“Beautiful Beach, lovely people and perfect...”

Review of Mangohouse Villa

S7000489.JPG
S7000490.JPG
S7000495.JPG
S7000504.JPG
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

4.5 of 5 bubbles Very good - based on 20 reviews

Reviews from our community

Lizzie D
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Beautiful Beach, lovely people and perfect secluded villa.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2012 for a stay in September 2011

We loved our stay here so much we extended it from 4 nights to 5. The luxurious villa is set away from the touristy buzz of Unawatuna beach giving it a tranquil and secluded feeling, yet with the restaurants and bars only a short walk away. We loved waking up in the morning and walking out onto the spacious veranda surrounded by palm trees with a gorgeous view of the sea. We spent a lot of time spotting monkeys who were very funny and great to watch. The short walk to town was through a temple where we had to take our shoes off and cover up in respect, giving us a taste of the real Sri Lanka.

The maid, Bandu, was lovely and we got to know her well over the few days we were there, I still have the bracelet she made for me! She couldn't have been more attentive and willing to help, catering for our every need. The manager, Caruna, was often there too and able to give us plenty of good tourist info. We had excellent food and yummy breakfasts which were healthy and authentic.

Becky and Shaun's contact GG's Tours gave us an excellent service, planning our ongoing trip. The night watch man was ready to light the path for us by shining a spot light when we were walking back from town late at night.

We felt like we were in the lap of luxury staying at the villa and sometimes found it difficult to drag ourselves away to visit the beach. We have recommended it to friends and family and hope to return there one day.

5 of 5 bubbles Bedding & mattresses 5 of 5 bubbles Kitchen & utensils
5 of 5 bubbles Bathroom cleanliness 5 of 5 bubbles Other facilities & amenities
5 of 5 bubbles Service
Liked best: The location and the staff.
Liked least: Having to leave
Traveling group: With Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
AEH35
Barnsley
“Loved Unawatuna, Hated Villa!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2012 for a stay in December 2011
people found this review helpful

We absolutely loved Sri lanka and Unawatuna.
About a week before our holiday we were informed by the owner, Shaun, that the villa was staffed 24 hours a day. A maid during the day and a nightwatchman, and guard dog during the night (the dog was supposed to be in its cage during the day). That didnt sound like my idea of 'peace and tranquility', but at least, I thought, the villa would be spotless if the maid was there 12 hours a day!!
When we first arrived we were shown around the villa, downstairs the lounge and kitchen were open plan. I looked into the kitchen area (as a keen cook) and was horrified! It was obvious everything was filthy. After we unpacked I attempted to clean the work surfaces with antibacterial wipes that I had taken with me, it was impossible, they were too dirty. I cleaned the kettle to make a drink but after looking in the fridge decided our self catering holiday would have to change to room only! The fridge was dirty with all sorts of bits of food inside (a growing garlic bulb 1/2 a jar of something or other etc, etc).
After the first day we simply used 1 Bedroom upstairs and just entered the house to use the safe. Now all the maid had to do was clean 1 bedroom and 1 bathroom, the waste bin in the bathroom wasnt even emptied daily. Prehaps she was too busy sat in the lounge watching TV or doing her family washing and putting it on the sunloungers to dry. The final straw was the day we went to the safe and saw her cooking, we asked what she was cooking and she said it was the dogs dinner. Were we supposed to use the same pans as the dog??
The guard dog was allowed free run of the villa grounds at night and quite often through the day aswell, despite being told it had bitten 2 children. It constantly jumped all over us. The one occaision I used the sunlounger in the garden, the dog was on it before me!
When we returned to the villa on a night we had to bang on the gate, wait for the watchman to wake up, wait for him to put the dog away, wait for him to unpadlock the gate and then be allowed into the villa that was supposed to be ours for 2 weeks.
Getting to and from the villa proved to be a nightmare. In daylight you could climb the 140 steps then clamber over steep rocks and shale, but in the dark a tuk tuk seemed more sensible. Tuk tuk drivers were very hesitant to take us up the 'mountain', they thought their tuk tuks wouldnt make it, my husband, did, on one occaision, have to push one!!
Again I would like to say how much we loved Unawatuna, But would never consider using this villa again.

3 of 5 bubbles How easy was it to book the property? 4 of 5 bubbles How helpful were the directions to the property?
4 of 5 bubbles How easy was key pickup/access to the property? 2 of 5 bubbles Overall condition of the property
3 of 5 bubbles Bedding & mattresses 1 of 5 bubbles Kitchen & utensils
2 of 5 bubbles Bathroom cleanliness 2 of 5 bubbles Other facilities & amenities
2 of 5 bubbles Service
Traveling group: With Spouse/Partner
Your age range 35-49
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
UAE
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2010 for a stay in July 2010
5 of 5 bubbles Value 4 of 5 bubbles Rooms
4 of 5 bubbles Location 5 of 5 bubbles Cleanliness
5 of 5 bubbles Check in / front desk 5 of 5 bubbles Service
Traveling group: Family with young children
Your age range 45-54
4 of 5 bubbles Check in / front desk 5 of 5 bubbles Service
Traveling group: Spouse / significant other
Your age range 45-54
Would I recommend this vacation rental to my best friend?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Night
Week
Month
Make Inquiry
Never pay for your vacation rental by wire transfer.
Learn more about paying safely.
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing