“Decent food”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Sri Lankan Rice & Curry meal was better than average, quite a nice surprised seeing the "tourist trap"location of the place.

If there are spare beach-chairs, this is a place worth settling down at for lunch.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

Delightful staff. Prompt service. Tasty food.and generous portions
We ate here often. The fruit salad with curd was delicious!

Reviewed January 24, 2014

Excellent food, reasonable prices. Ate the the seafood quite a lot here and kept coming back as we found it was better than elsewhere. Used their sunloungers and spent our day ordering food and drinks from them.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

My family and I have been in Sri Lanka for nearly 10 days now and are flying home at the end of the week. We came across Hot Rock last night & are absolutely gutted not to have done so sooner!

There are lots of different bars / restaurants / shops in this part of Unawatuna and it's absolutely fantastic. There is so much life and so many lights, it feels like a proper night out! The whole place was buzzing and we couldn't wait to see what Hot Rock - our restaurant of choice that night - was to be like...

We weren't disappointed! There are lots of colours in this place, which instantly makes it feel warm and inviting. There is an area to sit outside, on the beach, which is of course where we chose. The stars were out in full force, so it was pretty magical. It was busy, with backpackers and couples alike enjoying a drink or four with their meal, but it didn't feel crowded. The lovely waitress took our drink orders - margaritas for the adults, a beer for the boyfriend and a lovely rum concoction called a Blue Hawaiian for me! the drinks didn't exactly appear quickly but it was difficult to notice as we were all having such a great time soaking up the atmosphere.
Then we ordered food. Curry for everyone else and - heathen that I am - a burger and chips for me! Judge away, for a I judged myself! The food, though not mouth watering and mind blowing was great and exactly what we needed. Tasty and filling - I would highly recommend to anyone.

At some point during our meal, it started to spit with rain. This quickly turned in to a shower so everyone on the beach dashed for cover in the main part of the restaurant, with the staff working overtime - one even apologised for the weather!! - to bring everyone's meals in swiftly and efficiently. As most people had already gone inside during the spitting, it was totally full, but the wonderful staff set up a table for us to eat at near the kitchen, which was perfect as the smells that wafted out were a great addition!

More drinks... Wine, beer and another delightful rum potion called a Pink Elephant. Yummy!!

The rain soon stopped and we went back outside again. It was too lovely a night not to.

If I absolutely HAD to choose one thing I would change, it is the toilet facilities. No loo roll and it didn't flush, plus it was a bit grimy, truth be told. However, it was forgotten about in an instant due to the wonderful, exhilarating and dreamy atmosphere once you stepped outside aforementioned toilet.

All in all, Hot Rock is a fabulous hang out for the young and old alike and I guarantee you will receive fantastic service and a really great meal.

Enjoy!

1  Thank emmy6226g
Reviewed January 15, 2014

There can be few greater pleasures than to enjoy the sunset with an ice cold beer/ginfizz with the waves running up the beach to a few feet of your table! Add then calamari perfectly cooked in ginger and tomato, and the company of grown-up kids, their partners and grandchildren and you can see how good it gets. The owner makes sure that service is as quick as possible to meet the needs of hungry, impatient little 'uns and she is very responsive to diners' needs. The food is freshly cooked and very tasty with the rice and curry as good as any we tasted in Unawatuna.

We ate at Hot Rock several times and were never disappointed with the food, the service, the setting or the general ambience. I heartily recommend Hot Rock!