All reviews coco bay private beach pillow menu aqua romance room galle fort privilege suite la mer the half board option sri lanka tuk tuk jacuzzi bath fabulous hotel breakfast is served our honeymoon peace pagoda small hotel overlooking the sea
Selected filters
Reviewed August 14, 2019 via mobile

We knew it was out of season when we planned to stay here for the last few days of our 3 week trip around Sri Lanka but this was supposed to be the luxury bit of our holiday and we thought that with the Spa/ yoga + the great food we’d read about, we’d be happy even if it rained. Sadly we discovered there is no spa just. a male masseur who comes to your room (which we didn’t fancy for our daughters), a v small gym and the restaurant was over priced, lacking in atmosphere and not half as good as several in town.
On the positive side, the small, private beach is lovely and well maintained; the staff are all incredibly friendly and you are even assigned your own personal room butler who carves up your choice of handmade soap when you arrive. They also made a lovely fuss of our daughter for her birthday with balloons on her door and Happy Birthday written on her bed in flowers. However the hotel never quite delivers as the luxury boutique experience it claims to be.

Date of stay: August 2019
Trip type: Traveled with family
Vinodh d, Owner at CoCoBay Unawatuna, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2019

We are sorry your experience did not live up to expectations. We are glad you enjoyed the beach and the level of service. We are a small 16 roomed boutique resort and the small gym is sufficient for our guests. We offer Yoga with a experienced instructor and in room or on the beach herbal massage to our guests only. We do not have a SPA but offer a variety of other activities.
We hope you will try us again on your next visit and wish you all a warm welcome back.

Reviewed July 27, 2019 via mobile

This is a lovely quaint smal beachside property. Though we visited in off season we had a great stay. The staff is too good and very helpful . The sit out next to the pool was very relaxing. The restaurant La Mer in the hotel was simply divine. The food was lip smacking and very well presented this was the highlight of the hotel. It’s very close to Galle so therefore we stayed here and also unawatuna beach. The F n B manager was so involved with the hotel was really great to see that.

Trip type: Traveled with family
Vinodh d, Owner at CoCoBay Unawatuna, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2019

Greetings from COCO BAY and thank you for your encouraging review which is sincerely appreciated.
We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and wish you a warm welcome back.

Reviewed July 22, 2019 via mobile

We stayed here for 5 nights at the end of our Sri Lankan holiday. The weather had packed up and it was stormy for most of our stay but we had a lovely time all the same - which just indicates what a quality place this is.
We stayed in a large room with jacuzzi- there was a nice balcony, good air con and nice extras like choosing a scented soap that we liked for our stay - also a welcome fruit basket.
We loved the daily yoga classes - the instructor was very experienced and I learned a lot. Sometimes the classes were on the rooftop deck facing the sea which was lovely.
The hotel has a masseuse named Vidura who offers massage in your room with a portable table. He was excellent and I really enjoyed the 2 massages I had. He uses high quality oils from Spa Ceylon.
We opted for the half-board option which was excellent- see our separate review about the restaurant La Mer.
The hotel staff are very friendly and helpful - they gave us great ideas for day trips and were happy to organize options for us.
We went to Galle Fort quite a few days for lunch - it’s a quick tuk tuk ride away.
We thoroughly recommend this hotel for a relaxed and welcoming stay.

Reviewed July 15, 2019 via mobile

Second time there and it seemed to have got better with time.
9 rooms, group of 18.. We were treated like royalty, airport pick up to dinner arrangements... I felt blessed to have suggested the place to my friends and family.

Dinesha... Thank you for everything.
I will be back.. Someday

Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank rajneshv2015
Vinodh d, Owner at CoCoBay Unawatuna, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2019

Thank you for your wonderful review which is sincerely appreciated by all the staff. It was our pleasure to have hosted you again and we hope you enjoyed your birthday celebration. Thank you also for introducing the resort to your friends and we look forward with much anticipation to welcoming you all back to the COCO BAY.

Reviewed July 6, 2019

Idyllic.
Absolutely perfect!
Set in a quiet cove with a private beach, palm trees swaying in the sea breeze, with a cocktail in hand . . I thought I had gone to heaven!
The room with 'plunge pool' was spacious, nicely decorated, with really comfy bed, (very important). A significant patio with table & chairs and day bed, or evening bed for relaxation after a quick plunge in the pool. They do suggest for Honeymooners, but, don't let that put you off. I went with a girlfriend and asked for an extra bed, simple.
The staff - nothing less than excellent, so attentive, polite, friendly, more than willing to give you any information if you want, or will leave you alone if you don't ask.
Food was glorious, breakfast you could have full english, healthy option, Sri lankan - (a must-try at least once) + other options. If not up for the full curry breakfast then ask for 'egg hoppers' to go with whatever, but give them 24 hours notice as the special batter needs to sit.
Dinner dishes: Sri Lankan Curry is a must, but everything is excellent. Had Marlin fish, Jumbo Prawns (really are Jumbo), pizza, their lobster thermador was the best I have ever had. Not cheap, I had 500gms but with 5 smaller lobsters, there was so much meat. Far better that a large one where the weight is in the head and you get little meat.
This fabulous hotel also offers massages, what can I say, other than Vidura is a brilliant masseaur, I had 5 massages, full body, head and face, absolutely brilliant, again one of the best masseurs I have come across and I belong to a 'posh gym', also have had massages all around the world, he is definitely a MUST if you want a massage.
I think the simplest way to tell you what I think is in that I initially booked 5 nights, 3 nights then safari for 3 nights, then back for 2 nights, then off elsewhere . . . . decided to stay down south and booked another 6 nights at Coco bay. If that is not a recommendation then nothing is!!

Room tip: All rooms have sea view, plunge pool on ground, balconies on 1st & 2nd floor Balcony Jacuzzi on 2nd floor
Date of stay: June 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Vinodh d, Owner at CoCoBay Unawatuna, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2019

Wow !!! What can we say ? Thank you so very much for your amazing review. All the staff were so happy to have hosted you both and join me in sending our best wishes.
Your detailed review gives us so much inspiration at a difficult time and will certainly motivate us to give of our best.
You are so welcome to visit us again and we look forward with much anticipation to seeing you both at the COCO BAY.