“Simply the best in Unawatuna”

Unawatuna Diving Centre
Ranked #1 of 14 Tours in Unawatuna
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The official page for UNAWATUNA DIVING CENTRE, PADI 5 Star IDC Dive Resort, Unawatuna and Sri Lanka's premier PADI Resort, S-36133, and your gateway to the excitement and adventure of the underwater world! UNAWATUNA DIVING CENTRE is a fully aoutorized PADI 5 Star IDC Dive Resort located on beautiful Unawatuna Beach, in the Indian Ocean. German ownership, European managed, we conduct all levels of PADI courses from DSD through to Dive Instructor Level and also run snorkel tours.We teach in English and German.As the longest running and most established Diving Centre in the region we offer quality diving courses where safety and PADI standards are always paramount. We also offer fantastic accommodation or very close by at our ROCKSIDE CABANAS HOTEL & RESTAURANT. With friendly and professional staff, UNAWATUNA DIVING CENTRE guarantees you the best time both in and out of the water. At our centre we have a secure private equipment room for divers with their own equipment. All our rental equipment is new, with Scuba Pro regulators and Scuba Pro BCDs that are regularly maintained. Our tanks are filled onsite by trained staff using our Bauer compressor in a clean and designated room wit a well maintained filter system. We pride ourselves on our friendly staff who are always happy to help and answer any questions and our renewed and insured PADI Divemasters and Instructors. With over 16 dive sites all accessible within 20 minutes on one of our five dive boats and with depths ranging from 5m to 30m our beach front dive centre is the place to head to further your education or see the wonders of the underwater world for the first time.
London, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Simply the best in Unawatuna”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Being relative newbies to diving the one thing we were looking for was PADI registered centres to give us comfort. There seem to be a few in Unawatuna that have PADI flags outside but after checking on the PADI site only one is real, this one. There is even a centre next door with a similar name with PADI flags all over the place.....completely shameless!
Anyway we must mention Nick (english dive instructor) and the two sri lankan dive masters who were all great fun and very organised. Tea and biscuits after the dives was all very civilised and there is even a local dog that turns up when the divers get back to sneak a few bikkies away.
We had two dives including a shallow wreck dive and although the vis was not great we enjoyed the whole experience and would recommend.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank LeodisRanger
unawatunadiving, Manager at Unawatuna Diving Centre, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
Hi guys,

Glad you enjoyed your time with us, thanks for your kind words. I've set Hans on to the flags so I'm sure we'll have loads soon but for now still just the two. A little bit sunnier yesterday so the vis is improving ... slowly. Take care and and come back soon!!!!

Nick

• Hungarian first
Southport, United Kingdom
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“An amazing introduction to the underwater world!”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I recently stayed at the Unawatuna diving centre and completed my PADI open water. It was a fantastic experience, the apartments were basic but perfect for us having a great balcony with amazing views in a prime spot on Unawatuna beach. I really enjoyed sitting up there learning the course material. The centre has a school room where you can work through the theory side of the course and we used a local pool to practice the skills in a confined environment.

The manager Nick is an absolute credit to the school, he was really welcoming and friendly and completely put us at ease when we felt panicked or stressed by a task. Everything was explained and we worked at our own pace. He also tailored the course around us, we decided when we wanted to work and when we wanted to dive (within reason of course) and if the visibility wasn't great he would let us know so we could postpone the dive.
We were later told how lucky we were completing the course on such a personal level, in other sites you will be in massive groups and less emphasis is put on enjoying the course. Furthermore it doesnt stop there, i know if i ever need any advice he is a quick message away and have spoken to him since about the best places to dive in Thailand.

All together it was a wonderful experience. We had fun and saw some cool stuff (we dived over a wreck on our second dive!). I would 100% recommend the diving school. Thanks guys!

1 Thank lotty1210
unawatunadiving, Manager at Unawatuna Diving Centre, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
So happy that you had a wonderful time and enjoyed your underwater adventure. The first of many I'm sure!! I'm sticking to the beef free Unawatuna diet so have a burger for me!! Take care.
Malmo, Sweden
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent!”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Did an Open Water course here. Nick is the best instructor ever. He made me feel very safe and I had a lovely time. All the staff are very friendly and I would definitely recomend this place!!!

Charlotte and Thomas

1 Thank CWidin
unawatunadiving, Manager at Unawatuna Diving Centre, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Hi Guys,
I'm so glad that you had a great time here with us and that you enjoyed your dives. Keep it up and keep exploring. You were a top student and still have the prize for the most graceful 10 minute float ever!!!! Lots of love from all the team at Unawatuna Diving Centre
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Professional diving centre with very nice staff and an excellent manager”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed in the apartments above the Unawatuna Diving Centre while we completed our PADI OWD course in October 2012, and I have to say, I'm glad we did it there.

The centre is managed by Nick, an English guy who is very easy going while maintaining a high level of professionalism and he is a great teacher. We spent our first day working through our workbooks and watching DVDs, then did our pool training the next day to get used to the equipment, how to put it together and what each part did, along with the basic skills you need to have to complete the course.

When we went to do our first dive in the sea, my I had a problem equalizing my ears, we tried many times to rectify the problem, but couldn't sort them out. After a while we decided that the best thing was to leave the water, and try and do our dives the next day, which thankfully we managed without a problem.

The problem on our first dive had really upset me, but after chatting to Nick about it, he reassured me that it's very common to happen, and not to worry about it.

We left Unawatuna Diving Centre, very happy of our time and experience there, but sad that it was over. I think one of the best things about this dive centre is the high level of professionalism that is evident throughout, along with the friendly and knowledgeable attitude of the staff and especially Nick

1 Thank planty69
unawatunadiving, Manager at Unawatuna Diving Centre, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Hi guys thanks so much for your lovely review so glad you enjoyed it and had fun. Keep up the diving on your travels. Unawatuna Diving Centre wishes you all the best in your adventure to OZ and beyond!!
London, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“An amazing experience in paradise....”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Walking down the beach in Unawatuna, I was met with a multitude of dive operators to choose from, after talking to many of them I decided to choose Unawatuna Dive school, feeling most comfortable with their safety standards and professional look of the dive school.

From the minute I walked in I was immediately put at ease and met the manger, Nick. He explained answers to all of my questions, and being nervous about 'taking the plunge' he immediately put me at ease. I decided to take my 'PADI licence' with him and it was one of the best decisions I ever made!

First we spend some time in the classroom and then the swimming pool, at this point I completely panicked and almost backed out of the course. Nick was so patient and kind and completely reassured me. I'm not sure how he put up with me!!

The first time he took me in the ocean, I was shaking and so scared, but he was so charming and reassuring that I completed all 4 dives! I am now a diver for life!

The dive school's happy, fun atmosphere made me feel one of the family, if only for 4 days! I can't give enough praise to all the staff, especially Nick. He is a very special instructor and if it wasn't for him I would never have passed the course. His unrelenting patience, smiles and jokes were so much fun to be around, and the high safety standards, good quality equipment and detailed briefings made me feel safe at all times.

Visiting this dive school on my trip to Sri Lanka was the highlight of my trip, I would like to say a huge thank you to Nick and the team. I can't recommend them enough!!

1 Thank Vikki_roberts
Hi Victoria, so glad that you had an amazing experience with us and really hope to see you again soon. You were a great student and Unawatuna Diving Centre wishes you all the best and we're sure you'll go far in your PADI adventures. Hopefully see you back here in March!!!