WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Tambor
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“Don't waste your money”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

I have never paid to be so miserable. We stayed in a tiki suite in tango mar for our 5 yr anniversary. And this place completly ruined to the point we tried to leave early. We had only been there 3 hours and My husband went to get into the jacuzzi tub right after we're exchanged presents he turned on the jets to the tub and no exaggeration about 100 large ants shots out of the jets. He was covered in ant bites from the back of his neck to his toes. We called to complain and all they offers to do was clean the tub. By time anyone got to our room the ants has scatterd everywhere. I found them in my suitcase for the next three days. We had to demand a new room, they almost would not even let us switch. The food was horrible and was the same bland limited menu everyday. There were multiple different types of bugs in both rooms we stayed in everyday that never left. The second room we got placed in did not have a working fan or fridge like each room is suppose to have. The a/c barley blew my husband sweated every night. When we asked to talk to a manager or someone with good English, we were told the owner was out of the country and so was the manager later that night when I went to the front desk to see if someone would fix the fan and was basically ignored I began to cry in the middle of the lobby. Finally one of the night staff informed me that the manager was eating dinner and would let him know when he was finished eating. So instead of being ignored I went to talk to him. He promised to make everything right and get approval from the owner to give us a credit or refund . He said he would come talk to us at breakfast , which by the way the free breakfast is literally left over appetizers from the night before and if you don't get up at the time they put it out its completly coverd in bugs! The manager never showed up t breakfast and every time we a sked for him he was supposedly unavailable. We never spoke to him again the hole time we were there. We even saw him a few times and he literally ran in the other direction. There are some many other problems we had I could prolly wright a book a very long story summed up I would never recommend this place even to my worst enemy. Cause it's not right to pay thousands of dollars to have the sort vacation you can imagine.

Room Tip: Dont bother staying here and if you really want to get the cheap beachfront one so you feel like you...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ashley180

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
alberta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

I just spent a quiet and relaxing time at Tango Mar. First of all I have to mention the staff - Dorial, Royland, Junior, Rosabel, Dunia, Hannia, Jessy, Javier, Eduardo, the chefs and housekeeping. Forgive me if I have forgotten anyone. Everyone was so friendly and helpful. I had a massage which was good, I used the fitness room, and the pool area is awesome. I went on the snorkelling trip with another couple who were staying at the resort and it was a great day. We saw whales and dolfphins. I saw a turtle nesting on the beach. Jessy took me on a hike to Montezuma and I saw many birds that I would not have seen on my own. He is an avid bird lover! I appreciate the time he took with me. I will definitely return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

A fantastic and memorable time during our stay at Tango Mar! We spent 8 days in Costa Rica, starting from San Jose, to Arenal and La Fortuna, to Tamarindo, and finally to Tango Mar. We hadn't planned to stay here originally but saw an appealing advertisement in one of our maps and decided to change our plans to stay at this "little piece of heaven." As we had been traveling around and adventuring quite a bit, it was nice to relax and unwind here. We were so glad we did! It is off the beaten path. We had rented our own car while in Costa Rica, and it was primarily a wide dirt road to travel here from Tamarindo, which made our adventure all the more fun enjoying a pretty countryside drive through the Costa Rican hills. The resort from the main road doesn't look like much, but once you enter the gate and drive back to the check-in area, you find yourself looking at a gorgeous view right on a private beach. We enjoyed an ocean-front room with a balcony. Also, we went on a little hike around the property, seeing pretty butterflies and finally to an area in some trees where we were greeted (and completely startled) by about 10 howler monkies. We loved it! The staff and the owner, in particular, were marvelous and made our stay personal and memorable with special service. The infinity pool overlooking the ocean was marvelous, along with the swim-up bar, and restaurant dining nearby. This property is quiet and serene, and was not busy when we were there. All in all, a perfect quick stay to a great trip in Costa Rica!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hijodi
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

Pros: Great specious beach-front rooms with strong surf sounds. Three pools, two restaurants, shade by pool and on beach, hammocks, gardens. The staff is friendly and helpful and can take care of all guests' needs.

Cons: breakfast was a disappointment, pastries were dry and stale. Dinner is over-priced. A/C engine in beach front rooms is located in balcony which makes it impossible to enjoy the balcony (noise, heat) as well as noisy inside the room.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Mik_Mik_CA
Elk Grove, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

My husband and I recently spent two nights at Tango Mar. It was part of a package vacation for our first visit to Costa Rica. Had we known how beautiful Tango Mar is and how attentive the staff is we would have chosen to spend our entire six nights there. We were pleased with everything from the lazy hammocks to the horseback ride. Hilda is personable and spends time chatting with the guests without being intrusive. Our room had an amazing balcony overlooking the ocean. The resort is modern and tastefully decorated. All of the pools were beautiful and the food at both restaurants was very good. I didn't try the spa but I saw a couple of the rooms which were beautiful. Tango Mar is immaculate and located in a beautiful area. We took a drive to Montezuma, a quaint little Bohemian village and picked up some locally made crafts.

Room Tip: We liked our ocean front room
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dinah F
manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

My husband and I came here for the end of our honeymoon for rest and sun and we were definitely NOT disappointed. The grounds, the rooms and the staff are wonderful! We were greeted by welcome cocktails and the owner, Hilda, a wonderful Belgian woman. You see her often and she checks occasionally that you are satisfied with your stay. I cannot say enough about the staff. They always have a smile on their faces, they clearly have a great relationship with the owner and are really attentive to the guests. Although you aren't near any other restaurants than the one in the hotel (unless you have a car), you will not be disappointed. The food is stunning (particularly the seafood) and prices aren't bad. The beach is private to the hotel and a couple of private homes so its wonderfully private. The water is warm and the waves are big. We stayed in the Tiki house which was such a treat. It was really clean, huge and gave us a great feeling of privacy, even though its right by the main building. The regular rooms are in a building right on the beach and next to the pool which isn't a bad option either. The grounds of the hotel are huge which include tennis courts, stables, golfing, a lookout point and even a waterfall. It is all well taken care of and stunning. The hotel is a short 25min flight to Tambor and then the hotel will pick you up for $10 and is about 15/20min away from the Tambor 'airport'.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mvigier
Krabi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

Tango Mar is an isolated haven off the beaten track (you certainly need a 4x4 for some of the roads). The hotel is situated right next to the beach and you can hear the waves and most rooms have a sea view. There is a very relaxed atmosphere and staff were very attentive to all our needs. The hotel foods was good and my son and husband would recommend the Seafood platter. The only downside was that because we didn't have a car we felt a bit trapped as there is very little local interest and the hotel taxi was rather expensive. But if you want to do things there are plenty of tours and activities at an additional cost. But as we had just done a tour of Costa Rica we decided to spend our 4 days here relaxing and were even lucky enough to see a whale and her calf in the sea.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tambor
Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort
Tambor Tropical Beach Resort
Vista Hermosa Boutique Bed & Breakfast
Hotel & Club Punta Leona
Vista Las Islas Hotel & Spa

Been to Tango Mar Beachfront Boutique Hotel & Villas? Share your experiences!