“Amusing ” 1 of 5 bubbles

Dream House
Ranked #43 of 97 Restaurants in Unawatuna
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Guesthouse
london
“Amusing ”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

On first impression we were really excited. The courtyard is very cute and beautifully lit. The menu is mouth watering and very different to the beach restaurants in Unawatuna with proper classic Italian pasta, meat and fish dishes. We decided on a range of antipasti and a chicken and fish dish. Disappointingly to find out that none were available. The fish dish I ordered wasn't what appeared with a totally different type of fish and different vsauce arriving. Mums chicken was pretty much inedible with very odd sinewy cuts of chicken although in a nice sauce. The waiter had the audacity to argue with me when I asked for a third time if I could have the sauce ordered and continued to vibe us out when he realised we weren't happy. The salad was soggy to the point of amusement. Needless to stay we will not be returning which is a shame as on paper and first impression it looks like a real gem.

1 Thank lindalazer

“Decent italian food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

The food here was really yummy - good quality pasta and sauces which was a nice change in Sri Lanka! Very nice bread. The service was not anything to write home about - on one night, the hotel seemed packed with tables reserved for the extended family! Would recommend they increase their wine selection for a better experience.

Visited December 2013
Petaling Jaya, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Authentic Italian restaurant with peaceful atmosphere.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

We were greeted by very welcoming and attentive staff and were seated at a table in their lovely garden. The restaurant has a very calm atmosphere and tasteful decorations. The food is as authentic Italian as you can hope for in this part of the world. During my last 5 years in Southeast Asia I have not found better Italian restaurants - and I kept searching! If you need a break from rice & curry, you'll be happu here.

• Visited December 2013
Cape Town
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lovely peaceful setting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

Disagree with previous post. Have just had very good pasta at the Dream House. Reasonably priced in lovely setting. Rather nice to be away from the bustle at the seafront and quite romantic.

• Visited April 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Should be dropped from the next edition of Lonely Planet”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

We went here based on reviews from here & the Lonely Planet recommendation (it is evident that this book was last published almost 3 years ago!). The food didn't really seem that authentic, however I do remember the bill being quite overpriced for what we ate (2 pasta mains, 2 desserts, 1 wine & 1 beer was over 4,000 LKR!).

I had the avocado pasta & it made me feel quite sick. I can make a better tiramisu myself (granted, the recipe is from an my friend's Italian grandma - but surely authentic Italian food should taste as good?!)

When we arrived, despite there only being 3 other tables in, it took a while for us to be acknowledged & served.

Overall, I think the place is quite overrated & I definitely wouldn't return. There are other places to eat in Unawatuna which are better value & which serve better quality food.

• Visited March 2013