner's son was very helpful (he spoke very good english). The room was fine for what you pay, but very simple and cleanliness was suspect. It was very noisy and I did not trust the shower, it looked like it was going to fall apart at any second.

After checking in, I tried to book a shuttle to Liberia the following afternoon, but there were no shuttles available. The owner's son then told me that I could not get to Liberia the following day. He also said the bus was complicated and I'd be better off getting a private shuttle. He offered to drive me there for $100 or for $60, he'd take me to the highway where I could catch a bus easily. Everyone that I had encountered up to this point in Costa Rica were beyond helpful, so I believed him at first. I began to grow suspect of his good intentions when he asked if it was ok if his wife and daughter came along. I then told him to forget it and that I would figure out the bus. He told me the bus left at 730 so I should try to be at the bus station by 715. I double checked the information and it turned out the bus actually left at 6am. Unfortunately for him, I made my bus and got the heck away from him and his scheming.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank flower4479

Travelers are raving about these Santa Elena hotels

Attu Island, Alaska
Reviewed October 31, 2010

Hotel Sueno was an okay stay, you get what you pay for, the staff was friendly and the parking was free and safe. The room was clean but we looked for bugs (just in case) we didn’t see any but didn’t feel comfortable either. The old comforters had seen better days. The shower was a little scary and the place seem to be constructed hap-hazardly. The views were also not very appealing. The rooms did not have A/c but my wife and I were there in Oktober so it was not a big deal. The rooms are basic with no phone, amenities or anything you’d find in most hotels. It’s a great no frills place to crash but not very appealing for comfortable relaxing stays. $35 bucks is a fair price but the staff was unwilling to negotiate with the price.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
South Padre Island, Texas
Reviewed February 22, 2010

In the tourist town of Santa Elena in the mountains, this is one of the cheapest hotels ($35 for two), but it may also be the worst. No A/C and room was very hot with only a small window that would open. We were saved by the cool night air for sleeping. Bottom rough sheets came off the bed at night, no mattress pad. Bathroom sink was tiny, wobbly, had only cold water. Shower was essentially cold. Breakfast was meager but cooked. Computer for guests was very slow. One good thing - the parking was secure and private.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
'Burgh, PA
Reviewed August 21, 2009

Absolutely loved my stay at the Hotel El Sueno! Just spent the past 7 Nights in Costa Rica (1 in San Jose, 2 in La Fortuna, 1 in Santa Elena, 2 in Manuel Antonio, and 1 in Alajuela) and liked Hotel El Sueno the best. The place has a very homey feel and Rafa and his family are very warm and gracious hosts. Any questions I had or anything I needed in or around town, Rafa was able to provide and give us his tips and advice. Definitely top-notch all the way. Another plus side to the hotel was the location... Noise wasn't a problem for me as the hotel is about a block from the main street... I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
#10 of 20 in Monteverde
Cala Lodge
Cala Lodge
#4 of 20 in Monteverde

Been to Hotel El Sueno? Share your experiences!