“Feel the concrete love”

The Frangipani Tree by Edwards Collection
Ranked #7 of 33 Hotels in Unawatuna
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We stayed for four nights at the Frangipani Tree, in a Hawksbill room at the end of the complex. The hotel and setting really are beautiful, the architecture understated yet sophisticated. I loved the minimalist lines and smooth coolness of the concrete in the rooms though I can see that it's not to everyone's taste. The highlight of the room was the garden bathroom, a real novelty, one that certainly wouldn't be achievable at home!

Staff were friendly and there were a lot of them for such a small place though there is no management around after 10.00pm which is a bit worrying if you had an emergency.

A couple of niggles which have prevented me from giving 5 stars. As others have said, it's not a cheap place to stay so you do expect more for your money. It has been mentioned elsewhere that the door handles to the bathroom kept falling off and this hadn't been resolved when we stayed. It's a simple maintenance matter and should have been addressed by now. There was also no WiFi access in our room, again not a biggy but it should be available, and was around the pool area. Breakfast was good with plentiful fruit and toast but as veggies, we weren't offered an alternative to meat with our eggs.

All in all it is a really lovely place to stay but has the feel more of a (very) upmarket guest house than a 5 star boutique hotel.

One final thing: the birds! Every evening at dusk, thousands upon thousands of small birds (I don't know what kind and the management couldn't help either!) swarmed in the sky, coming to roost in the palm trees and lengths of wire which the hotel has placed around the site for this purpose. It is a staggering and breathtaking sight and not to be missed but if you have a bird phobia beware! The accumulation of so many birds also leaves a distinct and quite pungent odour around the grounds of what can only be described politely as guano. Whilst this is absolutely no fault of the hotel, after all the birds have been migrating a lot longer than we've been sunning ourselves on Sri Lankan beaches, it might be something to take into account if you have a particularly sensitive sense of smell!

Room Tip: Garden bathrooms have the wow factor.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 30, 2013

I stayed at Frangipani Tree in November with my parents. We are usually not accustomed to pay so much for a room but we decided to treat ourselves. Yes, the place is beautiful, but it is lacking in so many ways!! I had been excited to end our trip in Sri Lanka at the Frangipani Tree, only to be severely let down.

The room is beautiful and spacious, but traveling in a group of 3 we needed an extra bed. The extra bed provided was literally a mattress on the floor!! For USD50!!! After the 3 nights we stayed there, I was covered in bug bites (as the bed obviously didn't have a mosquito net like the others). When we complained about the situation, the managers were hardly apologetic and said they would offer something complimentary seeing as they didn't have a real bed or mosquito net - when our bill came, NOTHING was discounted as they had said - they even tried to palm it off as our dinner the night before had been free (but we hadn't even eaten there!!).

The most upsetting part of our stay were that the two managers had absolutely no clue about the surrounding areas. Being first time visitors we had questions about prices of tuk tuks to locations near by and they had no idea! When we asked them to phone in and reserve our whale watching trip (so we didnt have to use our overseas phones) the price quoted to me was higher than what I saw on the website. When I called the manager's attention to it he seemed quite uncomfortable and apologized (undoubtedly for getting caught!!). Same goes for booking a car to the airport - I am aware the convenience of booking from the hotel is always a bit pricier, but not more than DOUBLE the price we saw at an agency in Unawatuna nearby.

There is nothing worse than getting ripped off by the hotel - especially when it's the one place you should be able to trust when you are in a different country. These are just a few examples of the unprofessional behavior we encountered at the Frangipani Tree. This is such a beautiful hotel - that is going downhill because of the way it is run.

Also the menu of the hotel is quite pricey and there is not much variety in what's available. We ate one meal there since we got in late at night and avoided eating there again for the rest of the trip.

I wouldn't stay here again or recommend it to my friends.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank 22cdc
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I stayed here with my husband (to-be at that time) and best friends. We rented 3 rooms. All of the rooms were gorgeous, very specious, clean with unique interior design. My favorite is the room with the outdoor bathroom, it was one of a kind experience. The boutique hotel is very clean, food is amazing, even though pricier than usual in Sri lanka, it is worth the money!
The staff, especially Petar, Angela & Pubudu were extremely helpful and made every bride's wish come true. :)
If you wish for an exotic wedding by the sea and very intimate, this is the place! Also i reccomend it for romantic getaways for couples, nothing like waking up every morning by the sound of the ocean. The only fall back is the prices of alcohol, but all in all i would definitly reccomend Frangipani to everyone and i hope i would come back as soon as possible. :)

Petar & Angela thanks again for all your help! your the best! :)
Amanda & Ivo

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 27, 2013

The tranquil and relaxing feel of The Frangipani Tree is exactly what I have been searching for. The food is particularly impressive, fresh and flavorful. Service, especially from the management team, is attentive and efficient.
The rooms are minimalist, sophisticated, and extremely comfortable.
The hotel is a little outside Galle Fort, but transport is extremely easy and cheap. There are not many activities in the hotel itself, but in room information is very helpful for outside options, which can all be organized by the staff.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We ended a 3 week holiday in Sri Lanka with a fabulous 4 night stay in the frangipani tree.... It was a great way to end our holiday. The room was beautiful, huge, 4 poster bed, with the sounds of the Indian Ocean outside.... The location is great, near unawatuna if you want something lively, near galle for some nice restaurants and if you don't want to leave the food in the hotel is scrumptious. The one draw back is that the beach outside is not good for swimming... But there are lovely beaches nearby so it's not a problem.... Also the wildlife there is incredible.... Thousands of birds each evening landing on the trees to sleep, turtles laying eggs on the beach outside!!
I thoroughly recommend the frangipani tree as a place to stay!

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank evelyn15
Reviewed January 25, 2013

My husband and had the pleasure of getting married at The Frangipani tree in December. I guess every bride is nervous when booking a wedding especially in a foreign country because you are unsure what you are going to get. From initial inquiries the staff and management were extremely helpful and went out of their way to answer all of my many questions.

We had a very warm greeting from Angela the manageress and all the staff on arrival who welcomed us and helped us out with everything. Our room was fantastic and we loved our beachfront view and outside bathroom. Everything was clean and presented beautifully with lots of extra special touches like flowers on our bed and bathroom.

The food was definitely some of the best we had during our two weeks in Sri Lanka. The head chef was an absolute star along with all of the other chefs and waiters. My husband and I are real "foodies" and were very impressed with the quality and freshness, so much so we didn't eat anywhere else during our stay at The Frangipani Tree. If you are a seafood lover definitely try out the seafood platter! Totally delicious!

I have read some of the other less favorable reviews that have been written, and it makes me question if they are the type of people that can find fault in anything and everything. Unfortunately there are always a minority of negative people that will find fault in what the majority of guests would consider exceptional. We spoke to other guests during our stay and they too shared the same high opinion.

ALL of the staff absolutely made our stay, everyone from the room boy, waiters, chefs, cleaners and management. They were so warm and friendly and went out of their way to make our wedding and stay amazing. A major highlight for my husband was playing cricket with staff, so if any of you are cricket lovers try and fit a game in. I can't recommend the Frangipani Tree more highly we were treated like royalty and for us we have incredible memories that we will treasure forever.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 24, 2013

My friends and I had the opportunity to visit this beautiful hotel during december of 2012 and loved every minute of our stay there. We loved the setting and the lush garden of the hotel and loved the pool to lazy around all day.
The manager, miss Angela and her team was extrmely helpful to my friends and I in our sightseeing tours to galle fort and surrounding areas as well as booking us great restaurents for our occational meal outside the hotel.
The lamb tagine is to die for and the restaurent is pretty decent too.
Overall I had a really good stay and I take home wondrful memories of my southcoast trip.
Cheers to frangipani xx

• Stayed: December 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Unawatuna
CoCo Bay Unawatuna
Cantaloupe Levels
Cantaloupe Levels
#2 of 33 in Unawatuna
The Fortress Resort & Spa

Been to The Frangipani Tree by Edwards Collection? Share your experiences!