“Terrible experience”

Ranked #104 of 145 Unawatuna B&B and Inns
Colombo, Sri Lanka
“Terrible experience”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Being a Sri Lankan my family and I go down south quite often. and the experience I had at Happy Banana was really bad. The hotel staff were really rude, and didnt actually know how to speak to a guest. The Manager and the girl who over looks the place was extremly rude to us and they counldnt give us a room till 1.
the beach is not there any more. if your going for the beach this is deffinetely not the place to be. The rooms were really uncleaned. We had three rooms booked and all three of them had cockroaches. A/cs didnt work. Beddings were very dirty with lot of stains. Due to these reasons we immediately shifted to the next door hotel.
As a Sri Lankan Im very dissapointed to say that this hotel standards are really low.

P.S : Try Full Moon Hotel which is next door.

Room Tip: I wouldnt recommend this hotel to anyone.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I just returned from a long weekend at the Happy Banana. This was my first visit to Sri Lanka and I went as part of a group trip (through Escape Travels). Since I don't know the actual cost of the room I can't say if it was a good deal for the price. But it was a very basic stay. We arrived and were able to check in very easily. The room was basic, bed, mosquito netting (with some holes) and bathroom. I had room #9 which is upstairs facing the street (which was good because I couldn't hear the VERY loud beach party on Friday night). The A/C didn't really work, but the overhead ceiling fan was enough to keep me cool while sleeping. My bedding was unclean (dried blood on one of the pillows and small black hairs on the sheet), which was not okay. The staff was friendly and helpful. My room included breakfast which was 4 pieces of homemade toasted white bread, eggs and a fruit plate. It was good but the service was SLOW. Not sure if I'd stay here again if I had the chance.

Room Tip: Room #9 is a good location if staying over Friday evening as the Friday night party is very loud. So...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
El Salvador
Reviewed January 9, 2013

That was the worst experience while staying in Sri Lanka.
Since we couldn't check in till 1 we decided to wait on the beach. We waited for about 40 minutes for somebody to get us an umbrella for the sun bed. What is worth we couldn't get at least one towel from the hotel till we checked in.
The room looked nice at first glance. At night that impression was changed. The fluorescent light was shining right in our faces almost all night. Aircon didn't seem to work at all and the lamp that was on my left side fell off the wall in the middle of the night. Isn't that enough to get a bad impression??
For those who is still planning on staying at this place, make sure you take enough cash to pay for your rooms since the hotel doesn't accept credit cards.

Room Tip: Don't stay at this hotel
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Unawatuna hotels

San Salvador, El Salvador
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Despite reading some bad reviews about Happy Banana we decided to give it a chance. How dumb can one be??
We arrived at 10am and couldn't check in till 1 which is understandable but they didn't have enough towels to give us one until we checked in. Seriously, are there just enough towels for 1 guest each? Kudos to one staff member who not only went out of his way to find a sun umbrella from another hotel for our sun bed and to explain the situation to us. It was a bit of a surprise to find out that I could not use card to pay for the 4 booked nights there after I had made a deposit with card two months ahead of time. Good thing I asked...
The room seemed pretty nice at first even if it was a bit musty smelling but the deficiencies showed up in the evening. The aircon did not pump any cold air out at all even though it was set to 16 degrees. The room we had was situated right beside the stairs to the second floor which had a nice fluorescent light shining into our room right on the bed. To top it all off the one light fixture in the room that was working fell off the wall in the middle of the night. I don't know what the other rooms are like but avoid room #2 if you decide to book.
I have no idea about the food because breakfast was not included and after the room situation I was not inclined to spend any more money there.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Happy Banana is probably the most popular restaurant on the unawatuna beach, serving just about anything. Has great character and a very loyal clientele. I have being here a few times for lunch and its always being a fun place to hang out. Though the prices tend to be a little high for this type of restaurant, also orders can get delayed on public holidays due to crowds. But its a great place to relax. Very safe to park your car and also once had a dropped phone kept safe by a waiter. So overall I have had a great experience here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends