Lowest prices for your stay
$61
Agoda.com
$58
Breakfast included
Multiple ways to pay
anasuya82g
Loved it!
5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed Sep 8, 2016via mobile
Wonderful place, quite and serene. Good good and great people. Loved it. The spa is amazing, get the balinese massage. Great rooms, large and spacious with an outdoor tub. Going to make this place a regular spot. I recommend it to anyone.
Date of stay: September 2016Trip type: Traveled solo
0.2 miles from Thambapanni Retreat
Beachfront
Restaurant
View more hotels in Unawatuna
All reviews sri lanka sister hotel yoga classes beautiful hotel jungle beach short walk to the beach pool area is a couple of minutes walk seafood every morning great room calm place deluxe room prawns monkeys trees sofa
Selected filters
Reviewed September 5, 2016 via mobile

Stayed here over the weekend for one night. The atmosphere is relaxing and inviting with very helpful staff, always asking you if everything is okay, that was much appreciated. We were however welcomed with a bit of a brawl between a two guests and the hotel, with guest and staff screaming back and fourth, but it's bound to happen at any property. We were given rooms in a separate building, the tv and telephone in our room did not work, on informing the reception they were quick to send a technician and a replacement phone. Even though the tv could not be fixed it didn't affect us as we were hardly in the room. Breakfast was very tasty, however the server had to be reminded multiple times of our order and even missed some out. But the tasty food made up for it. But, All in all a pleasant experience.

Date of stay: September 2016
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Thaproban, Front Office Manager at Thambapanni Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2016

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your wonderful review following your stay at Thambapanni Retreat,We are glad to know your vacation with us had been of top quality in all aspects.

we are really happy to announce that THAMBAPANNI RETREAT has been ranked 17 in 25 of BEST SERVICE hotels , travelers choice in Sri Lanka.

We at Thambapanni Retreat do our best to make each guest feel homely and well looked after. We believe in extending exceptional service standards in order to ensure each guest makes the best of his/her vacation with us. Thank you for your very encouraging feedback. We are truly flattered.
Having indulged in our unique Thambapanni Leisure Hospitality and real Ayurveda treatments help you to get more relax your body and soul with morning YOGA. we hope you will remember us the next time you come on vacation to Sri Lanka. We will be delighted to have you once again.
Best Regards

Reviewed August 27, 2016 via mobile

I came here for my first 2 nights when travelling down from Colombo with my boyfriend. We were greeted very kindly and given fresh fruit juice on arrival, which I loved, as it was a real Sri Lankan experience for my first night away from the city. As we walked into the retreat it was beautiful, the pool being next to reception, therefore we had already toured the hotel whilst checking in.

Real jungle vibe to it, with the wooden built up hotel surrounding the pool area, with lots of plants and trees. A truly stunning hotel.

Yet, the bedroom was not quite what we expected. The front window shutters did not open, therefore we had no sunlight in the room. We went into the bathroom, where there were hundreds or Mosquitos and a little gecko chilling on the wall. Which I personally was not a huge fan of when showering, as the gecko disappeared throughout and therefore giving me the shivers a little. Although it's only a friendly animal, I wasn't keen on having it in the room with us. We realised that the insects came from the shower drain, being just a hole in the bottom of the wall. This also meant that the bathroom flooded slightly.

Large mosquito net allowed us to feel a little more safe in the night, but had a very uncomfortable sleep. We felt a little trapped and spent as little time as we needed in the room.

Although, the included breakfast with our stay was lovely. We thoroughly enjoyed our morning meals, having a range of fruits and egg on toast. The staff were also very kind and took time out of their day to chat to us about not only how our stay was going and if they could help us with anything, but just casual chat about ourselves and our country.

Also, no staff were around after 12 and we were given no emergency number. And of course, my partner had an allergic reaction and needed to get to a doctor fast- and the only person around was the security guard. Yet he had no idea of how to speak English. So it was a very stressful experience trying to find someone to take us to hospital and fast.

It has potential to be a very amazing hotel, the bedrooms just need a little modernising. Yet for the price, it was what we needed I guess.

1  Thank chloestarks
Thaproban, Front Office Manager at Thambapanni Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2016

Dear Chloe,
First of all as Thambapanni is a retreat, it’s planned and built to enjoy the nature without disturbing or damaging it’s natural beauty and value. Therefore in some rooms you see rocks and plants that gives you the feeling of nature, which a lot of our repeating guests admire and would love to enjoy every year. and open shower room is specially made for those who love nature as the hotel is built on the slope of a small hill where there are a lot of birds around including peacocks.our guest really enjoying with nature with lot of flora and fauna.
Let me explain the situation about midnight when you need a car to go to hospital we been arrenged.but you said have a friend with tuk tuk can go faster and you have gone for it.so our staff always ready to help our guest in twenty four hours a day.
if your travels bring you to unawatuna again trust you will stay with us ....

Regards

Reviewed August 18, 2016 via mobile

I stayed here with the idea of having a relaxing few days and peace.....the photos on the website arw very deceiving! When I got to the resort I was taken to a different building.....away from the main place I was expecting to stay at. The room was run down, TV did not work, main telephone was broken, there was no wifi connection.

I notified the lady in reception and the tv was fixed (plug connected to the tv was hanging off the socket, wire exposed therefore unsafe). I told her the room's telephone was not working to which she replied "yes it doesn't work". This meant that everytime I needed anything I would have to walk from my building to the main hotel, which was a nuisance.

The wifi also did not work at all, bring so far away from the main hotel. Everytime I wanted to check my emails I would have to again walk to the main resort.

On the last day I was feeling very ill and throughout the night I was so worried that if I fainted, nobody would know as there was no telephone working, no wifi to contact anyone, no reception to make a phone call. The next day I informed the lady I was sick and she didn't care at all, did not offer any apology for the lack of facilities in the hotel.

I am thoroughly disappointed with the service and the price I paid was too much, considering how basic the room was. I have many friends who travel to Unawatuna and will them to NOT stay here.

Trip type: Traveled solo
2  Thank Purnima P
Thaproban, Front Office Manager at Thambapanni Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2016

Dear Purnima,
While thanking you for staying in our hotel, I would like to clarify a few things which you have pointed out in your review. The management will check and take care of the issues if there are any as our concern is the comfort of our guest.and apology for in any convene ant course. But as you mentioned you didn't speak to our reception or any responsible person about your sickness.

and also need to informed you as you check in to the hotel as a single lady guest our security making a special care on it.if you need to accompanying any second or third person in to the room need to fulfill the registration proceeds. because as a reputed hotel chain we are really concern about our residence.

And the Best treat hotel in unawatuna we have large scale of client base and the room rate can be affordable for any level travelers.
Hope you to welcome again in your next visit..
Regards

Reviewed August 16, 2016

We were looking forward to visiting Thambapanni Retreat again after an amazing stay last year. And it did not disappoint!! The rooms were superb, food was wonderful and the service - delightful! And all this at such an affordable rate!!

• Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank Nirasha2015
Thaproban, Front Office Manager at Thambapanni Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2016

Dear Nirasha,
hope you to welcome your next vacation in more incoraging stay.
Best Regards

Reviewed August 13, 2016 via mobile

What a lovely hotel. The staff were all so lovely and extremely helpful - even upgrading our room on arrival! We had a great massage on site so that's worth it if you have the time. Only a short walk to the beach and a very nice restaurant with tasty breakfasts. Highly recommend.

Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank DonaldLaz
Thaproban, Front Office Manager at Thambapanni Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2016

Dear Donald
Thank you for your great review of your stay here with us at Thambapanni Retreat . It is great to read such positives comments about your stay.
Our dedicated staff does most sincerely appreciate to your kind remarks. Thank you for giving us the entire pleasure & privilege of serving you. specially our Ayurweda treatment center is under Ayurvedic doctor and we are using original herbal oils.
..looking forward to welcome you soon..