“Mosquito infested”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Unawatuna
Shangri La Guest House
Ranked #63 of 128 Specialty Lodging in Unawatuna
San Sebastian - Donostia, Spain
“Mosquito infested”
Reviewed December 18, 2011

So we arrived, got a two month old wonderful looking cabana, with an ample open sky bathroom. When we arrive at night, the room was full of mosquito as we never saw before in any kind of accomodation we've ever been.( We have been travelling the world for over 15 years on different budgets). The neighbors were very loud till very late. Barking dogs all night. Stinky linen because humidity. No staff in the main building. We run away after the first night. Unawatuna dissapointing. Tiny lovely beach, fuuuuuull of hotels by the sea.

• Stayed December 2011

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed December 14, 2011

Shangri La is a lovely, quiet setting slightly off from the crowds of Unawatuna beachfront. Less than 5 minutes walk to the beach and the main drag of shops, restaurants, and hotels, Shangri La is located in a walled property with several bungalows situated around the main guesthouse. The bungalows each have a private bath. Rooms are available in the main guesthouse, which also boasts a restaurant.

The rooms were very inexpensive, and the accomodations were great for the price. On the upside, Shangri La offers a quiet, tranquil place a stones throw from Unawatuna beach but away from the crowds and drinking of the main drag. This especially could be appealing if you're older and want a break from the 25 year olds at the beach or if you are sunned out and would like some time in the shade. I would stay here again, but would go in as an informed traveler and ask to review the room with the receptionist to take care of any issues up front. I experienced several issues (outlined below), but each of the issues was minor and could be easily resolved to move this review from a 3 to a 5.

As for the minor issues: You do need mosquito nets in this part of Sri Lanka if you're staying in a room without AC, and I was disappointed to find the net with holes and with a mosquito inside. No big deal - I shook it out and doused it in bugspray and it was fine. I was annoyed after specifically asking the reception desk whether the dog barking on the other side of the wall outside my bungalow also barked at night and was told he did not to find that he did in fact bark all night. And after specifically asking whether the room had hot water, I was disappointed to find it was room temperature (though it was hot enough that this wasn't really an issue except first thing in the morning when it had cooled off). The room and bathroom were clean, though the pillows are old and dingy and need replacing.

Someone gave me good advice about looking for hotels in this part of Sri Lanka - you can spend $10 on a budget option and you won't be disappointed because you're expecting a budget option. Or you can spend $60 thinking you'll get a little nicer place but still be disappointed because the water pressure isn't strong enough or something else isn't to your expectations. The margin in quality between a $10 and $60 hotel isn't consistent, and what you're getting for the price at $10 is pretty darn good. I recommend the budget route!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank SfromDC
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 26, 2011

Stayed here for over two weeks, reading other reviews made me smile.
Mally is a character who you have to get used to, Rashica at first seems distant but is in fact lovely with a good heart, she just takes time. Other staff were friendly, although kept disappearing because of the festival that was on, which drove Mally mad! Our room was not cleaned during our stay but it is good value for the location, setting, sitting in hammocks that are around, reading books that were available to borrow.
Only slight gripe was no wifi and charged for connecting your own computer to their line, but was not expensive. Don't expect first class service when you are not paying much, ie daily cleaning etc. I felt relaxed, safe and that people would help me if I needed it, I was initially alone and felt totally safe, and when my teenage girls arrived so did they, was not worried personally for my safety or for any of my valuables.

Room Tip: Lovely cabanas and rooms, but make sure you agree price first
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 18, 2011

I've stayed at some pretty bad hotels in my time, and being the tropics you perhaps expect the standard not to be as good as elsewhere. But never in my life before have I had to leave a hotel.

The cabana rooms looked good from the outside and were of a good size. The shower had hot water. However the room was not clean at all, the staff were non-existent, and it was bug infested.

If you don't mind bugs and creepy crawlies and want a jungle experience this might be for you. It certainly wasn't for me after being bitten to shreds within an hour (mosquito net had holes in)

It is cheap, but there are better cheap hotels in the resort

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Annbag
Gstadt am Chiemsee, Germany
Reviewed February 27, 2011

dear lakmali, dear razika, and most of all dearest mali,
thank you for everthing you did for us. we will come back again. :-)))
we are still so happy that we stayed in your beautiful garden cabbanas during 2 weeks, very quiet in the day- and night time, which is so important, becouse the sound in unwatuna/beachside at night is full of "TECHNO" music untilthe early morning, and this means 3-4 times a week. :-(
birgitta and brigitte from germany
(from 5.2.-20.2.2011)

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Kendal, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 15, 2010

We have just stayed at the Shangri - La for a week and I do agree with most of the comments above, however the price was very low! we were only paying £6 per night for a 2 bedroomed cottage so I think you have to be realistic.
On the plus side the location and garden are fantastic, other people have mentioned mosquitoes but with the cabanas and cottages being in a lush garden at the start of the monsoon I think you have to accept that this might be a problem and I don't know what the owners can do other than provide coils and put nets up both of which they did.
However on the downside the family that run the hotel were not very helpful most of the time we couldn't find anyone if we needed anything. The kitchen had a kettle and a gas ring which was what we wanted as traveling with small children we find it easier to be able to make breakfast and lunch for them ourselves but there was no cooking pots or pans provided, we asked the owner and he did give us one from his own kitchen but it seems crazy to have a kitchen but not provide equipment! We did manage to get the room cleaned but we had to go and ask, and we also felt that we would have liked a brush and mop provided so that we could clean up our selves after meals etc.
We also found it frustrating that often the bar in the hotel was closed by 8.30pm so we were unable to get a drink once the children were in bed.
I still think though, that the place is good value for money, we were only paying £1 per head each night so these were fairly minor irritations, and the fire flys in the garden entertained our children everynight!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
England
Reviewed April 20, 2009

I spent four nights at the Shangri La with my husband and two grown up daughters, following a ten day tour of Sri Lanka. We were pleased with the setting, and the cabanas were well equipped. However following a meal of grilled fish in the restaurant my husband and I were horribly sick all night - having had previously good health on the trip. There was a disco thumping all night for three nights - it was New Year. The rooms were never cleaned, and even when i asked for at least the bathroom to be sorted out after our sickness, nothing happened. The extremely unfriendly owner just said he had no staff due to the New Year - and wouldn't even provide a pot of tea.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Unawatuna
Thaproban Beach House
#9 of 31 in Unawatuna
Gloria Grand Hotel
Gloria Grand Hotel
#1 of 31 in Unawatuna

Been to Shangri La Guest House? Share your experiences!