Our visit in the two weeks leading up to Christmas was our fourth time to Tango Mar in almost 20 years, and we still find it a very special place to stay. This time we rented a two bed-roomed villa on the Tango Mar property, separate from the hotel; previously we have stayed in the hotel’s Tikki Suites and in its Robinson Crusoe villa.
We drove a large 4x4 from San Jose to Puntarenas, where we caught the ferry to Paquera, and drove for another 30 minutes or so to Tango Mar. The road is now fully paved (it hadn’t been in the past!) and the drive was not difficult.
Construction of the new spa, reception, kitchen and bar/restaurant was reaching completion – the new kitchen and restaurant opened on Christmas Eve and the reception and bar area are stunning! It was so good to see 21st Century design and engineering being put to very effective use in this unique location.
Up until the new kitchen and restaurant was ready, dinner was served in the poolside restaurant. Nevertheless, chef Christian and his enthusiastic team delivered a different and widely varied menu every evening and the food is unquestionably the best in this part of Costa Rica. Portions are also substantial, and it is amazing that such high quality food is available so far from San Jose. It also has a decent wine list, including one of our favourite Italian wines! The service too was very friendly and efficient at all times of the day. The restaurant, bar and kitchen staff are a credit to themselves and to the owners!
Tango Mar also has strong and free WiFi access throughout the hotel, and although we did not have the chance to try out the new spa, we hope to do so on our next visit.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The well-hidden secret of Tango Mar is located on the beautiful, deserted Quizales beach at the Nicoya Peninsula on Costa Rica's Pacific Coast. It is a 150-acre (60Ha) exclusive private beachfront reserve with ample of added attractions. The blend of fine accommodations with exuberant jungle vegetation, exotic birds and wildlife makes Tango Mar the ideal hideaway for anyone who wants to enjoy refinement in a natural setting. With only 45 rooms, the philosophy of Tango Mar is to provide a personal, friendly, relaxed and attentive service Tango Mar has a 9-hole Executive Golf Course (par 3 and par 4), two lightened tennis courts, a soccer field, four swimming pools, stables with horses, 2 restaurants and bars, meeting room, Spa, an organic garden and natural trails. It offers different types of lodgings; Beahfront rooms that mainly cater to families, Tropical Suites and Deluxe Beachfront Rooms for couples and Tiki suites for the most demanding. All rooms have been recently renovated, have a private bath and are equipped with a/c, phone, satellite TV, a safety deposit box, WIFI, minibar upon request and a coffee maker with complementary coffee. We also have private beachfront Villas for families or small groups. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Priceline, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Hotel.de so you can book your Tango Mar Beachfront Boutique Hotel & Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tango Mar Beach, Spa And Golf Resort
- Tango Mar Beach, Spa & Golf Hotel Tambor
- Tango Mar Beach Hotel
- Tango Mar Beach Tambor