“Great option between flights”

Novotel Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Bang Phli
Sydney, Australia
“Great option between flights”
Reviewed June 30, 2010

We have a 10 month old baby and so we decided to break our flights. Turned out to be a really good option. Cot was already set up and the room had a large bath. We had the buffet for dinner - awesome!!! There were oysters, sashimi, french cheeses and lots of others great choices all for about $AUD40. Breakfast was also good. I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (642)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Anchorage
Reviewed June 27, 2010

I booked a room at this hotel in last month for travel to Kathmandu in August. I just needed a place to stay overnight in between layovers. I recently had to switch my trip for travel in December instead. All I wanted to do was change the date of the reservation. Well, even after numerous attempts, no one at the hotel responded to my emails. I then tried calling the number given on the Accor.com site for reservations with a United States number. I got someone in India saying I had to contact the hotel directly. I then called Bangkok, was put on hold and was told I had to wait until the supervisor came in so I have to call again. Moral of the story-don't book in advance because if you plans change, they make it hard to change reservations.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
NSW Australia
Reviewed June 20, 2010

We stayed at the Airport Novotel both going to and returning from Europe in May. For both stays the hotel was busy because of the ongoing civil unrest meaning more people staying out at the Airport but having booked an executive room we could only praise the excellent service received on both stays. Actually had none of the negative experiences reported in other reviews.

The service from arrival at the Airport to reaching our room was top class all the way. The Airport pickup is such a nice way to arrive in Bangkok and so well organised. Executive check-in makes it more user friendly but noticed that at our time of arrival there wasn’t a queue at the normal check-in anyway.

Our room was very comfortable, well appointed and had tea & coffee making facilities which pleased my husband. The free internet was trouble free and was much appreciated but I think this only free to the executive rooms. Our return from Europe meant an early 6.30am arrival but we were checked in without any problems for such an early arrival. Have sat in foyers of other hotels waiting until they can get us a room because of our early arrival so were impressed with this service.

Have noticed in other reviews comments about the staff and we found the great majority to be very friendly and helpful but the breakfast staff were rather reserved compared to other hotels in Bangkok. The young ladies in the business centre although reserved as well always went out their way to help us with our enquiries or copying etc.

The Novotel foyer is just massive but has very attractive appointments. The main restaurant leads off the foyer. Breakfast is really good with a great variety and includes a reasonable Asian food selection which I love. Also tried the Chinese restaurant and thoroughly enjoyed our meal there.

The pool area is lush and tropical and is a nice surprise for an Airport hotel. Was getting plenty of use with so many people having the airport stopover – had a nice bar and poolside food area right next to the pool – meals looked excellent.

The advantage of the executive rooms is the 5 to 7pm drinks and food. Had the nicest young people wait on us there, good wine and a great array of top quality food. Actually enough for a night meal as we found out!!!

We had picked up a half price deal going over so our stay was so cheap but made up for it on our return having to pay double without the sale discount. Being Advantage Plus members still pays big dividends so was able to secure a much cheaper deal than any hotel internet site. The rack rate is very expensive in comparison to Bangkok hotels. Got caught up in the final stages of the red shirt protests for our return so had to stay out of Bangkok - hence the more expensive return price.

Taxis from the Novotel are surprisingly cheap into Bangkok compared to the Airport. Our first was 240 baht but the second was only 220 baht plus tolls but I thought this was an excellent price as we have been hit much more than that when taking a taxi from the Airport and that’s including the 50baht airport fee.

The only downside to the Novotel is the way the inside rooms overlook the inside foyer. I certainly would not be happy having one of those, much prefer my view back to the Airport – but one doesn’t expect too much in the way of views at an Airport Hotel. I wonder if the negative reviews had one of these rooms.

For an overnight stay would certainly recommend the Novotel, the executive room if you can pick up a deal is certainly the way to go with the executive check-in avoiding the queue's that people complained about. We could not fault the Novotel as an Airport Hotel and are happy to be returning for an overnight stay in the next few weeks.

Have given the Novotel 5 star for location but only in it's location to the Airport, not to downtown Bangkok, not sure how TA wanted that judged.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Sydney
Reviewed June 15, 2010

I had a 6 and a half hour layover at BKK on the kangaroo route and thought a swim and a lie down would be just the ticket.

Waited 20-30 minutes for the shuttle bus. And more than 20 minutes to check in. Only to get to my room and find that the card key wouldn't work. All attempts to procure assistance were directed back to the check in line which was 20 people deep then and the same when I tried again an hour later after going to hang by the pool to calm down.

Waited for another 10 minutes with lots of irate people and then found there was a fast check out box. So I left and went back to the airport where I had a relaxing time by contrast in an airline lounge.

Since I was never able to access the room or speak to anyone who had a solution other than to ask me to stand in line at reception, I can't comment on the accommodation. My advice, stay at the airport (I believe there are day rooms there) and get a massage instead. Unless of course, you have lots of time and patience to stand in lines.

Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Oztraveller9610
Ras Tanura
Reviewed June 15, 2010

The only reason to stay here is the location. Most convenient for departures from Bangkok but we will not stay here again. So very expensive and you receive nothing for your money except a free 10 minute shuttle bus. I will say that the staff at check in are friendly and efficient. The restaurants and bar are over priced so we walked across to the airport and ate there. Better atmosphere and price and Thai food tastes better when it's not too fancy anyway!! Our room was nice enough but the bathroom was infested with ants which took over my toiletries bag. Not what I would expect when paying $180CAD a night for the privelege of staying at this hotel. If at least breakfast or internet were included maybe it would be half worth while but we will not return to the Novotel. Our taxi driver recommended the Valentine Resot about 5 minutes from the airport which is about a 3rd of the price. Looks clean and you can actually get out and enjoy some decent food at the restaurant and Thai bar nearby.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 13, 2010

Yes, it is a little more expensive than you'd ideally pay; but after being squashed on a plane for 14 hours I for one was happy to be in my room and in the shower with a minimum of fuss. I may have been lucky,as Bangkok Airport was still very quiet and I guess the hotel was too. Easy transfer to and from the hotel. Check in efficient, bed was extremely comfortable, and nice big bathroom with separate shower. I had a club room on the top floor with breakfast included which was excellent. I didn't use any of the facilities, as I was really only overnight, but the pool looked nice and the gym was huge. I really couldn't find any fault my stay; may have just been lucky...judging by the other reviews, but would recommend.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Schwechat, Austria
Reviewed June 13, 2010

I was forced by the recent civil unrest in Thailand to spend the last night in this wonderful country at this airport hotel, due to the 2100 curfew at the time. It was expensive, but it is the only option near BKK and certainly got the job done. Cool pool area with a swim-up bar, plenty of dining options and bars to frequent, very Euro-esque decorated rooms with big bathrooms, and easy bus service to the front door of the airport, although one could walk it just as fast of you wanted too. It was also kind of fun to see the airline crews cutting loose after a long flight in the pool areas -- acting like bloody children and it was funny. Overall, great airport location, but who really would want to stay there is going into the city and/or elsewhere?

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Mariya Boutique Residence at Suvarnabhumi Airport
Vismaya Suvarnabhumi Resort
Vismaya Suvarnabhumi Resort
#2 of 5 in Racha Thewa

Been to Novotel Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport? Share your experiences!