“dissapointing”
Review of Happy Banana

Happy Banana
Ranked #107 of 150 Unawatuna B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 10, 2014

We Booked here for 3 nights de luxe room with airco, the rooms are not clean, TV not working, airco working a little, bathroom dirty, during 3 nights stay, no cleaning, no towels, staff are rude and ask for money, but the sound is the biggest problemen, on Friday disco and drunk locales till 04:00 in the morning same on Saturday dont go here, we payed euro 50 per nicht, a waste of money and way too much for an unsafe dirty drunk local place

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Pieter V

Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

Really nice jewel in the middle of una.stayed only one night since booking was not available. Staff were courteous nd accommodating to our requests. Rooms in the rear side of the hotel are way quieter.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

We had booked four nights with our 2 kids. Our standard room without AC quickly got too hot, and also it was very dirty, the room only had cold water, etc.
Therefor we payed extra money to upgrade to a better room which was nicer, but not really worth the money.
The really annoying thing was that there was this megaparty at the hotel (Friday nights) with really loud music, making it impossible to sleep before 3 am.
Also staff was quite lazy and slow.

Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

I went to Unawatuna with 4 friends without a reservation and decided on Happy Banana because of the price we were offered, and because the restaurant has a great view of the ocean. We really enjoyed our stay, however I would like to comment on a few points that other people have raised.

Right now, there is no beach outside the hotel and the water comes up to the restaurant. This happens for about 4 months per year due to tidal changes. The beach will be back in about 2 months. My friends and I walked 100m up the road and swam there- it was great. It meant that the restaurant had an even better view!!

A few people mentioned that they don't take credit cards- this must have been rectified as we were all able to pay by card (no Amex though).

The rooms were quite light at night (as a few people have mentioned). The hotel does need to address this and offer a way to turn the outside fluorescent lights off.

The AC in my room worked well, but was quite noisy, as was the fan. This would be my only real complaint about the hotel- I really enjoyed staying here otherwise.

Breakfast was not included in our room rate but was about $6 and was great (fruit, tea, omelette, toast etc). The staff were friendly but the lady who checked us in spoke the best English of everyone there and was very helpful! We really enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Being a Sri Lankan my family and I go down south quite often. and the experience I had at Happy Banana was really bad. The hotel staff were really rude, and didnt actually know how to speak to a guest. The Manager and the girl who over looks the place was extremly rude to us and they counldnt give us a room till 1.
the beach is not there any more. if your going for the beach this is deffinetely not the place to be. The rooms were really uncleaned. We had three rooms booked and all three of them had cockroaches. A/cs didnt work. Beddings were very dirty with lot of stains. Due to these reasons we immediately shifted to the next door hotel.
As a Sri Lankan Im very dissapointed to say that this hotel standards are really low.

P.S : Try Full Moon Hotel which is next door.

Room Tip: I wouldnt recommend this hotel to anyone.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I just returned from a long weekend at the Happy Banana. This was my first visit to Sri Lanka and I went as part of a group trip (through Escape Travels). Since I don't know the actual cost of the room I can't say if it was a good deal for the price. But it was a very basic stay. We arrived and were able to check in very easily. The room was basic, bed, mosquito netting (with some holes) and bathroom. I had room #9 which is upstairs facing the street (which was good because I couldn't hear the VERY loud beach party on Friday night). The A/C didn't really work, but the overhead ceiling fan was enough to keep me cool while sleeping. My bedding was unclean (dried blood on one of the pillows and small black hairs on the sheet), which was not okay. The staff was friendly and helpful. My room included breakfast which was 4 pieces of homemade toasted white bread, eggs and a fruit plate. It was good but the service was SLOW. Not sure if I'd stay here again if I had the chance.

Room Tip: Room #9 is a good location if staying over Friday evening as the Friday night party is very loud. So...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 9, 2013

That was the worst experience while staying in Sri Lanka.
Since we couldn't check in till 1 we decided to wait on the beach. We waited for about 40 minutes for somebody to get us an umbrella for the sun bed. What is worth we couldn't get at least one towel from the hotel till we checked in.
The room looked nice at first glance. At night that impression was changed. The fluorescent light was shining right in our faces almost all night. Aircon didn't seem to work at all and the lamp that was on my left side fell off the wall in the middle of the night. Isn't that enough to get a bad impression??
For those who is still planning on staying at this place, make sure you take enough cash to pay for your rooms since the hotel doesn't accept credit cards.

Room Tip: Don't stay at this hotel
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple