“Awful experience..Not kid friendly and overpriced..not a resort by any means”

Clandestino Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Parrita
Redmond, Washington
“Awful experience..Not kid friendly and overpriced..not a resort by any means”
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

Totally agree with jimmy.

My experience was atrocious. Here is why:

1. Getting there - 8.5 kms of bumpy unpaved road. Note that kms are shorter than miles but with the road conditions and speed limits it takes a lot longer than you'd think. No taxis around so if you are not renting a car you are out of luck. I fell for the hotel based on pics with nice looking patio, sheer drapery, swing etc. It looked perfect place for celebrating our 10th anniversary. When I reached I was very bummed for being in the middle of nowhere and 40 mins away from Manuel Antonio.

2. Restaurant - food wasn't bad but like the previous reviewer said having dogs roam around was just not professional. They were constantly roaming around tables sniffing food. It might be ok with some but not everyone.

Staff was obviously ok with dogs walking around the restaurant but seemed very uncomfortable with my toddlers. Staff would stare at them like they were going to ruin their property.

3. Owner - the owner has no idea what customer service is. Never had courtsey to stop by ask how were doing or just say hi.

This trip was a huge deal for me. I had been planning this for 6 months but she ruined it in seconds. We were in Costa Rica over 10 days but I wanted to stay at Clandestino for my anniversary. The day before anniversary we spent all day at Manuel Antonio national park. When we came back at night I noticed one of the sheer draperies on the patio outside our room was coming off a little bit. They were hung using velcro. Next morning at the breakfast on my anniversary day, the owner pulls me on a corner and I get yelled at about the drape. She blames my kids for pulling it off. I tell her they didn't but she goes on to blaming us and says she can watch everything from her house which is across from our street. How creepy!!! I asked her if she saw my kids pull it. When she had no response she makes a face and just walks away. I leave for the day right after the breakfast and when we come back after lunch with a hope to enjoy the rest of our day, I notice the sheer completely removed from our property. We're we being punished? I go to follow-up and the person at front desk tells me that the owner is a little too particular about her resort and everything but she had no clue why it was removed.

Even if we did accidently pull it off (which we didn't) was it that big of a deal? If it was removed because it had problems, why couldn't it be replaced. We were deprived of the services we paid for and no clarification was ever provided. We lost our privacy and we had to keep the curtains on inside the room because the drapes on patio was removed and the room was pretty much all glass on all sides.

Oh and with the owners house close to our room we could hear dogs bark until late night.

4. Phone - There are no phones in the room. If you need room service you have to walk to the front desk and its very likely you will have to wait outside their front desk which is a "closed door office", where they randomly have staff meetings. There was no courtesy/pay phone on the property either. I had to make an urgent local call so I requested the office to let me make a call. I got a frown was told that the office will close in 10 mins so I should be quick. Note this was at 7 and the night before I checked in at 8:30 and office was open then. I wasn't told about the rates but the at the time of checking out I was charged for the calls. I didn't mind paying but if it's a paid service I shouldn't have been treated with a frown and should have been told about the rates before hand.

5. Others - Not much of room service. Gecos all over the property and inside too.
Breakfast options are not great. I was told we could get breakfast whenever and could order omelets or pancackes. Pancakes got my kids so excited but upon asking we were told they couldn't make them. Pool is ok but sloppy paint job and you you might end up swimming with toads.

Overall I had a terrible terrible experience and Clandestino is definitely not a kid friendly place to stay. We stayed at 3 other hotels in Costa Rica during our trip and were very pleased with service and felt very welcomed but stay at Clandestino was a huge mistake. Also, it is extremely over priced for the facilities and service.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
14 Thank NorthWestTravellers
Guillermo C, Propietario at Clandestino Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Dear guest,

The location is perfectly indicated as much in our web site as in each commentary of our guests. That is one of the reasons why our guests come, they are trying to find a place aware of the noises, pollution and turistic zones. This is the best way to enjoy of the real nature. By your commentaries, we can know that you haven’t travelled around Costa Rica and this is one of the few hotel that you have been; all the good Hotels in Costa Rica are located far of the cities, having roads without asphalt and our road is one of the best roads to arrive to a unique place like that. Yes, there are taxis available.

Yes, also we have dogs, they are trained and 99% of our guests enjoy a lot with them. When the dogs are bothering or when the people is having lunch or dinner we take the dogs back home. The kids normally play a lot with them as your kids also played.

Madam, your are contradicting about all the opinion from the guests. You think that I’m unpleasant, moreover I think that at the moment you arrived at the Hotel you were rude with me and we the rest of the staff; it was a general comentary. When some guests are rude or bad mannered and by this way, your childs also; very very unbred and they don’t know how to take care about the material of the Hotel or bodering the other guests, I have to advice you and explain how to take care about the thinks. The courtains located around the terrace, white and new ones, were pulled down and steped by your unbred son, I saw it when I was coming from my home. You are right, we took the courtain off for take it to the laundry, wash and dry it. I try to have all perfect, as I commented before this is a very quiet Hotel, very nice, with beatiful views and I can’t believe that bad- mannered guests broke the material and the calm that we have in the Hotel.

We don’t have telephones in the rooms and you wouldn’t find another Hotel in front of the beach with telephones on the room; all that has metall oxides and it brokes in few days. It’s impossible to offer this service. In all the Hotels, when you make phone calls, they charge you the call service.

GECKOS, we are in the wild nature, not only Geckos, also we have Iguanas (blue, green, brown...), crabs, monkeys, slots and so many different animals that live around the Hotel; that is one of the nicest reasons to stay here, live with the nature.
The Geckos are friendly animals, they are peaceful and you can be safe because they don’t do anything. Moreover they eat little insects and it’s better for us, less mosquitos. There are ignorant guests that only have been living in cities and they have fear. I advice to this people to go to big Hotel buildings if they don’t want to find Geckos and sure that you can find it also.

We had received in our Hotel a big quantity of kids, good mannered and all of them had enjoyed of the installations and moreover they don’t wan’t to leave. I supose if you had stayed in big hotels all included that they don’t has importance about the noise and I repeat what I said about the bad- mannered, you would have enjoyed a lot, so know you now where you can stay the next time.

Best from paradise.
Diane and Guillermo ( the owners )

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed February 6, 2014

We were in Clandestino from 8 to 20 January 2014 . We chose this hotel and no mistake ! All we wanted it and got : beautiful nature, beautiful clean ocean , friendly staff, comfortable hotel and great food in the restaurant.
Yes , the hotel is not close to the main highway, but we had a car and had no problem to get somewhere.
The hotel is small and you have no problem , for example, to wait for the waiter and order food.
On an endless beach just you and a few others ))) , and sometimes you alone - it's perfect!
The room is spacious and clean, the beds are comfortable .
Advisable to purchase insect repellent , one evening we were bitten : (
Manuel Antonio in 30-40 min. drive away.
We all liked it , I recommend ....

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Washington, D.C.
Reviewed January 28, 2014

My boyfriend and I only spent 3 nights at Clandestino, but we loved every minute of it. The resort is very small but cozy. The staff is fantastic. The rooms are so romantic and the bed was extremely comfortable. The food in the restaurant was excellent. We enjoyed walking up and down the beach, since the rip tides at the beach were strong, we didn't attempt to go swimming but utilized the beautiful pool. The road to Clandestino was a little rough and could have been difficult to find without the directions listed on their website. We had a fantastic time at Clandestino and would highly recommend this resort to anyone. We'd love to go back!

Room Tip: Get a room near the pool.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed January 13, 2014

We were there for Christmas. It was great. The houses are clean and comfortable; romantic. The lady who owns the place was enthousiastic en nice. Nice personell en food and drinks are good. It's a quiet place off road and very relaxed. Beach is in front of the hotel en nice waves. It's a short drive to Manuel Antonio.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet comfortable place to stay. it's the place to be!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Canada
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We stayed for 4 nights during the xmas rush - and loved Clandestino. It was away from the crowds and rush of manuel antonio. We would recommend having your own car as it made it easier and cheaper to get to the resort and to other activities and excursions. The rooms were large and clean, the beach is endless (but note: can't swim in because of rip tides), the pool was great, the staff was wonderful and the food was amazing quality. Recommendations to resort: 1) instead of the wooden swings, I would suggest hammocks outside each room, and 2) include other options instead of just tico breakfast in the price because 4 mornings in a row got boring. Recommendations to people booking: Book directly with clandestino - you'll save $$ and make sure you stay a min of 3 nights!

We hope to come back one day!

Room Tip: Go with whatever is cheaper - both double or king room was good value and nice.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lv2travel13
Margate, Florida
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Such a beautiful property, rooms are simple and romantic....the staff is kind, friendly and especially Eduard our bartender and amigo! Owner Dianah will make sure your stay is comfortable. The food is excellent, sunsets gorgeous every night! We highly recommend...never leaving Clandestino!

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent, we've stayed in many! Breezy romantic open air!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

We just returned from a trip to Panama and Costa Rica and our stay at Clandestino was definitely a highlight of our trip. The rooms are very nice and the setting is beautiful. The restaurant is postcard charming and the staff and owner are wonderfully accommodating. We normally stay at five star hotels and while this is not a four seasons, this is more charming and relaxed than the larger hotels. A great stay for exploring Manuel Antonio (about 40 mins away) without the crowds.

Stayed January 2014
Guillermo C, Propietario at Clandestino Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Hello

Thank you very much to take your time to write us a review on TripAdvisor.

It's very nice to see that we were the highlight of your trip.

We are very glad that you enjoyed the rooms, the restaurant, and staff.

Thank you again and we hope to see you back very soon.

Pura Vida!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Parrita
Beso del Viento
Beso del Viento
#1 of 4 in Parrita
Cocomar Beachfront Hotel
Cocomar Beachfront Hotel
#1 of 1 in Palo Seco
La Posada Private Jungle Bungalows
La Posada Private Jungle Bungalo...
#16 of 48 in Manuel Antonio National Park
Tulemar Resort
Tulemar Resort
#2 of 48 in Manuel Antonio National Park
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,125 reviews
Shana By The Beach, Hotel Residence & Spa
Shana By The Beach, Hotel Reside...
#11 of 48 in Manuel Antonio National Park
Gaia Hotel & Reserve
Gaia Hotel & Reserve
#3 of 48 in Manuel Antonio National Park
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,484 reviews

Been to Clandestino Beach Resort? Share your experiences!