“New upscale mini-resort between Galle and Unawatuna”
Review of CoCo Bay Unawatuna

CoCo Bay Unawatuna
Ranked #2 of 32 Hotels in Unawatuna
Singapore, Singapore
“New upscale mini-resort between Galle and Unawatuna”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Kicked off a coastal Sri Lankan holiday with a three-night stay at this new resort situated between Galle and Unawatuna. Not the prettiest strip of beach around, but a mini-resort well designed for relaxation within easy reach of all the area’s highlights. Good service, tasty (but pricey) food, large rooms. Only quirk was that the metal grilles on the façade vibrate noisily in high winds – hopefully this design flaw will be remedied sooner rather than later. Many thanks to the staff for arranging airport pickup at 2AM.

Room Tip: Skip the rooms with ‘private’ pool access and go for the upper-floor options.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank MRF_Singapore

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Bath
Reviewed April 26, 2013

We were really pleasantly surprised with coco bay. Lovely reception from friendly efficient staff, clean well equipped room, lovely clean beach, small pool but the sea was so nice we had no need for that anyway. Downside? Food a bit hit and miss ..also a bit pricey for what is on offer.
Would definitely stay again!

Dubai
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We stayed for three nights. I booked before the hotel had opened so was a little concerned about what it would be like but I was very pleased with what we got. The comments made below are made in the hope the management can improve on these things to make the hotel excellent rather than just good, bearing in mind it has only been open for four months. They are in not meant to be negative we really enjoyed our stay.

Rooms: My husband loved the room and having the facility for me to be outside while he was inside as he stays out of the sun. I would have preferred there to be two loungers on the terrace not just one as the two loungers that were beside our pool were only accessible by either exiting the main room door and walking around through the lobby or by plunging into the pool and climbing out the other side. There are no steps to get out the other side and I was able to use upper body strength to climb out but I did see the older couple in the room next door struggling to do this. If two loungers were provided on the terrace, or a walkway/bridge across the pool this would solve this problem.

We had the aqua romance room with a pool outside. We actually wished we had booked a room without a pool on the first floor above the restaurant. The area to the left where the aqua romance rooms are does not have a great view due to a big fence. Although there are gaps so you can see through it is very ugly and right in front of the most expensive rooms. Why can this not be removed I do not know, there is no fence across the right side where the restaurant and main lounger area is so it can not be for security to keep people out. As a result it makes the AR (Aqua Romance) rooms more like a garden view than a sea view. We though that the first floor rooms on the rights side above the restaurant would have had the best view although the first floor rooms on the left side would not have been hampered as much by the fence.

My major issue with the AR room was privacy. I was expecting it to be semi private - I knew that the pool was joined to the other AR room pools and I was expecting other guests to be able to see us and our terrace however I was not expecting how much the staff would impede on privacy. The pool attendant uses the AR pool as a walkway back and forward so if you are in the pool or on the terrace he will walk past a LOT. I mean at least once every ten minutes cleaning the pool or going to get something. The clean towels were just kept stacked on a lounger at the front of the AR rooms meaning he had to walk past to get one every time. Why can he not be given a desk/hut from which he can dispense the towels and sit beside the main pool? Could he also be told that if someone is on the terrace or in the pool of their AR room he should keep out of their way not go by with his net in the pool. This should be done when the guests are not there. In top hotels staff are told to minimise guest disruption, and this should definitely be the case for the AR rooms as they are meant to be your 'premium' rooms.
The area in front of the AR rooms is the staff territory as there is also a security guard (not quite sure of his job all he seems to do is stand around) positioned by the wheelie bins. Could these bins be moved out of view there is no need for them to be there and they spoil the view? He is always standing there and I felt quite uncomfortable lying in that area infront of the AR rooms with him and the pool attendant constantly standing beside you or walking around. I really, really think the staff should be told that if guests are using their outdoor area outside the AR rooms then the staff should keep out of their way as there is no reason for them to be there. At times I felt like shouting 'can you just move out of the way of my view and let me have some peace!' And I often wished I had a first floor room.

Food and drink:
The food here is average. The only thing we had where we said 'yum that was delicious' were the pizzas. There should be a sri lankan section on the menu.
There is a bizarre two tier cocktail menu in place. In your room you will see a happy hour cocktail menu. On the first night we went for happy hour in the bar/restaurant and were told this was only for in room and we were given a different list for the bar that was more expensive. Surely it is more hassle to serve drinks to rooms and these should be the more expensive? Then during the day there is no cocktail menu, I had to beg to get a cocktail even though it was not happy hour and I was willing to pay full price for it. Easily solved - there should be one cocktail menu showing full price that are available any time. There should be a happy hour price beside it and these happy hour drinks should be available in the bar and the rooms.

We took a tuk tuk to Jungle beach which the hotel paid for. This is a lovely pretty beach but is very small and very over crowded with wooden sunbeds and only the shade of the trees.

FYI We tried to pay in dollars at the end of the stay and were told there would be a 5% charge to do so.

All in all I would definitely recommend this hotel. Please go, it is on a lovely private beach, a five minute tuk tuk ride into Unawatuna for restaurants and drinks on the beach and the view from breakfast is amazing.

As it stands I do not believe the AR rooms are worth the extra money. They need to improve the way they are treated or start charging the same as the other rooms.

Notes for management for improvement:
*staff should be told to keep out of the way of the AR rooms and pool if guests are using their outdoor area
*improve the garden/ beach area directly in front of the AR rooms - remove the fence, remove the bins, remove the men standing around
*improve the quality of the food - add some sri lankan dishes
*change your crazy cocktail rules

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank agathaDubai
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I'm sitting outside our Aqua Romance Room (although when travelling with a nine month old, it should just be called an Aqua Room) after a week at Coco Bay.

At the time of writing, this hotel holds the number one spot in the area on Trip Advisor. Before booking, I was a little skeptical of the glowing reviews. However, within an hour of arriving, we realised the top spot was warranted.

Having visited Sri Lanka regularly over the last ten years, I've stayed everywhere from spit & sawdust dives to private boutique villas and I have to say, for what we were looking for, Coco Bay beat them all.

First of all, the hotel itself is a small place with big ideas. The owners obviously understand what make successful luxury hotels so desirable...

• Attentive, friendly staff
• Beautiful rooms
• Spacious bathrooms with great fittings
• Private, secure grounds
• Free, fast WIFI throughout the hotel
• Great location (between Unawatuna and Galle)

There were other personal touches that were fantastic. We arrived well before check-in and were given a full, complimentary breakfast and access to our room. The same courtesy was shown to us on leaving, with a four-hour late check-out, free of charge. We were provided with a proper wooden baby cot in our room, rather than the bog-standard travel cots provided by most hotels.

To address some of the issues I've read on Trip Advisor, the main road is close but you'd never know when your in the resort. You can't hear or see the traffic. The beach is clean and the sea is clear, however the (gentle) waves churn-up the soft sand, giving the water a cloudy appearance near the break. The river inlet is right beside the hotel but isn't polluted. It looks brown for the same reason the sea does.

The food is what I'd call Sri-Lanka-good. We came from Dubai, where gluttonous, gastronomic excesses would make Henry VIII blush. Coco Bay isn't quite there yet but, again, compared to most places I've stayed before in Sri Lanka, they are very good. The chef will often pop out for a chat and special, off-menu requests are catered for with pleasure. The breakfast is plentiful and really excellent. You won't leave the table hungry. The lunch/dinner menus offer great pizzas, pastas and sandwiches as well as plenty of local fare and, of course, sea food. There's a happy hour from 5.30-7.30pm daily with tropical cocktails which, having sampled rather too regularly, I can highly recommend. We opted for bed & breakfast but ended up eating at Coco Bay every night. Candlelit tables are set on the sand for everyone, surrounded by lanterns. It really is beautiful. We even had a guy playing flute on the last night, who is apparently a regular feature. It's worth the airfare alone to hear him rattle-off a few Abba hits!

In the immediate area there's plenty to do to kill a few days if you get bored of relaxing and being pampered. Just outside the hotel gate is a road going uphill through the trees. Spend an hour heading up there (don't forget water, although there is the occasional small shop selling drinks and food) and you'll be rewarded with monitor lizards, monkeys, tropical birds, chameleons and some amazing views of Galle, Jungle Beach and out to sea.

The hotel offers a shuttle service via boat to Jungle Beach if you don't fancy the walk. It's a picturesque spot but sadly the snorkelling is pretty rubbish and there's quite a bit of detritus in the sea.

A 300slr tuktuk ride will get you to Unawatuna's gorgeous bay. Loads of bars/restaurants, gift shops and diving/boat operators. Whilst I've never thought of Unawatuna as hectic or even busy, it can feel that way after the relative serenity of Coco Bay. I couldn't wait to get back to the hotel this time.

400slr by tuktuk in the other direction will take you to the bustling town of Galle. Market stalls, the cricket ground and, of course, the labyrinth of small streets inside the walls of Galle Fort (lined with eateries, trinket shops, museums and plenty of tourist traps) are all well-worth a visit.

There are also a myriad of other activities in the area (whale watching, turtle hatcheries, safaris, etc).

As I said at the start of this post, we stayed in an Aqua Romance room. There are three, all of which share a pool that has dividers, so each section is your own. Staff are readily on hand with beach towels and the pool was cleaned early every morning. The hotel also has a main pool right in front of the open-plan restaurant. We never used it as we had the one with out room but its a decent enough size for lengths and has a section for kids. We had a look at the other rooms and the suites. All very nice. The upper floor affords better views but personally I'd still go for the ground floor Aqua Romance rooms for the private pool.

We are already planning our next stay at Coco Bay in August and, after showing them around via Skype (free WIFI, remember), will even be flying both sets of parents out from the UK, too.

Can't wait!

3 Thank TheRadioBloke
New Braunfels, Texas
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Coco Bay is a small beach resort (only 12 rooms) located 3 hours from the airport (via the new expressway) and only a 10 minute tuk tuk ride from Galle Fort. It is situated on a small private piece of land not far from the main road to Galle (to the north) and Unawatuna Beach (to the south). Its location makes it a solid choice if you want to visit Galle Fort, Unawatuna Beach, Jungle Beach, or for whale-watching at Mirissa. To the immediate north of the resort is a small river which separates Coco Bay from a small fishing village. We enjoyed watching the fisherman each morning as we ate our breakfast on the beach. The 100 meter long beach at Coco Bay was nice. It does not have the tourqoise-blue waters or the golden coral sand of Unawatuna Beach or Mirissa (very nice) but we had it to ourselves (something I cannot say for the other beaches). Its constant crashing surf provided beauty and helped create a relaxed atmosphere. It is a nice beach for body surfing and swimming as the beach slopes very gradually and has a sandy bottom void of all vegetation. There are also distant views of Galle Fort and its lighthouse from the beach and on a clear evening it creates an excellent panoramic sunset. Private tuk tuks await to take you to the other beaches or Galle for 300 Rupees - they will be waiting for you just a block outside of the back gate of Coco Bay.

We stayed 5 nights in the Aqua Romantic Room. This was on the floor level which we liked since we could use the semiprivate pool and walk just a few steps to use the public pool or the beach. The king-sized bed was nice. Coco Bay gives you three choices of pillows, daily fruit baskets, maid service whenever you wants it, and snacks at tea time.

Our fondest memories of Coco Bay are of the evening meals which were included in our fee for the room. My wife and I rarely eat at the hotel on vacations. We prefer to be out and about and experience a variety of restaurants. This was not the case with this vacation. We simply could not find a better place than Coco Bay. Each evening we were treated to wonderful five-coarse meal which included lobster and a bottle of wine (small extra charge). We sat a few steps from the beach under the moonlight. The beach was lit with small torches and Galle Fort could be seen across the bay - very romantic. Service was sensational and it was evident that this was the outstanding feature at Coco Bay.

The Highs and Lows

Highs included: service, private location, views across the bay and of the fishermen, pounding surf (nice to sleep and deadened other noises), the food and drinks (try the Coco Punch!!!), location -easy access to Galle; Coco Bay was a refuge for us when we wanted to be free from the heat, the touts, and the other hardships of travel in Sri Lanka

Lows

There is a nice pool but it is set very close to the eating area; it is more of a large lap pool than one for the kids; the beach - it really depends on what vacation you are looking for; if it is simply a beach vacation that you desire, than Coco Bay may not be your best choice; for us the beach was great

Room Tip: we liked the aqua romance rooms not so much for the "romance" as for the immediate access...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Anthony D
Austin, Texas
Reviewed April 11, 2013

The rooms were very spacious and opened up to an amazing view outside! I liked the recliner on the balcony that made it nice to sit outside and read. The bathrooms were huge and had an interesting window! The service was very friendly and the food was delicious. I was so relaxed afterwards I took an almost two hour nap on the beach!

Room Tip: The romantic suites have a personal hot tub!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is located between Galle and Unawatuna. The location is perfect for families and for the ones looking for peace and tranquility. It takes about 10 minutes to Unawatuna beach by Tuk tuk and cost 200-350 rupees.

La Mer restaurant serves amazing food and service is great. The hotel is on the most expensive side in Unawatuna but definitely worth the money.

The staff is very helpful and will do their best to accomadate your needs.

The rooms are great and they have a pillow and a soap menu. We got fruits and sweets on the house almost every day and the room was cleaned twice a day.

The restaurants& bars and Unawatuna beach are about 10 minutes away. The Unawatuna beach is much nicer with turquise water and beach bars and restaurants but also very crowded.

We would highly recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a luxury getaway in Sri Lanka!

• Stayed April 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Unawatuna
Thaproban Beach House
#1 of 27 in Hikkaduwa
Gloria Grand Hotel
Gloria Grand Hotel
#1 of 32 in Unawatuna

Been to CoCo Bay Unawatuna? Share your experiences!