“Idylic hideaway”

Nooit Gedacht Heritage Hotel
Ranked #19 of 33 Hotels in Unawatuna
Reviewed March 20, 2012

I was nicely surprised by the hotel when I arrived. The room was cheap and I expected an average room with average facilities.

The room I had was probably not the best, but it was clean and in a good condition. But I didn't have a view. It was very basic too. It would have been nice to have a radio or TV and tea making facilities. Though it served it's purpose as somewhere to sleep!

The hotel setting was perfect. Sitting by the pool, overlooked by a small forest/mountain with the sound of birds and other wildlife was so relaxing. There are lots of trees and plants and it is a little hideway compared to the average looking run of the mill hotels and guest houses closer to the beach.

Drinking tea on my porch watching a monkey clamber the trees in front of me...lovely.

I am surprised about comments of the staff not being very friendly. I was always greeted with a smile and they always asked how I was an where I had been that day. There are lots of staff working all day, even the ones who didn't speak much English always waved and said hello.

I only had breakfast at the hotel as I wanted to eat out every evening. The breakfast on my first few days was a good experience as they served me personally at the table. Though on my last day they had a buffet instead, I assume this was because more people had arrived. This wasn't a great, there were a lot of flies, though someone was fanning the food in attempt to keep them at bay. Their food was also a little more expensive compared to the many places along the beach. But still a low price.

I had a back massage and a facial when I was there as well. Both of which were very good and a great price. I felt no pressure at any time to have treatments as someone else mentioned.

When I paid for my room an additional 10% service charge was added. This is something I object to in any establishment. Let me decide if the service was good and how much it deserves in tip. Also it concerns me that tip didn't reach all of the staff! Who knows.

I would recommend the hotel and if I am ever in the area again I will stay here, even if another hotel is cheaper.

Only recommendations I have would be TV/Radio in room and tea making facilities.

Room Tip: Ask for one in the newer block overlooking the pool or mountain.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Management response:Responded July 6, 2012

Thank you for your comments.

Reviewed March 13, 2012

Although our booking stated we would have a room with a private veranda with views of the pool, lake or mountain,we had no view at all.We also found the room extremely hot at all times unless the air con was on full blast constantly. The breakfast buffet was covered in flies even though there were plenty of staff around,YUCK. Even budget hotels serve the buffet from trays with a lid. Staff also seem to be pushy,on a rainy day,"come for a beauty treatment," on a sunny day,"try our excursions."
At $80 a night we expected this to be the best hotel of our trip, it was by far the worst. There was no soap provided and no hot water tap, only for the shower. We stayed in far better places on our trip for far less money.
What actually gave the hotel a 2/5 rating was it's beautiful gardens and the hotel building itself,otherwise it would've been 1.
Over priced and poor standard.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank edward c
Reviewed February 16, 2012

We came from a terrible hotel on Unawatuna beach and were happy to enter this quiet hotel. There is a nice garden and a ok pool, and you can hardly hear the buissy road nearby. There are sounds of birds and sometimes you can hear monkeys from the little jungle next to the pool. Staff was very kind and helpful. We only had breakfast, which was average, if you prefere more spicy food. There is a short walk to the beach and to shops and nice restaurants, though it all is based on turism. But we had seven great days there after travelling around in Sri Lanka.

Room Tip: We had a room (45 dubbelt)) in the new block. A nice balcony from where we had a nice view to the li...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Annegrete34
Management response:Responded July 6, 2012

We appreciate your valuable review on our hotel. Thank you and hope to see you again.

Reviewed January 10, 2012

Whilst the room was lovely we were given-in the annex- the hotel itself is in need of some tlc and cleaning, and the staff running the place are unfriendly and un-helpful. The food leaves a lot to be desired and we stayed in much nicer and friendly places in Sri Lanka for a great deal less money. Apart from the young waiter and the head porter, the staff were unfriendly and not helpful. we were disappointed as we stayed for Christmas Eve and Day, no-one even acknowldeged it was. you could stay for cheaper in Unawaturna and get better service. A poor place for the money compared to some much cheaper and superior accomodation around wonderful Sri Lanka.

Reviewed January 10, 2012

The Nooit Gedacht hotel really is a haven of tranquility. It is the first hotel ever where we were given a free room upgrade & where after arriving with chronic toothache the staff had arranged for me to be treated by a local dentist within 2 hours - not bad for a Sunday lunchtime (try doing that in the UK!).
The hotel is ideally placed for a short & interesting walk to Unawatuna beach (the jungle beach walk was too wet) for safe swimming, shops, restaurants & bars etc & also for a tuk tuk ride visit to Galle & Koggala. But the hotel's standard of food was also superb & we still rate the breakfasts as the best of our holiday.
The standard of accommodation was excellent & the staff could not have been more friendly.

Room Tip: We were given a room in one of the new blocks overlooking the lake & spent hours just watching t...
1  Thank midmore123
Management response:Responded July 6, 2012

Thank you for your comments. Hope to see you again.

Reviewed January 10, 2012

Just off the main road and away from the madness of the beach this haven of tranquiity is a delight.Originaly a V.O.C. property.(Dutch East India Co.) Great rooms service and food although be aware that alcohol is not served. 2 pools and large gardens means you are not ever crowded. We had a driver with us and he was well looked after for free during our visit.

Room Tip: The new wing is excelent
1  Thank JRB55
Management response:Responded July 6, 2012

We appreciate your valuable review on our hotel. Thank you & hope to see you again.

Reviewed January 8, 2012

Let me start off by saying my family and I really loved this place and have already recommended it to another friend who is on their way to Sri Lanka next month. Lush gardens, great clean pools (1 just for kids!), large clean rooms and an amazing jungle hill view (we booked the wing at the back of the grounds near the big pool). The resort has been owned by one family for 5 generations and as an American I was over joyed to stay in a place that was built before the USA signed its constitution. It has a lot of history which the owners will gladly tell you if you ask about it. The food was very good, in fact I loved that the kitchen was open for viewing via a window so you can see the chiefs at work. We had a choice to stay at a resort on the beach but after visiting the noisy (but fun) beach during the day for drinks and sites, we determined we made the right choice to get some peace and quiet at night. At the moment they do not serve alcohol but you can buy it at any near shop and bring it with you if you want. They only thing I would caution people against is thinking the health clinic is a kind of romantic spa. It is very basic but at a good price you can get a professional clinical massage. I wish I would have done the yoga which was offered. It looked so relaxing but I was busy chasing my 5 year old around the pool. lol He loved it too. I would recommend this place for families or anyone else looking for peace and relaxation but still wants to be close to the beach night life which is only about 2 minutes and a dollar tuk tuk (taxi) ride away. Oh almost forgot to mention that they arrange wonderful tours of Galle for a great rate. They arranged a van with a professional guide who took us to 4 of the major sites in Galle including the turtle farm, the Peace Pagoda, a cave temple and a river boat tour! If you book with this hotel you can be sure to get personal service that they take pride in. We will be back for sure on our next trip to Sri Lanka.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank BareFootPilot
Management response:Responded July 6, 2012

Thank you for your comments. Hope you will visit us again with your family