“Fun, Easy & Yummy”

Karuna s Cooking Class @ Sonja's Healthfood Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 5 Food & Drink in Unawatuna
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Karuna is lovely! It starts at 11am and goes until around 2.30-3pm. You go to the market to buy the ingredients. Be cautious of the spice man - he is expensive and will try to get you to buy. We cooked 7 dishes - dahl, 4 curries, green herb coconut salad and rice. We paid 3000 rup per person.

1  Thank Pana76
"fresh spices"
"fruit market"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

Karuna had not her day I guess. She was not cheerful as the reviews said. Just lucky only another girl and I did join. We got more private class. First to green market in Galle, spice shop and fish shop. We may choose the veggie we want to have for the curries so it is tailor made. Also the spiciness.
Unfortunately karuna did not tell much in market as I used to with market visit just choosing veggies.
Due to tailor made ingredients no recipe handed out. Notebook is available.
Sri Lankan cuisine is not very fine cooking. Cooked too quickly. For some veggie is okay but the fish could be used fried garlic and shallots instead of just throwing everything in one pot.
I may use her pan to bring leftover back for my bf.
there is no new skills learned since no fine cuisine.
It is good to learn making curries but don't expect much from market visit.
Good luck.

1  Thank LissaDjatmiko
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Highly recommended. Karuna looked after us (2 adults and 2 children) fantastically well during our four hours with her. She has a wealth of knowledge and patience too. She is genuine and is great fun to be with. A lovely way to learn more about Sri Lanka away from the hotels and shopping. Thank you so much for lovely memories and tasty recipes!

Reviewed October 12, 2013

I had a lovely day with Karuna. I followed her around the fresh market while she purchased quality ingredients for our deviled curry dishes. I was able to ask her about various items I saw and she asked us about my preferences for each dish we planned to prepare. Karuna is very generous in the quantity for each dish.There was so much food we not only enjoyed some of our delicious dishes at her house, she offered packed up the remainder for us to take away. Beware of the spice market Karuna goes to because you are not obliged to buy anything. The spices are quite expensive, and Karuna doesn't warn or provide guidance on buying the spices. One can buy these spices at a supermarket in Columbo.

Overall; Karuna is lovely teacher, the market was great, the food was authentic and I had a great time and will be impressing my friends back home with a Sri Lankan night in!

See more reviews
Reviewed October 6, 2013

A very friendly and enjoyable class starting with a trip to the vibrant vegetable, spice and fish markets. We learnt to make coconut cream and coconut milk from scratch along with dahl, fish curry, Beetroot curry, pumpkin curry, Aubergine curry, ocra and rice. We then enjoyed our creations afterwards. Highly recommend.