“A hidden piece of history ...”

Nooit Gedacht Heritage Hotel
Ranked #17 of 29 Hotels in Unawatuna
Antwerp, Belgium
“A hidden piece of history ...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2011

We spent 2 nights at Nooit Gedacht, not in the newly built rooms which are even more comfortable, but in one of the old wings, because we found them having more authentic character. We particularly loved the historical architecture of this large mansion house set in a large garden full with high trees and flowers, and thus with birds, frogs, lizards and sometimes monkeys (black faced grey langur). We loved the friendly service of the staff and the food is really OK. During 2 weeks in Sri Lanka with did quite some hotels and guesthouses and I can assure that Nooit Gedacht ranks on top when considering value for money. We are experienced and critical Asia travelers (my wife is asian) but trust me: this place is highly recommendable. One tip: if you're traveling in the rainy season don't forget your mosquito spray for the evenings especially if you've a thin skin ...

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Peter D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
Galle, Sri Lanka
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2011

I was looking for a nice place to stay in Unawatuna to celebrate our wedding anniversary with my kids, everything that popped up seemed touristy and busy and then I found this place through the internet and I am glad we went with our instincts and chose this. Pragna and shama were very responsive and helpful right from the moment I spoke to them asking for rooms to till check out. Its a lovely place just across the beach to be chilled out and relaxed and has the warmest staff you can find. Meals including delicious rice and curry and the breakfast was a very good spread with delicious fresh fruits .

The pool was lovely and clean and there is no such thing as too much water around you! It simple road crossing that takes you to the beach where you can find a host of beach resorts with associated restaurants. The rooms were very simple and basic...coloured concrete and air conditioned. The most important thing for me was this was wonderful especially in a beach side accommodation - keeping it clean was simple. The little seating area outside each room was lovely to read and play with my kids.

Access to the hotel is very easy as it is fronting to Galle-Matara main road and access to the hotel premises is through a ancient building which is built way back in year 1735 in the dutch time in sri Lanka and it gives a feeling that you are entering to different world.Appearance, fixtures and fittings have been kept as it is and I could show the ancient architectural behavior to my kids.

Thank yo so much Pragna and your team for making my visit a memorable and pleasurable one.

Overall a perfect place to stay at Unawatuna and great value for money. Thanks..

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Pragna J, Owner at Nooit Gedacht Heritage Hotel, responded to this review, November 15, 2011
Dear Mr. Isurujith,

Thank you very much for taking your time to write a review about us. We are glad you enjoyed the stay & hope you will be back.
Best Regards to you & family,
Pragna.
Saint Die des Vosges, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2011

We spent 3 nights at the Nooitgedacht, in the newly built part. Rooms are large
Colonial architecture is respected, bathroom very modern but a little smelly (guess cannot be avoided in Sri Lanka)

The former Dutch governor's house is magnificent. Nice antiques, a trip back to the XVIIIth century.
We have had the best dinner ever in Sri Lanka, certainly with the highest prices but worth trying. Very good served breakfast.
The staff is very kind and helpful.
The new swimming pool is large and well kept.
The garden is beautiful and also very well kept.
We also had ayurvedic doctor consultation, amazing! and very good quality massages.

It is a very nice and alternative place to stay in Sri Lanka, away from the basic tourist beach resort you can find there. I really recommend it if you have the budget.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2011

There is a (selfish) part of me that does not want to advertise more generally this gem of a place - a place that I have been visiting off and on for the past ten years and recommending to friends. But I can't refuse a request to write a review here from those who have always paid such kind and patient attention to my every whim and request, in a place I have come to think of as a haven in Sri Lanka!
We have just returned from a 10 day stay. I had a full 10-day Ayurveda treatment (I'm slimmer, my painful knee no longer hurts, and I feel - and I'm told look- rejuvenated). My adult son who accompanied me on his first visit here enjoyed the delights of Unawatuna beach and its night life as well as the peace and beauty of Nooit Gedacht, and we both loved our visits around the area. As others have noted Galle Fort is a short tuk tuk ride away, and the beach at the end of a short and interesting stroll - both are stunning.
Unlike many other hotels in Sri Lanka, there is generally no 'hassle' yet the friendly staff are appropriately attentive - for the most part just - and only - when you want them to be. I wrote 'hotel' above because I suppose that is what the 'Ayurvedic Guest House' I knew has become with the new wing, pool and more usual 'spa' treatments (pedicure etc.) now also available.
We were there in the 'off-season', and stayed in the usual 'old' rooms, so much of the old guest house charm was still there - and as long as it remains, we'll be back.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Angi M
Pragna J, Owner at Nooit Gedacht Heritage Hotel, responded to this review, November 2, 2011
Dear Angi,

Thank you sooo much for the review & taking your time to write about us. We wish you good health & happiness & hope you will visit us again soon. From all at Nooit Gedacht!! Pragna
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2011

that was an excellent choice in comparison to other accommodation experiences in Sri Lanka. Very friendly atmosphere, friendly staff, surrounded by beautiful nature, spa with variety of treatments, so if you need to escape from the noise and have a relaxing time go for it:-) In general great place.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank anna c
Dear Anna,

Thanks for writing about us. We wish you both a Happy wedded life & hope you will visit again in the years to come!!
Pragna
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2011

I stayed in this nice quiet place for 3 days. Very nice and friendly people, good rooms and good food. Next time i come to Sri lanka i would like to stay in this hotel for 1 week at least to have a course of aurweda ( i tryed aurweda once - massage with hot oil and liked it very much ) and swimming. You can get to the ocean by little cozy pass , it is warm and comfortable for swimming. Special Thanks to Shyma - she helped me very much, she speaks good english and very helpfull.
Tatiana Dubrovina Russia

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Thank you for the review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us! Hope you will visit again.
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2011

Only 50 m away from the busy Galle–Matara road, Nooit Gedacht is a wonderful haven where peace and serenity prevail. The balcony of our room (in the new wing, built since last we visited) had a wonderful vista overlooking the lush greenery of Herbal Mountain and a lake below covered with lotus flowers. Any stress you may be harbouring will simply melt away in these beautiful surrounds. My husband and I arrived off-season and had the place almost to ourselves, but it is so designed that I think it could never feel too busy. Mind you, it is only a short walk (maybe eight minutes) to the famous Unawatuna Beach where all the action is. In the other direction, the world-heritage Galle Fort is about eight minutes away in a three-wheeler. Nice pool (two, in fact!), lovely people, situated in a beautiful landscape. We'll be back!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ChippedQuill
Thank you for taking time to write a review for us. We appreciate it very much & hope you will come back again.