“Laidback Mtn. Town”

Cabinas El Pueblo Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 15 Santa Elena B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 3, 2011

This place was ideally located in this small Costa Rican mountain town. The hostel had outstanding staff and great security. Staff was also very knowledgeable on the area and helpful in setting up activities. The rooms were superb, clean, well furnished and spacious. The free breakfast and coffee was an additional bonus.

P.S. If you get a chance you should do the coffee/sugar cane tour as well!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed April 20, 2011

This place was an excellent choice for our quick stay in Santa Elena. We spent 2 nights in a private room and it was perfect. Clean room and bathroom, nice patio with hammock chairs, TV with HBO, and our room had a refrigerator. The family that owns the property are very friendly and they want to make sure you have an awesome time. The hotel is location just around the corner from the main street with shopping, restaurants, and markets. The staff were able to set up transportation to our next town and any tour we wanted to do while in town. Hands down the best choice in Santa Elena. Also, turn left out of the hotel and walk 2 minutes up the road to Soda la Amistad, delicious!

Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 17, 2011

Our stay here was great! Not only were the rooms clean, comfortable and at a very reasonable rate (private room w/ private bath) but Freddy and Marlenny really went out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed. They helped us out when one of our tours almost didn't work out (always book through the hostel so that this doesn't happen to you!! Lesson learned!) They made phone calls for us and helped us work everything out. They truly care about your stay in Santa Elena and Costa Rica! Great people!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 14, 2011

I stayed in the hostel with a couple of friends, and we hadn't booked any accommodation before turning up in Santa Elena. A member of staff approached us as we got off the bus, offering $8 each per night for a private room for the three of us. We checked out the room first, handed over our money, and happily never regretted it.

The staff were friendly and helpful - they booked us onto a night hike and a canopy tour (with Extremo) and we were picked up from right outside the hostel. Both tours I highly recommend - especially the canopy tour!

The room was basic, nothing fancy, but what can you expect for the price?! It was much better than my hostel in San Jose, where I paid at least three times as much. It gets quite cool at night, but there were plenty of blankets and I slept like a baby! Admittedly I was really tired, but it was pretty quiet and comfortable.

The hostel is located right next to the town centre, so only a minute from restaurants and a supermarket. The free breakfast was an added bonus, and the communal hammocks were nice for chilling out in. The shower worked ok, with hot water.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 19, 2011

This place is great value for what you get. I paid $25 single for a private room with hot water showers and fridge, comfortable bed and balcony. Breakfast is also included. You have to write on the board before 8pm if you want breakfast. I didn't do it before 8 the one day, so the lady they call to make breakfast wasn't there in the morning. If someone else staying there is having an early breakfast, then you will be ok. The breakfast included coffee, fresh fruit, pancakes and juice. I think it was scrambled eggs the day I missed. It is an easy walk of 2 minutes to get to the grocery store in town from here and there are lots of restaurants within walking distance. The hotel will book tours for you.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed January 5, 2011

Everything you could ask for in a economical hostel and more! This hostel is part of a string of businesses run by the same family. To my knowldege there are two hostels, El Pueblo and Sloth right next door. These are run by two sisters who are both extremely kind, helpful and bilingual. Their mother runs a local Soda down the street with excellent food and the same friendly atmosphere found in the hostels.

Cooking must run in the family as there is a delicious free breakfast every morning and food options change daily ranging from pancakes to omlettes always with a plate of fresh fruit.

The hostel is located conviently right near the center of town, with everything you need in walking distance. You can also arrange all your tours directly through the hostel, which i highly reccomend as they do not charge cancellation fees.

All in all, i would highly reccomend this hostel to anyone!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank meggie2187
Reviewed July 15, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at Cabinas El Pueblo for 3 nights. It was in a really good location, right next to town which has anything you could need, restaurants, pharmacy, post office, souvenir shops, travel agency, supermarket etc.

There is free internet, free breakfast, and the beds are made and cleaned every day. The bed was really comfortable and I am a light sleeper and found it really easy to sleep because of how quiet it was!

I think the best part of the hostel are the hosts. They are extremely accomodating and friendly! I got sick when I first arrived here, and they were so helpful. They called a doctor for me and were very considerate. My Spanish is not great and they are very patient with this as well.

I would highly recommend this hostel!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
0 mi away
Cabinas Eddy B&B
Cabinas Eddy B&B
#6 of 36 in Santa Elena

Been to Cabinas El Pueblo Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!