We stayed for four nights at the Frangipani Tree, in a Hawksbill room at the end of the complex. The hotel and setting really are beautiful, the architecture understated yet sophisticated. I loved the minimalist lines and smooth coolness of the concrete in the rooms though I can see that it's not to everyone's taste. The highlight of the room was the garden bathroom, a real novelty, one that certainly wouldn't be achievable at home!
Staff were friendly and there were a lot of them for such a small place though there is no management around after 10.00pm which is a bit worrying if you had an emergency.
A couple of niggles which have prevented me from giving 5 stars. As others have said, it's not a cheap place to stay so you do expect more for your money. It has been mentioned elsewhere that the door handles to the bathroom kept falling off and this hadn't been resolved when we stayed. It's a simple maintenance matter and should have been addressed by now. There was also no WiFi access in our room, again not a biggy but it should be available, and was around the pool area. Breakfast was good with plentiful fruit and toast but as veggies, we weren't offered an alternative to meat with our eggs.
All in all it is a really lovely place to stay but has the feel more of a (very) upmarket guest house than a 5 star boutique hotel.
One final thing: the birds! Every evening at dusk, thousands upon thousands of small birds (I don't know what kind and the management couldn't help either!) swarmed in the sky, coming to roost in the palm trees and lengths of wire which the hotel has placed around the site for this purpose. It is a staggering and breathtaking sight and not to be missed but if you have a bird phobia beware! The accumulation of so many birds also leaves a distinct and quite pungent odour around the grounds of what can only be described politely as guano. Whilst this is absolutely no fault of the hotel, after all the birds have been migrating a lot longer than we've been sunning ourselves on Sri Lankan beaches, it might be something to take into account if you have a particularly sensitive sense of smell!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Spend Time with Sea Turtles and Sparrows who visit this beautiful property Set on an improbable juxtaposition of simplicity and luxury overlooking the turquoise Indian Ocean. The Frangipani Tree is sun, sand, trees, culinary, sensuous and spiritual indulgences among Intimate, Exclusive and Elegant surroundings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Booking.com, Priceline, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Frangipani Tree by Edwards Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Frangipani Tree Hotel Unawatuna
- Frangipani Tree Galle
- Frangipani Tree Hotel Galle