“Beautiful little place”

Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in Unawatuna
Medway
“Beautiful little place”
Reviewed April 18, 2014

We stayed for 6 nights in a deluxe cabana.
The place is really beautiful: lovely pool, and basic but nice cabanas in a garden setting amongst trees, flowers and plants.
The restaurant is small, but the food is excellent and all the staff are friendly and helpful.
They have opened a new restaurant over the road but we didn't eat there.
The breakfast is ok; they give you a monster fruit platter which I found a bit over the top, tea or coffee, toast and eggs any style.
The air conditioning wasn't working very well in room 5; it was on but not cooling the room, so we were moved into room 1 which was a bit better but still not quite adequate for the heat.
Our friends stayed in a family cabana room 15 which was huge; 2 big bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. Their air con was too good and they had to turn the temperature up as they were too cold....
They give you towels for the pool and different towels for the beach which is nice, and free water every day. The rooms have a fridge which is essential.
The poolside is a bit limited for space for many sun loungers, most of which are totally in the shade, but if you want to laze in the sun all day you can go to the beach.
We've stayed closer to the beach on a couple of other occasions but it's well worth the 10 minute walk from the beach to get away from the crowds and the noise of the bars.
Overall I would thoroughly recommend this place despite the minor air con issue. It deserves its excellent rating for both food and accommodation and you won't be disappointed if you choose to stay here.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Reviewed April 11, 2014 via mobile

We spent a couple of weeks traveling around Sri Lanka visiting the cultural triangle area & various beach resorts.This was our first trip to Sri Lanka & as it turned out,Unawatuna & Galle town was probably my favourite part of the trip.Unawatuna has a very laid back,hippie type atmosphere & is basically one long dirt road that runs parallel to the beach.the road is lined with little souvenir shops,bar shacks,jewellery shops & guest houses.No pavement as such & tuk tuks & their drivers buzzing around so it was nice to come back to the serenity of the flower garden & to escape the hustle & bustle outside.pictures of the pool area on trip advisor are probably what drew me to this place In the first instance.it just looked so lush & tropical which it is.The pool area is quite small but we never had a problem finding a sun lounger when we were there in march.The room we were given was quite dark & musty smelling but as we were only staying for 4 nights & didn't intend to spend much time in the room anyway we didn't mind.for me,by far the best thing about this hotel was the restaurant.We enjoyed some gorgeous evening meals by candle light & although I didn't travel all that way to Sri Lanka to just eat European style food,I must say that the steak in this place was as good if not better than some very high end restaurants I've visited in London & at a fraction of the price.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Blueskiesstevie
Reviewed April 4, 2014 via mobile

As ever this hotel is a paradise.
Stayed for 2 weeks 3 years ago. This is just a 2 night visit but the service and atmosphere is the same. Great food. Perfect location and welcoming owner. Although I have no kids is a great place for families as it's so safe for little children.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 31, 2014

My boyfriend and I have just returned from a week in Sri Lanka and stayed in many hotels all over the island. We loved it here and after a couple of dodgy decisions (made by him not me haha) it was great to arrive at the Flower Garden Hotel. Unawatuna is a great area and we ended up staying an extra night - the only place we stopped for two nights on the whole trip. Food was amazing and the service was sri lankan speed but very good!

Room Tip: choose a deluxe cabin - definitely worth it!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Geraldton, Australia
Reviewed March 30, 2014

This hotel was down a little side street but still very close to the beach and restaurants, stalls etc. Had a really good pool and rooms were very comfortable. We only had breakfast here as cheaper meal options on the beach.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

This hotel was recommended to me by one of my friends who stayed here last year. I was not disappointed. The Hotel Flower Garden certainly lives up to its name! Our cabana was perfectly adequate and we had a huge jacuzzi in the bathroom. However it would have taken a week to fill as the water pressure was so low! We used the shower instead.
The hotel also has a lovely swimming pool which is good to use after a day out. Not ideal for lazing around though as there are only a few sun beds.
The food at the hotel deserves a mention, both the breakfasts and evening meals were fantastic. My partner had the Sri Lankan breakfast on a couple of days -an amazing feast. We ate at the hotel on three occasions and had fresh fish and tiger prawns on one night, curried crabs and fish curry on another but the best was the "Rice and Curry". A huge dish of rice served with 9 different curries as well as poppadoms. All washed down with Lion Beer! My tip is stay away from all the European foods offered and enjoy the fantastic Sri Lankan food.
Well Done to Sassi and his team.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Spuddy58
Yaroslavl, Russia
Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

It's was very nice hotel actually ,even if I think it's was some overpriced .for not spoiled people's will be ok ( for example on Bali it's would cost not more then 50$.i paid 110 for cabana room for 1 night on booking com )I would give it better rating but there are things what I didn't liked. the water from shower was extremely slow and it's was hard !! to wash long hair ,take ages ! Take me hour every time I took shower .the towels was smelly ,it's feel like they don't use any soap but just wash them in hot water .anybpw they was clean but every time smell bad .humid.the room was too dark .there not enought light in bathroom and room .realy Realy dark .for this price would be nice to have wi go in the room not only in reception .i think it's all .in general stuff was very nice and helpfull.food in restorant was nice too .but I think price for this hotel should be not more then 70-80$ comparing with my big experience of hotels .near hotel u can buy fruits they have zillion of kinds .rhe walking distance to beach is around 10 min walking or 3 min on taxi (1$).good luck .in general hotel is great for 3 stars ( just not sure why it's have 5 stars rating )I would stay here again if it would be some cheaper .

• Stayed March 2014