What a great little boutique hotel! I don't remember the name of our room but it was large and airy, overlooking the pool and with a beautiful outdoor bathroom. The design is very minimal meets sri lankan, lots of wood and slate. The pool is just stunning and the whole Frangipani vibe, laid back cool. There's a tree at the end of the pool where at night literally hundreds of birds come to roost for the night. It's quite spectacular listening and watching them flock to the tree. With the sea just behind them we loved watching this every day!
We didn't eat any meals here apart from breakfast, which was just perfect. When you have kids in tow, uttering the word 'pancakes' is always a benefit to any hotel. Generally we would lounge around for breakfast and then fo to the beach at Wijaya and come back and use the pool in the afternoon. The breakfast included plates of fruit and all the usual cooked stuff likes eggs and bacon. All served on a bit table in the courtyard area.
For anyone scared of creepy crawlies, the bathroom may not be for you. Yes things move. No nothing will attack you apart from the odd mossie. We love outdoor bathrooms so this was a bonus for us and very beautifully designed.
The hotel is perfectly situated for exploring the area if you don't want to stay in Galle itself, its just a short tuk tuk or taxi ride away.
Our room was a great size for a family of 4 and we had the extra beds for the kids next to our bed on the floor. We didn't have any issues with mosquito's but be vigilent just in case.
The grounds are very pretty, but the sea we didn't find very swimmable. There are fisherman just outside of the gate to the left ans that's pretty lovely to watch and photograph.
This area of Sri Lanka is beautiful and if you're looking for a beautifully designed boutique hotel that won't break the bank, Frangipani is perfect. We look forward to returning soon.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Spend Time with Sea Turtles and Sparrows who visit this beautiful property Set on an improbable juxtaposition of simplicity and luxury overlooking the turquoise Indian Ocean. The Frangipani Tree is sun, sand, trees, culinary, sensuous and spiritual indulgences among Intimate, Exclusive and Elegant surroundings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Agoda, Evoline ltd, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly and Priceline so you can book your The Frangipani Tree by Edwards Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Frangipani Tree Hotel Unawatuna
- Frangipani Tree Galle
- Frangipani Tree Hotel Galle