This remote resort is placed along a truly memorable stretch of beach. The beach is a light brown in color, and the waves break large and late right along the coast line. I would imagine it could give some people trouble to swim, but my wife and I found it very easy to swim just past the break and really enjoyed bobbing up and down as the waves came in. The water is clear and warm, virtually perfect for a nice refreshing dip any time of day.
Unfortunately, the review will decline in praise from here. I will start in the room, which was #704, one of the Tiki Villas. It was very nicely laid out, with wide open views of the ocean and beach. Unfortunately, our room was overrun with bugs. Ants everywhere; large, small, and many unidentifiable. This resort is set in very rustic surroundings, however the cleanliness of their rooms is absolutely unacceptable. The jets in the jacuzzi tub were filthy, to the point we did not enjoy the tub at all. We asked to have them cleaned, and they obliged, but just did not feel comfortable soaking in a dirty tub. Back to the ants, they were everywhere. Inside the coffee pot, scurrying across the bathroom counter as we were brushing our teeth. We even had to discard a tube of toothpaste because ants had infested it. Completely disgusting. We were in country for two weeks, and stayed at two other resorts (both in rustic settings as well), and were fortunate to experience extremely clean conditions in both other rooms. Our room at Tango Mar was glaringly dirty in comparison, which is absolutely unacceptable for the prices paid.
The food was also a disappointment. We had the distinct feeling that they knew we were captive, with a rough road in and out of the resort, and very few options in the area villages. We did venture out, however, and discovered some incredible restaurant gems in the surrounding area. H&B, and Christie's were two close restaurants that offered very high quality, local food, at a fraction of what was being charged at Tango Mar. At Tango Mar, I had a pasta with bolognese sauce that I believe used ketchup as the sauce base. It was absolutely inedible. My wife had a pork chop that was 1/4 inch thin, and in a plum sauce that was also inedible. During this same dining experience we were charged for two rounds of drinks that we did not consume, and it took around 20 minutes to get the issue resolved when we wanted to close out and leave the restaurant. As mentioned in other reviews, the owner was milling around and attempting to ensure the satisfaction of the guests, however was doing very little to actually impact the experience of the guests. We were there on our honeymoon, and felt like we were just being nickel-and-dimed during the entire stay. No mention of our honeymoon, and nothing from the staff that made us feel special on this extremely special trip for us. There was just nothing on any menu that was of any quality. The coffee was poor, the breakfast service was slow and disingenuous. There were some staff members who were extremely friendly, and there were many who seemed put-out to refill a coffee or make an omelette.
The golf course was also a bit of a joke, and we were charged an extreme amount to play it. After asking the gentleman at the desk to provide club rental, cart, and pay green fees, he asked me "Do you need golf balls? They are $10 for a pack of 5. You will need two packs." Well, ok. It would have been very difficult to play the course without golf balls. He also asked me if I needed tees, another obvious "yes" and flagrant charge. On the course, we found greens that were not trimmed, and an overall extremely neglected course. Again, tremendous views and setting, but the experience of the product was a sub-standard one.
This resort has so much potential. I believe they need to take a staff trip up to the arenal area, and take some notes on how to offer a rustic, true experience with the sophistication and quality deserving of the premium prices they are charging. This country has so much to offer, and unfortunately the offerings at Tango Mar were restricted to the incredible views and beautiful beach on which it sits. When traveling to the area again I will work harder to select a resort, perhaps in the Montezuma area, which will offer a higher quality product than what Tango Mar can.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The well-hidden secret of Tango Mar is located on the beautiful, deserted Quizales beach at the Nicoya Peninsula on Costa Rica's Pacific Coast. It is a 150-acre (60Ha) exclusive private beachfront reserve with ample of added attractions. The blend of fine accommodations with exuberant jungle vegetation, exotic birds and wildlife makes Tango Mar the ideal hideaway for anyone who wants to enjoy refinement in a natural setting. With only 45 rooms, the philosophy of Tango Mar is to provide a personal, friendly, relaxed and attentive service Tango Mar has a 9-hole Executive Golf Course (par 3 and par 4), two lightened tennis courts, a soccer field, four swimming pools, stables with horses, 2 restaurants and bars, meeting room, Spa, an organic garden and natural trails. It offers different types of lodgings; Beahfront rooms that mainly cater to families, Tropical Suites and Deluxe Beachfront Rooms for couples and Tiki suites for the most demanding. All rooms have been recently renovated, have a private bath and are equipped with a/c, phone, satellite TV, a safety deposit box, WIFI, minibar upon request and a coffee maker with complementary coffee. We also have private beachfront Villas for families or small groups. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Priceline and Odigeo so you can book your Tango Mar Beachfront Boutique Hotel & Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tango Mar Beach, Spa And Golf Resort
- Tango Mar Beach, Spa & Golf Hotel Tambor
- Tango Mar Beach Hotel
- Tango Mar Beach Tambor