Totally agree with jimmy.
My experience was atrocious. Here is why:
1. Getting there - 8.5 kms of bumpy unpaved road. Note that kms are shorter than miles but with the road conditions and speed limits it takes a lot longer than you'd think. No taxis around so if you are not renting a car you are out of luck. I fell for the hotel based on pics with nice looking patio, sheer drapery, swing etc. It looked perfect place for celebrating our 10th anniversary. When I reached I was very bummed for being in the middle of nowhere and 40 mins away from Manuel Antonio.
2. Restaurant - food wasn't bad but like the previous reviewer said having dogs roam around was just not professional. They were constantly roaming around tables sniffing food. It might be ok with some but not everyone.
Staff was obviously ok with dogs walking around the restaurant but seemed very uncomfortable with my toddlers. Staff would stare at them like they were going to ruin their property.
3. Owner - the owner has no idea what customer service is. Never had courtsey to stop by ask how were doing or just say hi.
This trip was a huge deal for me. I had been planning this for 6 months but she ruined it in seconds. We were in Costa Rica over 10 days but I wanted to stay at Clandestino for my anniversary. The day before anniversary we spent all day at Manuel Antonio national park. When we came back at night I noticed one of the sheer draperies on the patio outside our room was coming off a little bit. They were hung using velcro. Next morning at the breakfast on my anniversary day, the owner pulls me on a corner and I get yelled at about the drape. She blames my kids for pulling it off. I tell her they didn't but she goes on to blaming us and says she can watch everything from her house which is across from our street. How creepy!!! I asked her if she saw my kids pull it. When she had no response she makes a face and just walks away. I leave for the day right after the breakfast and when we come back after lunch with a hope to enjoy the rest of our day, I notice the sheer completely removed from our property. We're we being punished? I go to follow-up and the person at front desk tells me that the owner is a little too particular about her resort and everything but she had no clue why it was removed.
Even if we did accidently pull it off (which we didn't) was it that big of a deal? If it was removed because it had problems, why couldn't it be replaced. We were deprived of the services we paid for and no clarification was ever provided. We lost our privacy and we had to keep the curtains on inside the room because the drapes on patio was removed and the room was pretty much all glass on all sides.
Oh and with the owners house close to our room we could hear dogs bark until late night.
4. Phone - There are no phones in the room. If you need room service you have to walk to the front desk and its very likely you will have to wait outside their front desk which is a "closed door office", where they randomly have staff meetings. There was no courtesy/pay phone on the property either. I had to make an urgent local call so I requested the office to let me make a call. I got a frown was told that the office will close in 10 mins so I should be quick. Note this was at 7 and the night before I checked in at 8:30 and office was open then. I wasn't told about the rates but the at the time of checking out I was charged for the calls. I didn't mind paying but if it's a paid service I shouldn't have been treated with a frown and should have been told about the rates before hand.
5. Others - Not much of room service. Gecos all over the property and inside too.
Breakfast options are not great. I was told we could get breakfast whenever and could order omelets or pancackes. Pancakes got my kids so excited but upon asking we were told they couldn't make them. Pool is ok but sloppy paint job and you you might end up swimming with toads.
Overall I had a terrible terrible experience and Clandestino is definitely not a kid friendly place to stay. We stayed at 3 other hotels in Costa Rica during our trip and were very pleased with service and felt very welcomed but stay at Clandestino was a huge mistake. Also, it is extremely over priced for the facilities and service.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Clandestino Beach Resort is a Beachfront boutique hotel, located in the Central Pacific region of Costa Rica, on a beautiful and wild beach sprinkled with coconut trees along 10 km of in Palo Seco Beach. The hotel is located at about 20 km from Quepos and 45 km. from Jaco next to the magnificent Manuel Antonio National Park. The highway from San Jose is in very good conditions, leading the guests on a two hour drive through an incredible landscape with several different microclimates and a very diverse flora and fauna. Visitors can enjoy the beauty of the area, the sounds of nature, the tropical breeze, the wildlife and of course also get to know the local culture and people. The hotel has 12 luxury rooms, designed in natural tones and built with local materials such as Teak wood structures, Royal Palm leaf roofs, natural stone bathrooms, and bamboo ceilings, terraces and furniture. We offer you 4 rooms with king size beds and 8 rooms with two queen size beds each (all rooms have TV, Free WIFI, A/C, ceiling fans, hair dryers and hot water). For your safety our hotel has security cameras and night watchmen. The hotel also features a large, turtle-shaped swimming pool facing the ocean, Jacuzzi, a waterfall, and a water mirror for sunbathing, all surrounded by lush gardens, green iguanas, wonderful birds, sloths, funny capuchin monkeys that come to the hotel from the Mangrove. It is in every sense a dream come true. The unique and beautiful restaurant features an ocean view and serves international and local dishes that appease even the most demanding connoisseurs of gourmet cuisine. In the cozy bar you will be able to enjoy a variety of delicious tropical cocktails, play pool and table tennis or just lay back and enjoy your stay. All of this with an exclusive atmosphere and good music. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Hotels.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Clandestino Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Clandestino Beach Resort Costa Rica/Parrita