Nooit Gedacht Heritage Hotel
Gloria Grand Hotel(Unawatuna)(Great Value!)
$23
  • Breakfast included
$69
$51
Agoda.com
All reviewslotus pondunawatuna beachbuffet breakfastsri lankabig gardencolonial houselarge poolstandard roomgalle matara roadmain buildingmodern facilitiestuk tukan upgradeshort walkexotic birdsrice and currybird life
Reviewed November 1, 2011

There is a (selfish) part of me that does not want to advertise more generally this gem of a place - a place that I have been visiting off and on for the past ten years and recommending to friends. But I can't refuse a request to write a review here from those who have always paid such kind and patient attention to my every whim and request, in a place I have come to think of as a haven in Sri Lanka!
We have just returned from a 10 day stay. I had a full 10-day Ayurveda treatment (I'm slimmer, my painful knee no longer hurts, and I feel - and I'm told look- rejuvenated). My adult son who accompanied me on his first visit here enjoyed the delights of Unawatuna beach and its night life as well as the peace and beauty of Nooit Gedacht, and we both loved our visits around the area. As others have noted Galle Fort is a short tuk tuk ride away, and the beach at the end of a short and interesting stroll - both are stunning.
Unlike many other hotels in Sri Lanka, there is generally no 'hassle' yet the friendly staff are appropriately attentive - for the most part just - and only - when you want them to be. I wrote 'hotel' above because I suppose that is what the 'Ayurvedic Guest House' I knew has become with the new wing, pool and more usual 'spa' treatments (pedicure etc.) now also available.
We were there in the 'off-season', and stayed in the usual 'old' rooms, so much of the old guest house charm was still there - and as long as it remains, we'll be back.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Angi M
Pragna J, Owner at Nooit Gedacht Heritage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2011

Dear Angi,

Thank you sooo much for the review & taking your time to write about us. We wish you good health & happiness & hope you will visit us again soon. From all at Nooit Gedacht!! Pragna

Reviewed October 27, 2011

that was an excellent choice in comparison to other accommodation experiences in Sri Lanka. Very friendly atmosphere, friendly staff, surrounded by beautiful nature, spa with variety of treatments, so if you need to escape from the noise and have a relaxing time go for it:-) In general great place.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank anna c

Dear Anna,

Thanks for writing about us. We wish you both a Happy wedded life & hope you will visit again in the years to come!!
Pragna

Reviewed October 17, 2011

I stayed in this nice quiet place for 3 days. Very nice and friendly people, good rooms and good food. Next time i come to Sri lanka i would like to stay in this hotel for 1 week at least to have a course of aurweda ( i tryed aurweda once - massage with hot oil and liked it very much ) and swimming. You can get to the ocean by little cozy pass , it is warm and comfortable for swimming. Special Thanks to Shyma - she helped me very much, she speaks good english and very helpfull.
Tatiana Dubrovina Russia

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo

Thank you for the review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us! Hope you will visit again.

Reviewed October 16, 2011

Only 50 m away from the busy Galle–Matara road, Nooit Gedacht is a wonderful haven where peace and serenity prevail. The balcony of our room (in the new wing, built since last we visited) had a wonderful vista overlooking the lush greenery of Herbal Mountain and a lake below covered with lotus flowers. Any stress you may be harbouring will simply melt away in these beautiful surrounds. My husband and I arrived off-season and had the place almost to ourselves, but it is so designed that I think it could never feel too busy. Mind you, it is only a short walk (maybe eight minutes) to the famous Unawatuna Beach where all the action is. In the other direction, the world-heritage Galle Fort is about eight minutes away in a three-wheeler. Nice pool (two, in fact!), lovely people, situated in a beautiful landscape. We'll be back!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ChippedQuill

Thank you for taking time to write a review for us. We appreciate it very much & hope you will come back again.

Reviewed September 24, 2011

We turned up at Nooit Gedacht not quite sure how long we were going to stay for - and ended up staying until the end of our holiday. I think we were possibly lucky to be there during the quiet season, but we had the place almost to ourselves, and the manager, the owners and their dogs, were all wonderful. It is a quiet place so bring a good book and relax.

The old colonial building was nice and the room was cosy (we went for the basic room which was absolutely fine, although the new rooms in the new block did look great). We did look at several other hotels around Unawatuna, and they all seemed to be similarly priced but none came even close to the Nooit Gedacht in terms of value. The pool looks over a green mountain, and the beach is a 10 minute walk away which was a nice walk taking you past shops and restaurants.

All in all, we had a wonderful stay in this gorgeous heritage guest house.

Room Tip: We stayed in the basic old rooms, and didn't feel that the new rooms were worth the extra money. That said, they will be happy to show you all the rooms and let you chose. The heritage colonial suite is perfect for families.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple