“Attention to Detail from a Railroadman”

Unawatuna Nor Lanka Hotel
Ranked #5 of 146 Unawatuna B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 21, 2011

Nor Lanka Hotel in Una is a positive surprise.

I give out very few 5 star ratings, and this is one of them.

The rooms are all perfectly clean, large and well laid out. There are bed lights, really comfortable beds and nice white linen and comfortable head pillows. Unlike other places they actually thought about the placement of the A/C. It is put so that it does not blow cold air directly on you while in bed. And it works. Often the A/C is either on or off, but this one has a nice temperature control you can set at your liking.

The Wifi also works and its pretty fast.

Breakfast is delicious. Fruit, eggs, pancakes and good tea. Have a look inside the kitchen, this is one of the few that might actually pass a Health inspection. Its clean.

We did not eat dinner at the hotel, but its supposed to be pretty good. Good restaurants on the beach are KingFisher and a cheaper place One Love. A place to avoid is Tartaruga.

There are common areas where you can watch TV, read books or just chill.

Nor Lanka is located about 1 minute walk from the beach, right behind UBR. It is inside an enclosed wall and there is a 24 hour guard. Its quiet, you do not get the people and music noise from the beach places.

Unawatuna beach is OK, but not really the best. The North end of the beach has calm water, but also some pollution. The middle part of the beach has cleaner water and big waves. The South end of the beach has waves and a lot of current, plus some sand for you to lie down on.

We went to Wadiya beach (200 rupee tuk-tuk) which was better and had a great Pizza place. T
All of the above can be said about other places, so what makes this place special?

Well, its the attention to detail and the extremely friendly and welcoming attitude from the staff. Everywhere. You will have fresh flowers in your room everyday and also in the common areas. If you walk out the door and look like you are going to the beach somebody will immediately ask you if you want a beach towel. We came home one night from a restaurant and the front guard offered flowers to my daughters.

A lot of it probably comes from the almost all female staff. Something which is a bit unusual in Sri Lanka where you usually see men working in restaurants and hotels.

The hotel is owned by a Norwegian (Helge) and his Sri Lankan wife, hence the hotel name. Helge tells me he used to work at the Norwegian Railroads. How he managed to build and manage a hotel which such attention to detail remains a mystery to me. But fact is that he and his wife did.

Its a great little hotel in a good location.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank Redspring
There are newer reviews for Unawatuna Nor Lanka Hotel

Reviewed October 21, 2011

I was only supposed to stay here for three or four days but I loved it so much I ended up staying for about 10 nights. I was unwell when I arrived at Norlanka (something I had eaten at a different place) and when Anoma found out she was so sweet she gave me a local tonic to try to help get me better. I couldn't have asked for nicer hosts, Helge and Anoma are both so considerate and so easy going.

Their hotel is so relaxing and so comfortable and quiet - really secluded despite being literally only a 30 second walk to the most amazing beach ever. The food in the hotel was superb - the best dahl I have ever had and the best curries ever. The staff were all incredibly sweet and helpful. We went to Yala with their driver Roshan and he was a real gem - he took us on a bit of a culinary adventure afterwards feeding us proper curd and honey from his favourite supplier as well as plying us with loads of mini watermelon (the tastiest I have ever had). He was fantastic in Yala as well - spotted leopards for us and went way above and beyond the call of duty.

I am already planning my next trip and I would recommend Norlanka without hesitation. Helge and Anoma have created an amazing spot and you would be losing out if you didn't stay there!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank lavajonation
Reviewed October 11, 2011

I have had the oportunity to be a guest at Nor Lanka Hotel a few times. Always warmly received by the staff and treated very well from arrival to departure. The rooms are always clean and roomservice exellent. One of the best kitchens in Sri Lanka! If you do not belive me, go there and check out yourself :-) 11 Oct 2011 TorKa

Room Tip: All rooms are good.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank TorKa
Reviewed October 3, 2011

We hava stayed here 6 nights in Nor Lanka. Have met a lot of people and the owner Helge is really kind and helped us out as much as he could. He has arranged for us that we could join a trip with other people and it turned out really great!
Rooms are really clean, good matress!!!! And really delicious food.
It's a place that I'll never forget!

• Stayed: September 2011
3  Thank serlove2travel
Reviewed October 3, 2011

We travelled to Sri Lanka in Feb. We needed a base from which we could tour the Island by motorcycle. Booked the Norlanka, based on Trip Advisor reviews. It was everything that reviewers said it was. Relaxing, clean, friendly and good value for money. Everyone at Norlanka extended a warm welcome and were extremely helpful. The food was consistently of the highest standard and served in the dining room which was the focal point of the guest house. There was enough room for everyone to eat together although you could find space to be on your own if you wanted. The rooms were spacious and well appointed, with mozzie nets over the beds. We didn't see too many of the pesky blighters but the nets were a nice touch. After 5 days wwe set off on our motorbike, had a great time touring in the hills and then returned for another 5 days. We hope to return and take family members with us.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DaveandSue97
Reviewed October 2, 2011

Excellent service, clean rooms and great food!
The place to stay when traveling to Unawatuna. Am recommending to spend a few nights there, as it feels like home and the owners will assist you with any travel planning's you might need!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank aroundtheworld2206
Reviewed August 30, 2011

We stayed here for 4 nights in a very clean and comfortable family suite. Anome and Helge were really helpful in arranging transport and another Guesthouse for us.
The food is excellent and the location very good for the beach.
A lovely stay and really excellent value.
Thank-you