“lovely spicy curries”

Karuna s Cooking Class @ Sonja's Healthfood Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 5 Food & Drink in Unawatuna
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I learned a lot from Karuna in her cooking class. After a fun trip to the market in Galle she showed us how to make five different curries which turned out to be quite easy to make. After making all the curries we had a lovely dinner and were able to try them all. Karuna is a really nice person, she is very patient and she's laughing all the time!

Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

What a great day spent with Karuna. Laughing an learning. Enjoyed going to market with her and learning from her. Then enjoyed the best curry I have had in Sri Lanka which I had helped make. The lack of a recipe book to take away was a shame, but didn't spoil the day. I enjoyed it immensely. Truth is its more a cookery demonstration than a lesson, but if you love cooking, i am sure you'll learn something.

1  Thank Gavin P
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Fantastic day. I was on my own but did the class with another guy who was travelling on his own. Karuna is lovely and laid back. Start off with a run round the local market, choosing the ingredients for the curries (we did mango, fish, vegetable and potato curries). Then back to the kitchen on the balcony for the cooking. The food was incredibly tasty (although quite spicey!) and you learn a really simple way to cook it all so you can do it at home. Highly recommended!

2  Thank MikeandHannah
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Overall I enjoyed my day we went to the veg/fruit market, spice shop and fish market. Went back to the classroom/kitchen and the cooked a lovely Sri Lankan meal which comprised of a fish and vegetable curries. I did think that this cooking course is a victim of its own success. I got the sense that Karuna was going through the motions to a degree and some things could have been done better. Examples being the produce/ spices could be explained better, printed recipes would be helpful and generally a bit more enthusiasm from the host. I do not want to discourage people from attending this course but I do think people should consider other cooking courses in unawatuna which may be a bit more homely and less commercial in nature.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

We were very lucky to have a Karuna all to ourselves for a private class. We went to Galle market first, nice to see all the fresh ingredients being bought and to ask questions about some of the spices etc. We got back and enjoyed some tea and then began the preparation. The class was very hands on and with the help of Karuna we prepared and cooked 4 curries (pumpkin, green bean, lentil and fresh fish) deville potatoes and rice - a huge feast to enjoy at the end of the class. It was well worth the 3000rs per person, the class lasts about 4 hours. We took notes of the recipes as we went along, so we can't wait to try them out when we get home! Thanks Karuna!