“Awful”

Dalawella Beach Resort
Ranked #83 of 162 Unawatuna B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Great location on a beautiful quiet beach but this place was the pits.
My husband and I stayed here recently. The staff were rude and didn't care.

The rooms were very dated. I think the pictures on the website are very cleverly taken with good light. They were very dark and dingy. The first room offered was downstairs but there was no privacy. Upstairs was marginally better. There was no safety deposit box or TV as advertised. The bedding had stains on. We even had to ask for our room to be made up and for clean towels.

Breakfast was only eggs and toast. No other choices.

When we checked out we asked the staff to get us a tuk tuk but they couldn't be bothered so we had to go to the street with our bags.

Definitely one to avoid.

• Stayed: February 2014

Reviewed February 11, 2014

The following is an email i sent to an online travel booking company i used to book this place. I have travelled throughout Asia for years and so am used to staying is many various places from 1 dollar hostels in Cambodia with only a hole in the corner to 5 star luxury. This was the worst for value for money i have ever stayed at. When i complained the hotel returned a totally fictitious story that was almost laughable but for the fact it cost us a lot of money. In short: DONT STAY HERE... every other hotel is better quality and better value for money. I know, i visited every one trying to get a room...The positive review here are a while ago...dont be fooled, im guessing a change of management has occurred.

Upon first arrival at the Delawella Beach Resort my wife and myself were met by a young man who cam up to us in quite an aggressive manner shouting “Agoda Agoda Agoda!” at us repeatedly. He didn't seem to speak very much English and took me a few times to understand what he was talking about as I was taken aback by his hostility and apparent anger.
We were given the keys to our room and a form to fill out. We were not shown around or in any way explained anything about the hotel.
The room was very different from those advertised. The room to start of consisted of a metal framed front which housed windows. The lock on the door was rusty and ill fitted and the whole frame rattled slightly when we closed the door. The room had no windows except from the glass window frame. This had curtains which had to be closed at all times otherwise anybody who walked past could see everything in our room as well as us. This left the room very dark or totally exposed.
The room was not white as pictured but painted all blue. There were no soft up lights but one florescent light opposite the bed which combined with the blue room was really unpleasant and looked like the inside of a shipping container.
There was no safe deposit box as advertised. The TV was not satellite and could only receive 3 channels which were Sri Lankan News (in Sri Lankan) or Cricket again in Sri Lankan. The picture was also very fuzzy and difficult to watch. There was a continual array of flies in the room and the sheets had various stains on, which we had to hide under during the night because of the fly infestation.
The towels that were left had holes worn through in. The whole room was very dated and badly maintained. When my wife took a shower the shower door fell off on to her and the complimentary toiletries consisted of two sachets of shampoo for those with hair loss.
The food served on the first evening took 45mins to arrive and only arrived after I had tried to cancel it.
Breakfast was served with bacon which was more or less clear with fat and no meat. The toast was stale and was served on the restaurant again with lots of dead flies stuck on the windows, some of the windows were cracked. As we sat and had breakfast there were dogs that defecating on the beach.
When walking about the hotel the staff (3 young men) stared angrily at me and leered at my wife which made me feel very uncomfortable and my wife feel unsafe.
After 1 night we decided to check out and find a different hotel. Upon returning to check out and pay our food/drinks bill, the manager refused to believe I had pre paid even though I asked him if I could get a refund for the night I wouldn't be spending, to which he replied I had to speak to the travel agent. He then insisted I paid again. After calling the booking company i used, he gave me my restaurant bill which I paid. Upon trying to leave I saw that he had parked his truck to cover the entrance and only moved when my tuk tuk driver shouted at him to remove it. This seemed very hostile and aggressive again on his part.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

We loved this place! We had two nights here and revelled in the quiet informal atmosphere, good breakfasts, delicious dinners, comfortable room with sea view, a friendly manager and, most particularly, the superb swimming area in a coral lagoon a five minute walk along the beach, complete with stilt fishermen. We'd definitely come back!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Thanks to the guys at Dalawella Beach Resort. We stayed in April 2012 and we so well looked after. Its a good value for money place, with all the things you need on holiday - good food, comfortable rooms, attentive staff, beach location and wifi :).

The food was always freshly prepared and great. You can get western meals or some fantastic Sri Lankan curries. Whilst the staff played cards with us and a few of the guys played with our son on the beach.

When there was a Tsunami warning (they don't get many), the manager was just amazing, shuttling us up to his home in the hills by Tuk Tuk, When his family were some welcoming and polite. Despite locals dashing around to get to the hills, he made his first priority us.

I even recall us watching baby turtles that had hatched from eggs making their way into the sea.

Some fantastic memories we wont forget.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I would never normally write a negative review on here of a property but having just returned from SL after staying here (well, we booked for 6 days but left after 1) we felt we must share our experiences. It seems that the photos of this place on various sites such as Agoda or other booking sites are quite out of date, if you're expecting a pristine clean beach resort then you will be disappointed as it's more of a basic beach B&B and most definitely not worth the price which is expensive for Unawatuna. We weren't greeted on our arrival, more grunted at. Staff don't speak much English at all which is surprising as we have stayed at many places throughout SL, including very remote areas and language has never been an issue.

Rooms are very dark with strange blue polyester curtains which has the effect that you feel like you're in a blue fridge or maybe in the film Avatar... shower door fell off whilst I was using it and lots of flies in the room. Location is undoubtedly stunning as it's right on the beach but food wasn't great. Being on our honeymoon my husband decided we to find somewhere else for us and when we checked out the manager/owner tried to stop us leaving by parking his van across the entrance and blocking our tuk tuk driver. Even though we had paid up for our stay in advance he turned quite aggressive then tried to get my husband to pay again - outrageous. Left a really sour taste in our mouths so I have to warn other travellers who may be considering staying here and think they are getting something more than a basic room.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms might be better
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ReenaRibena
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Dalawella Beach Resort is a perfect beach resort for a family, with spacious, clean and comfortable rooms and most importantly, with the excellent and friendly service provided by the hotel staff. We stayed in a triple room only for one night, but, already are planning to visit the place soon.The private beach is ideal for a perfect relaxing holiday and the food is delicious. I recommend this resort as it was worth the money we paid.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I stayed here with my mom and little sister for two nights. The manager and staff were very friendly and helpful, always courteous and willing to go the extra mile to give you the best experience. The hotel is conveniently located. We stayed in a very spacious and clean triple room. The food is delicious, well prepared and hygienic. The private beach is gorgeous and amazing to relax on. I will highly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants value and an amazing stay.

• Stayed: August 2013