“Nice place to chill out”

The Frangipani Tree by Edwards Collection
Ranked #7 of 33 Hotels in Unawatuna
Reviewed September 1, 2010

Perfect food and very relaxing atmosphere, great place to recover after hard triathlon season. Two excellent weeks spent regaining mental and physical strength.

I came here with small pain in my knee (the consequence of my last injury) after some days I felt much better. I think especially the climate (warm, sunny weather) and extraordinary food (lobster, prawns which are full of glucosamine, lots of fresh fruits) made me forget about my health problems.

First thing in the morning of course - running on the beach and
swimming in the pool at the hotel. Gym and sauna were also available
nearby so I could have my exercises every day.

And then the whole days of relaxation, perfect place for long evening walks...

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 17, 2010

Was OK, but could not help but think they need a receptionist/welcome person.
Whoever answers the telephone at this hotel?
New Manager is creating an even better service ethos from staff team.
I will recommend, My wife says its the best place we have found in Sri Lanka.
So it must be then!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 14, 2010

Stayed at the Frangipani Tree for 3 nights and didn't leave the grounds once, it was that good. The service was faultless, always there when you need something but never intrusive. The food was wonderful; when we decided we fancied something that wasn't on the menu the chef simply rustled it up. We had the most wonderful seafood pasta (I shall never underestimate the potential of pasta again), and a beautiful locally caught red snapper. For breakfast he was happy to produce banana pancakes on request. And the wine - what can I say? The wine is something special.

The rooms are beautiful; simple and contemporary with lots of space. The beds are comfortable, and the pillows are particularly blissful. The sofas in the room and on the private terrace are perfect for when the weather is less than perfect; I spent many happy hours curled up there with a good book, not resenting the rain at all. I had an outdoor bathroom, and despite concerns about mosquitos, I didn't see a single one. It is truly wonderful to sit in a big bathtub in the open air in complete privacy.

The pool is beautiful - I will never forget midnight swims under the stars, accompanied by fire flies and the crash of the waves just beyond the end of the pool.

The whole complex is elegant and tasteful and everywhere you sit you get a slightly different view which makes you appreciate the architecture in a slightly different way. There's a lounge area with sofas and a day bed, and a TV and stereo, and a book case for swapping out books that you brought with you for something you've not read yet. It really is a very thoughtfully put together place, and one that pampers and indulges you while giving you the space to rest and relax and enjoy the sea and the space. If I ever find myself in Sri Lanka again I will be back.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 9, 2010

We chose the Frangipani Tree in Galle to host our wedding of 30 guests.

We had an amazing time and could not have wished for a better wedding day! The Frangipani was a beautiful venue and the quality of service and food was wonderful. Our guest really enjoyed themselves and the night was very memorable thanks to the management and the staff.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 5, 2010

The Frangipani Tree is fantastic and it is perfect for relaxation.

We booked - room and transfer from Colombo airport - directly with the hotel - and the response was prompt and courteous. We used PayPal to deposit the 25% of the total amount, the procedure was very simple.

Our bedroom was clean, spacious and modern, with four poster bed (with mosquito net) and a big sofa.
The bathroom was enormous, closed (because I dont' like open air bathroom) and clean.

Food was delicious, a special mention to the tuna sandwich (with salad and chips), it was very tasty!!
Lunches and dinners at the hotel were perfect: romantic setting and fantastic food, we ate specialties of Sri Lanka and a lot of fish (such as tuna, white fish, lobster).

In front of the hotel the beach was beautiful,with many coconut palm trees.
We walked on the beach and we were the only people on it...what a wonderful feeling!
Make sure you are near the beach around 5 pm to watch turtles swimming in the sea, it was amazing!

The sea - we were there at the end of march - was very rough and it was not safe for swimming.

Outside the hotel it was very easy to catch a tuk tuk, we visited the turtles hatchery in Habaraduwa and Handunugoda tea factory (a 140-year old white tea plantation) in Tittagalla.

The Staff was very friendly and helpful, thanks to everybody!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ritafant
Reviewed March 19, 2010

We selected the frangipani tree to host our wedding abroad in February and we are so pleased that we did. We hired out the complete resort for 3 amazing days. All our family remarked how great it was so I feel I must post a review.
The planning for the wedding started way back last year with Shahzad, who I believe is the owner. His quick, detailed responses, together with his excellent communication skills convinced us to select them. We looked at various options but non could compare with the unique, personalised proposal that The Frangipani Tree had to offer.

Accommodation:
9 rooms, all very spacious, some with semi-outdoor bathrooms, some within the main house which are huge, both bedroom and bathroom. The design is amazing, very contemporary and beds very comfortable and large.

Complex:
Very spacious, excellently presented grounds, complete with tennis court, heated lap pool all facing out to the beautiful Thalpe beach. To the right, just a short walk away you will find the famous stilt fishermen! Make sure you are around at sun up, sun down to watch hundreds of thousands of the birds (bee eaters or humming birds I believe) coming home to roost. Very spectacular!

Staff:
All very professional, they seem to blend but are always there when you need them, which works great. A special mention for Nico who basically took over all the wedding organising on our arrival. He took all the stress away and contributed many of his ideas.

Food:
Didn’t have a bad meal, ate there each night. We were able to offer our wedding guests a choice of 3 meals on the wedding day and pretty much all our guests commented how nice they were.

Conclusion:
Would not hesitate in recommending The Frangipani Tree as a quick, chilled out holiday destination. Also, as a wedding venue. We had a fantastic time.

• Stayed: February 2010
Reviewed March 6, 2010

We had an amazing honeymoon. Nico and the staff treated us like old friends. The grounds were spacious so even when there were more guests we still had a lot of privacy. The food was delicious and excellent value and we could eat in the communal area or outside our room on the patio.

The outdoor bathroom in our room (Leatherback II) was great added to the experience.

We would also recommend the massage two doors down (can't remember the name sorry) and the turtle hatchery in Koggala (about 5 mins away by tuk-tuk) where we released turtles into the sea.

We had a very special trip and would definitely go back and recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Unawatuna
Thaproban Beach House
#1 of 27 in Hikkaduwa
Flower Garden Hotel
Flower Garden Hotel
#12 of 33 in Unawatuna

Been to The Frangipani Tree by Edwards Collection? Share your experiences!