“Nice little secret garden!”

Secret Garden Villa
Ranked #19 of 32 Hotels in Unawatuna
“Nice little secret garden!”
Reviewed March 30, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights for a break during our Sri Lanka trip. The village was packed with tourists because of the cricket match but Secret Garden remained calm and quiet.
We stayed in bungalow nr. 2 which is pretty small and dark but you do not spend a lot of time in there. The shower and toilet are outside. They provide mosquito nets above the beds. Breakfast was good wi great coffee and fresh juices. Staff are very friendly and helpful.

The beach is footsteps away and plenty of restaurants to eat in the area. We had a relaxing stay and spend some time on the nice beach. There is no ATM in the village so take plenty of cash with you. And try the restaurant opposite of the SG called the Villa. Very nice food and service.

Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Ritchy41

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2012

I stayed at this villa with a work colleague for 2 nights over a weekend on a work trip to Sri Lanka. We had been working in Colombo & decided to travel elsewhere for the weekend, settling on Unawatuna, & the Secret Garden having seen it in the Lonely Planet book.

The driver who brought us here found it a little difficult to locate, but the friendly locals pointed us in the right direction immediately. We arrived fairly late on a Friday evening and were made to feel very welcome by staff who came and carried our bags into our rooms and then showed us which places would still be open to grab a bite to eat.

The villas are located a few hundred metres from the beach, inside a private, gated garden. We visited at the end of the low season so we didn't get all day long beach weather, but the beach in Unawatuna is wonderful, like a little slice of paradise, & the sea is warm! Unawatuna is relatively under-developed at the moment, which is lovely to see, but there are various bars & restaurants along the shore so there is a good choice of places to eat & drink.

I stayed in the villa on the very right as you walk onto the patio area & my friend had the adjoining villa (I think these were Moanah & Maymoonah), so the two of us shared a bathroom. The bathroom was partly outdoor (but with a high wall so no one could see in!) so yo can shower under the stars! Upon our arrival, the staff lit incense, and prepared the rooms for us (putting the mosquito net down & bringing out extra bedding), showing us around, which was a lovely touch.

The room that I stayed in had a book case containing books (mainly English & German) which other travellers had left behind, and there are seating areas outside the rooms where you can relax. The staff were lovely and would bring over tea, etc if you wanted it.

When we stayed at the villas, there was only one other guest so it was very quiet, but I can't imagine it ever not being quiet! The breakfast is freshly prepared each morning & tastes delicious! Fresh fruit, bread and scrambled eggs.

There is a small dome room in which you can attend yoga classes (I think they were offered twice per day) for a small fee with a teacher who comes in. It is also possible to book masages, which will be given in this room. I paid around $ 20 for an hour-long full body massage.

The rooms can get quite dark, but we didn't spend a huge amount of time in them during the day! There was a power cut on our second evening which seemed to affect the whole street, but the staff were again very helpful immediately placing candles all around the garden (which looked lovely!) & bringing them to our rooms.

It is easy to reach Galle from the villa - usually there are tuk tuk drivers around the hotel entrance for the brave travellers amongst you! We took a 2 hour ride with one driver who took us to a jewellery shop, around Galle and to a Buddhist temple, charging us about $10. Beware though - you'll be offered rides every time you leave the hotel after that!

Overall, I'd really recommend this place. We paid around $ 60 per night for a double room which, although not the cheapest place in the area, I considered really good value, & if I should ever find myself near Unawatuna again, I'll definitely be going back!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Lfclou
Reviewed March 25, 2012

Secret Garden Villa is a historic colonial villa set in a beautiful tropical garden. It is near, but not directly on the beach, which makes it a quiet and very private place. The villa rooms are generous in size, all of them with an additional, furnished space on the veranda. It's like having a suite. The furnishing is extremly nice and tasteful, with beautiful colors and decoration. It could pass as the private home of an interior designer. The staff is very friendly and helpful. There is a guard all night, which made me feel safe when walking home at night. Breakfast is served on the veranda, at any time of the day as it seems. Good coffee (!), fresh fruit and eggs, all prepared at the moment. The bathrooms are special, means, they are partly open air with plants growing into it. This is a nice touch, but might not be at everyone's taste - at least not if someone is paranoid about snakes and so (havn't seen any though). Only negative is that the beautiful rooms are very humid, with that particular damp smell when the doors are closed. This is unavoidable, as the walls are old and the garden is giving a lot af shape - means it never dries out. But he beauty of the place makes more than up for it.

Room Tip: For honeymooners and romance travellers: There is a fantastic, large suite on the back side of the h...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Ariazur
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed March 25, 2012

After reading glowing reviews, I really wanted to go to Secret Garden, but due to the rude, arrogant and unprofessional nature of the manageress,would rather penetrate my eyeballs with pins than set foot in the place. Although i feel that the initial problems with the booking may have been due to language barrier, I dutifully followed emailed instructions to send my bank details to confirm what turned out to be a non existent booking and, after numerous attempts to make e mail contact to seek confirmation was eventually instructed to phone the manageress. What a charmer she turned out to be! like in Fawlty Towers, she 'knew nothing', yet, although unprepared to take any responsibility, was very eager to portion blame her own staff. She talked over me with a loud voice when I tried to explain my concerns and eventually slammed the phone down. I assume that the people who wrote positive reviews didn't have the pleasure of meeting her!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
London, Canada
Reviewed February 28, 2012

We were in the Maymoona suite for three nights at the back of the main building. I loved it. A bit "rustic" I suppose, sure, but beautiful old colonial furniture in the rooms, and a nice open-to-sky hot shower. Don't know what the bungalows are like. The room was a bit dark, sure, but so what - that's a good thing if you're trying to sleep! Plenty of nice shady bits outside to sit and read or whatever.

STAFF: two local blokes, really really nice. Super helpful and friendly and welcoming, but without too much of that horrid cringeing subservience you get in the top-end places. Didn't meet the manageress who other reviewers say is difficult.

FOOD: very nice (not served every night I think, but whatever - other places to eat nearby). I thought it was really quite good value.

LOCATION: close to everything, but peaceful and relaxing. You can hear the bread-van-tuk-tuks annoying jingles quite a bit, which is annoying, but that's probably unavoidable round there.

Room Tip: Maymoona suite v nice. Big bedroom, private shady outside eating bit, nice outside bathroom.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Bratislava, Slovakia
Reviewed February 18, 2012

secret garden is wonderful and peaceful oasis in unawatuna...rooms are cozy and good equipped...close to beach...friendly staff...amazing garden with small auditorium...during our stay we were lucky to attend a special concert... thanks simona[owner]...

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Viareggio
Reviewed February 6, 2012

secret garden is the best place to stay in Unawatuna bay.
We spent there 13 nights and we wouldn't go away from that wonderful magic garden.
The staff of the guesthouse is the best I have ever met, they are kind and became very good friends.
when we left from secret garden we really cried so much.
I miss that people and that place every day of my life.
I surely go back there again!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple