New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Barcelo Tambor

Barcelo Tambor
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Tambor
New York
“It's a Barcelo all inclusive”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

Nice place, all inclusive but not overly expensive. Alot of Euro's when I was there. I love how people line up a half hour in advance for meal times. Food was OK. Rooms are nice, spread out. Very nice property, pool. How people can say that is a nice beach beats me. One of the most average I've seen in Centro America, due to it's gulf location, very little surf, flat, dark sand, not tipico of nice CR beaches. Howler monkeys start their thing around 4-5 am, not the hotel's fault, but howlers aren't called howlers for nothing.

You're out there in the middle of no where. don't get hurt or very sick because you are a long long way from serious medical attention unless they chopper you out--payment up front please.

Lower level workers/staff are very nice, just working people with no english but not arrogant. Give anyone anywhere a name tag in a Barcelo chain hotel and for God's sake they become self appointed...can't think of the words...pompous aloof arrogant indifferent disrespectful inconsiderate, almost anti-gringo. That's Barcelo anywhere in Central America.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Dick d
Alejandra G, Channel Manager at Barcelo Tambor, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear Customer:

Greetings from Barceló Tambor Beach hotel.

We really appreciate the comments posted, which will help us to improve our customer services every day.

Regarding to any eventually illness or injury contingency, the hotel has a doctor's first aid room as well as a fully equipped ambulance for the first aids, in case you have to move the guest to the clinic in Cóbano and Paquera which it takes 20 minutes to get.

According to English speaking affairs our human resources department will be training ours staff with english courses to easily communicate and understand basic Anglo-speaking customers.

Once again thank you for the time spent to send us your comments.

Yours sincerely

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

The best holiday ever , very good service, variety of activities in the day, entertaining shows at night and the party continues until dawn, an entertainment staff that makes you feel you do not want to leave. Totally recommended

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Jky163
ojochal costa rica
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

our place is south of dominical and we came up for three nights on a whim with neighbors. nice drive north, easy ferry ride. paid $132 nightly all inclusive. so what do you expect? four seasons? actually it is not bad. the grounds are nice and the mccaws are worth the trip. on our way to isla tortuga so that makes the trip worthwhile. grounds are nice and rooms are decent. clearly not a gringo getaway. its a tico vacation spot. food is average. liquor is included. typical big resort style pool. all in all, if this is what you are looking for, its ok. 3 nights would be a max for me. kind of like going to vegas. you just have to be in the mood for it! oh yeah, and the kayak we took out took on water and we had to cling to it swimming in. nobody seemed to care. kind of reminded me of mexico in that respect. jay

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jayfriedman
Atenas, Costa Rica
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for a couple of nights and were overall disappointed. When we arrived we were notified that a certain section of the hotel did not have air conditioning and that it would possibility be fixed the next day. Keep in mind that Tambor is a very hot and humid area. We asked if a discount was expected and they told us no discounts; we then requested a full refund and wanted to cancel our prepaid reservations. They were able to relocate us to another section of the hotel with a/c. Once we got to the room the toilet wasn't flushing properly and I attempted to call maintenance; however, the phone wasn't working so then I had to step outside and find a staff member to relay the message. Also we had no towels in the room.

After all of this we were just glad to be in a nice a/c room. This is vacation time for locals so the hotel was full of families with lots of young children in the pool so we decided to play golf in a nearby golf course - Delfines. The course is a real nice 9 hole course with beautiful wildlife and the price was right - $30/person if you are a guest of the Barceló.

We have stayed at several Barceló hotels in the past and we were disappointed with the limited selection of the food choices on the buffet and the lack of smiles from the staff, which is very unusual for Costa Ricans. Overall management needs to work with the staff to make sure that they smile and at least say "Con Gusto."

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank rrodriguez2016
london
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

Having travelled around central america staying in boutiques, small hotels and b&bs, this was a bit of a shock as a massive resort..... So my own fault for booking it, but really not my thing. However, rooms are very nice and the facilities are excellent. The place was very crowded with mostly costa rican families enjoying their holidays, and this really is a place for families, not couples.
Food is truly awful!
Disappointed that the wifi wasn't part of all inclusive and only available in the lobby.
Some of the "house drinks" are also very bad, so avoid the wine and stick with the beer!
Beach area could do with a bit of grooming.
Overall, cant fault the value, but wouldn't revisit personally, but understand this place could appeal for a family holiday spot for a few days for others.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank DelfromLondon
Hamilton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

I went here a year ago for my honeymoon. The hotel was clean, the food is great, there are a ton of tours. The beach was great. The service was very good.
The only downside was, nobody told me that the hotel had a private air strip. So.. We had a 4 hour journey to the hotel on the way in. Spent $75 for a 20 minute flight back to San Jose..

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Dave C
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

Let me start by saying I am a regular at the Barceló Resorts. I usually have almost no complaints. I have visited 5-6 Barceló resorts. I love their customer service and the quality of the resorts and the maintenance. I don't want to say this resort was bad but comparing all of the other Barceló resorts we were not too impressed at this resort. I still had an amazing time because I love traveling and experiencing other countries and their cultures. I will make the best of every trip and compromise. We are on vacation and in another country without the same things we would be used to and spoiled with in America.

The trip started with our landing in Costa Rica at about 2:15pm. and being picked up by Odyssey tours & travels. We had pre-booked our land shuttle that would be a 4-1/2- 5 hour trip by land to Barceló Tambor. You get to enjoy the beauty of the country this way and also get to travel on the ferry for approx. 1-1-1/2 hours. We left the ferry at about 4:30 so we enjoyed the sunset on our journey to Tambor.
Our driver Enrique and our tour guide Juan were so friendly and very helpful with explaining the culture and any questions we had about the country. They made the trip to the resort enjoying and pleasant.
We arrived at the resort at about 7:00 pm. or so. Check in was pretty easy and there wasn't anyone else there at that time at the desk. I do have to say they really did not give us as much info about the hotel and such nor any tour etc.. maybe because it was late who knows? We were just given a vague explanation where our room was and eventually we found it. We were very happy to find our room being beach front very close to everything. Our room # 423. great location and we enjoyed the land waking up every day with the lizards coming out of their trees and the squirrels playing in the trees and such. Also the macaws every morning flying above and squawking and making all kinds of noise but gorgeous to watch. The land was beautiful and I just can't really explain the beauty!

So now for the room. I think we just received the trouble room. We had troubles with little baby crabs in our room. Called for help and they really couldn't help us so we fixed the problems ourselves. The maid service was good. We tipped $2.00-3.00 daily. Amazingly it was the same lady every day. They only say they will give you 2 water bottles per day and you have to save them and refill throughout the day. If you tip the water guy you will never have to worry about this. They do not provide any beer in the mini fridge. We thought all of this was not up to standards but what are you to do? So we walked to the town of Tambor along the beach approx. a 45 min walk and you have to go at low tide because you will have to cross the river but is no problem at low tide. We bought beer and wine as the wine they give outside of the al a carte restaurants was no good. There were other problems in the room as well. We could not get hot water in our shower. Every morning we had to run the shower for at least 30-35 min. in order for the water to finally warm up. The coffee maker decided to break on us and take about 25 min to make also. It almost became a joke to us to wake up early in the morning and just start the coffee and the shower and rest for another half hour. Gotta make the best of it!

So onto other things.. The food. I have to say the snack bar-lunch - pool bar was pretty good food. They have really good hamburgers and great nacho bar, salad, fruit etc..
We arrived on a Friday evening and ate at about 8:00 There was a line but not horrible. Oh my the lines continued to get larger. Keep In mind we are in low season and lines should never be long. Not at this resort at least not on the weekend. All of the local people come into town and take over the place. The lines are ridiculous! I don't recall being at any resort ever having to wait for meals in line for 15-20 min and we go in low season always. Food at the buffet was ok, but the a la carte was tasty. My husband did get food poisoning for 24 hours. not sure what that was but he spent the entire day with that. My son and I never had that problem. We had a very great employee/ manager named Edwin. He gave us amazing service and I wish he was always our server as he was amazing caring and friendly. He even offered to make my husband special soup when he was sick.

Service at this resort could use great improvement. Edwin was the best. some nights they were on but as weekends came they lacked. There aren't any premium rooms or premium lounges, I thought that was disappointing since I always upgrade.

The beach is awesome. When it is low tide it is the very best time to enjoy the ocean. I just loved it. In some spots you have to get past the rocky areas. Not all areas are that way. The sand is soft and black. Fun times. My husband and son Kayaked and we all boogie boarded, which was so much fun. The ocean is friendly for the most part but at high tide if you are not a good strong swimmer you really shouldn't go out to far.

At the ending we took the puddle jumper to San Jose which was just great. Awesome views and well worth it. Make sure you plan your travel accordingly, as I did not realize that we had to book all of the separate travels like the puddle jumper and the land travel . This info was not listed on the expedia website, so it came as a surprise and an extra $-500-600 that luckily I had.

I would most definitely return to Costa Rica. Not sure if I would go to the same place but this place would get a better review if the customer service was much improved. What a great and beautiful country!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
10 Thank outintheadventure
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tambor
Tango Mar Beachfront Boutique Hotel & Villas
Villa Caletas
Villa Caletas
#2 of 45 in Jaco
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,184 reviews

Been to Barcelo Tambor? Share your experiences!