Blue Sky Beach Resort
Gloria Grand Hotel(Unawatuna)(Great Value!)
$54
  • Restaurant
$80
$65
  • Breakfast included
Nooit Gedacht Heritage Hotel(Unawatuna)(Great Value!)
$34
$33
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsocean viewthe ownerbig bedsri lankaa minute tuk tuk ridefirst floorbalconybeachwavesbrothersguesthousenets
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 2, 2013

My wife and I stayed 5 nights at BlueSky this week. The staff are extremely helpful and friendly, and the location couldn't be better: 5-10 mins from Unawatuna, 20 mins from Galle, 30 mins from Mirissa. The views are stunning, and whilst it is not deluxe, it is excellent VFM. A beer on the balcony at sunset, followed by a walk along the beach to Vijay's for dinner - unforgettable!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NickGill2013
Reviewed September 15, 2013

This is a lovely place! The room was really well furnished, the bathroom excellent, very modern and well finished to a very high standard. Plumbing was excellent! Everything works like a dream. The location is lovely, with magnificent views of the fine beach. It's not really ideal for swimming just outside the hotel, but you can walk for five minutes and find a good place.
The hotel is situated on a busy road, but I wasn't disturbed by the traffic at all. This is probably because the windows and door fitted well, and offered some soundproofing (unlike many other hotels!). My room faced the side, and didn't have a private balcony as such, but within five or six metres of my room was a pleasant, sea facing sitting area.
Breakfast was good, and served in the lovely downstairs restaurant area.
Everywhere was spotlessly clean.
Vimal was running the place, and is a very nice man. Friendly, helpful and good company.
Unfortunately during my stay, during the quiet season, the restaurant was not open for lunch or evening meals. There is a good restaurant nearby, but this involves a short but very 'dangerous' walk along the main road if the tide is in! (Dangerous because of the traffic, which hurtles down this stretch of road at a ridiculous speed. )
My criticism is that a hotel of this calibre should really run the restaurant right through the year. Also, they should accept payment by credit card. I would have happily paid an additional fee rather than have to travel into Galle or Koggala to an ATM. But I'm still rating the Blue Sky as excellent, because of the room, the beautiful bathroom (!), and Vimal!!!!

Room Tip: I stayed on the top floor, A/C room next to the sea facing room. It was wonderful!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Karentoday
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I don't know where to start in writing this review other than by thanking them again for an amazing holiday. I have just returned home from spending 7 nights in the guesthouse and I am already dreaming of a time when we will be able to return again.

The star of the show is Vimal and he is Blue Skys greatest asset, from the moment we arrived to the time we hopped into the car at midnight to return to the airport nothing was too much trouble. He is such a kind soul and my husband and I thoroughly enjoyed spending time with him, he is friendly and welcoming when you arrive and after leaving he has etched a firm place in our hearts. We looked forward to seeing him at breakfast every morning to chat about our plans for the day and he offered so much advice for things to do etc, he also makes a mean cup of Sri Lankan coffee and tasty omelette.

We were lucky enough to be allocated the room on the top floor facing the beach, the room itself is spacious and perfectly appointed. The bed was comfortable and large by Sri Lankan standards, we were also pleased there was a fridge, which is perfect for keeping your duty free wine chilled to enjoy after a long day on the beach. The bathroom was also a great size and powerful shower which we were delighted with.

The balconies have incredible views over the sea and we enjoyed whiling away many hours relaxing listening to the sea and watching the waves. The beach by the guesthouse is wonderful and not too crowded, the nearby rock pool is great for families however we chose to go to the main beach in Unawatuna (200 rupee ride) as we prefer to swim in deeper water.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Blue Sky to anyone visiting Unawatuna

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We LOVED this place! The location was amazing (just outside Unawatuna which we felt was for the better as Unawatuna can be a little "commercial" for our tastes. It has a "private beach just out front and was still close enough to mail Unawatuna to walk for a bit of entertainment.

It is managed by a husband and Wife who were just the nicest people! They were so friendly and ready to help and we enjoyed their company in the evenings. (True Sri Lankan style hospitality - they are your friend from the minute you meet)

The Curry really was the best i had during our whole month long stay in Sri Lanka - we ended up having their curry for Breakfast Lunch and Super - Literally!

I would highly recommend staying here as apposed to anywhere actually in Unawatuna (a 5 min walk away)

Room Tip: There is a great cocktail bar, 1 minutes walk down the beach. The Arak Attack is the best on the Island
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rachael A
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Nice place to stay , the owner and the staff are good and helpful and would accomodate most of your requirement, the breakfast is served as your own time. The room with the sea view is good.The owner suggested few places to go around the place and they were good ,if you staying here definetly ask the owner to arrange a trip to the jungle beach, its awesome place. Definetly a place suggested to stay if you looking for value for money.

Room Tip: Sea side view is good and comes at the same price as others
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends