“The horror hotel!!”
Review of Peacock Hotel

Peacock Hotel
Ranked #21 of 34 Hotels in Unawatuna
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Look at my pictures and see for yourself, this place is terrible!

It's a tourist trap!
Bad food, rude owner, bad rooms.
Ther was rain on our bed, whe changed rooms and had to walk 500 meters to an other hotel.
No appologies whatsoever!

Certainly don't go there with kids, unless you wan't to get rid of them and make it look like an accident!

Do not go there, i repaet do not go there!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rik S

Reviewed February 17, 2012

My husband and I arrived in the afternoon and sat down to have an overpriced child sized lunch. During lunch, my husband noticed turtles hatching on the hotel propterty behind a fence situated beside the restaurant. My husband is a professional biologist and we took great interest and helped the staff dig out the nests. They instructed us to place the sea turtles in buckets they had filled with water. Around 200 turtles were collected and one of the staff advised us to return that evening st 8:00 pm to help release the turtles to the sea, once it was dark and safe to do so. We returned at 8 pm and were told to sit and order something and that they would be released in a while. We sat and had a couple drinks and waited untul 9 pm. Around that time, one of the staff brought a small round bucket out and placed it on the seafood table in front of the restaurant beside a sign that read, "free sea turtles after eating here," or something to this effect. There were around 30 turtles in the container. We watched as tourists picked out a turtle and put them in the sea and we also put a few in. Then I went into the restaurant and asked them to bring more turtles since the ones they brought had been released. I was told by a number of the staff that all the turtles had already been released earlier. We knew this to be untrue because when we arrived, we asked where the larger buckets we put them into that afternoon were, and we were told they were put inside, so local dogs could not get at them. I challenged them and told them that if they had the turtles hidden somewhere, they had a responsibility to release them. My husband positively identified them as Ridley Olive turtles, a Cites 1 species and they had already been in the containers since 3 pm that afternoon. The owner then came over to us and started shouting at us that they were his turtles because they had dug up the nests on the beach and reburied them on his property and he could do what they wanted with them. I suggested they did not belong to them and that they would possibly die if they weren't released and that what he is doing is just wrong. THEN HE SMACKED ME IN THE MOUTH and threatened us that if we did not leave, he would do something a lot worse to us.
Make your on judgments and continue to support this man if you like. I plan on contacting the authorities and he will be reported for the physical and environmental assault. He to me represents so much that has gone awry with tourism.

• Stayed: February 2012
13  Thank Krishna70
Reviewed February 1, 2012

We got off the bus and walked to the beach to find Peacock as first choice, we sat down at the terrace and while having a beer we discuss wheter to stay and asked another couple how the hotel was.
We got a "deal" of 11.500SLR (£65) for 4 days but only one breakfast as we preferred to have something different everyday.
When he showed me the room it was on the first floor at the end corner, not directly looking at the ocean but just a little bit. Room was basic, fan, hot water, mosquito net, 2 windows, clean enough and cheap so we stayed one night and when we woke up not been bitten by anything and having had a great rest we decided to stay for the rest of our stay in SW Sri Lanka.
They did not clean my room the first day but apparently we had to tell them, so I did, left the keys and they changed towels and clean everywhere. I was never missing anything, money, passports, papers..
Now, if I was to come back again I would not choose this beach BUT if I was to stay in this beach I would probably choose this one hotel again if that makes sense.
I went to a good 6 other places to enquiry and the prices if you compare the rooms where much higher, Im not too sure if people realize this, it is always logical to compare rather than judging a place outside its context...
We went on bus to Mirissa,(much better and definitely my choice if I was to go back) Weligama, Ahangama, Koggala,(the one behind Fortress hotel is really something else, please do not miss this one out, amazing natural rock pools that get filled with every wave through endless waterfalls like and empty again...jaw dropping!) etc and the beaches there are just much better, Unawatuna is kind of a bay with not many waves and resort type like anywhere else in the world. Find a good spot to eat wasnt easy and we ended up in a buffet diner of a hotel near by for 1300SLR each directly in the beach (Unawatuna beach resort I think is called) We also had dinner twice at the hotel: curry buffet for 600SLR was fine or fresh fish, tiger prawns and seer fish for 1500SLR. I got never sick in my whole stay in SL unlike the previous 2 times in Asia
One of the waiters was an angel, really attentive and I have to say considering the SL customer service standards, the service here was quick (for a change) and the food was absolutely fine, also cocktails and drinks 100SLR for a coke, 600SLR for a cocktail or 250SLR for a big beer where fine. They would add it all up and finished making a mistake on our bill at departure, they charged me for a dessert that I did not have, made no fuss when I explained but did not charge for one of the diners.
So, it is true that the owner may be quite money driven, but I also saw him engaging into conversation with customers at diner time and after it was made clear that maths are not their strength.
I read a review about techno music and have to say something: on the first night my partner went to bed really early, I stayed in the terrace having a drink when the music from a close by restaurant started and was fearing itd wake him up or would ruin our night BUT as I went onto the room which by location was one of the closest I realize the noise was hardly audible, even the one from our restaurant just beneath which was a relief.
I also read a review about how basic the room was...listen, you are 2 meters from the water, in one of the busiest beaches in the SW, can visit jungle, spices gardens, temples, water sports, stunning beaches, Galle, snorkling...I do not see the point but if you are after A/C or TV stay in the hotel near by for 200 USD a night paying their 26% taxes!!!!
I read about not hot water, well, in 4 days this happens once and it wasnt the end of the world, I guess everyone was having the shower at the same time (after sunset and before dinner) and the tank got empty (???) but we had many many showers and only happens once.
Having said the good, the bad and the ugly is up to you to decide but first compare cos there is better, there is worse but this is good value for money.
Have a lovely time!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Indizara
Reviewed January 12, 2012

We have paid 2 nights, but we left there only for one. it was horrible because nearby ( about 100 m) is disco with techno, which we have heared hole night. After that night was nobody speaking with us, they told us that it isnt their problem

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Tereza S
Reviewed January 9, 2012

I'd say that many of the negative comments on this hotel are probably appropriate - but as with many things in life, you get what you pay for. The prices are not as cheap as some guest houses in Unawatuna - but then it is literally at the edge of the surf. Our stay was in May last year and yes, the manager can be a bit of a wally, but we got on fine with him. The staff are very friendly. Didn't have any issues with hygiene, the food was usually good and the beer cold. One happy punter in me, anyway! The rooms relatively basic but clean. My suggestion would be (if at all possible) to view the rooms, decide what you want and negotiate there and then - harder to do if you need to be sure of a booking in advance. This was what we did, and I recal we paid around £20/night for the room at the most western end of the hotel on the top floor - worth doing as you don't get any people walking past your windows in the night!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 8, 2012

Peakok is right on the Beach, with about 10 rooms rooms dived over two floors (and the restaurant down below) and have shared balconies with amazing views. The Indian Ozean is only 5m from the house. Most rooms are quite simple, ours was very big but did not have hot water nor A/C. For those of us that like to see our face when we shave, the light in the bathroom also left something to wish for. When we were there beginning of January they asked for 50-60 U$ a night (Double incl. BF) depending on the room and were not willing to negotiate. Which is a lot for the low standard you get.... (we quickly understood why as it seems that around Christmas/New Years there are so many backpackers around that all good lower priced rooms in Unawatuna are gone by noon time - supply & demand) Overall an average guesthouse at a great location and if you avoid the high season you can probably also negotiate a rate better fitting to what you get.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 2, 2012

located directly at the beach and quite close to the steet with the busstations the location is actually perfect / the crew of the Peacock is very friendly, ignore their boss!
for the evening: if you're going back to the street and then a few metres to the right you find a very authentic place for good rotty (be careful about the price)
for the day: don't go to this "jungle beach", it's on the other side of Galle bay and very dirty!

• Stayed: October 2011