“Great Hang Out and Relaxing Bar!”
Review of Happy Banana

Happy Banana
Ranked #85 of 104 Restaurants in Unawatuna
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Restauarnt and Hotel/rooms
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I loved the Happy Banana!!! My second night in Unawatuna was friday night. There was a big dance bar happening and was a great time! The Happy Banana ended up being my hang out point for the rest of the week for sunbathing and drinks on the beach for the whole week. Service was slow but I found that everywhere along the beach. Staff were great.. always smiling! Location was perfect for me,,, not too far from my hotel and right along the beach. I always had a table along the beach with my feet in the sand :) I would recommend this place!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Only stopped here for lunch. Superb location on the beach with a great view. But terrible service. Had to ask waiters 3 times just to get the food menu. The waiters have a bad attitude as well.
No security or staff at the front of the hotel, so parking becomes a real mess, even within the premises.

Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

Everything took ages, apart from drinks really.

Menus. The taking of the order. The food (over an hour). Ordered the bill 3 times. Paid the bill while they hoovered over us then didn't return the change!! Takes the ......

Food was expensive for Sri Lankan quality and prices. Wasn't worth it at all.

Find another spot to eat.

The location on the beach is nice. But then the beach is long enough to have loads if places that tick those boxes for you.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

perfect beach right infornt of the restaurant. everything is ok here. However the put off is that waiters do not care and pretend as if they didn't hear and take off when we call them. they do not come to you...but you have to go to them. this may be because they are busy. I do not recommend this place if your very hungry or thirsty. But the location is unexplainably great.. the beach is awesome and the friday night party is also ok.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

Sometimes when traveling you encounter some really nice places and sometimes you go to places that are just horrible. Happy banana belongs to the last category, and I have problems finding nice things to say about the place, except that it looked quite nice and it has a good location on the beach (don't let it fool you!)

We had been traveling in central Sri Lanka for some days and where a bit tired of rice and noodles so we where craving some pizza. We asked if they had, and we seated down after the waiter confirmed that yes, they had what we wanted.

When seated the waiter asked if we wanted the food menu or the drink menu, and as we where both hungry and thirsty we said we wanted both (we just got the food menu.)

After a while, a waiter came to take our orders and he could inform us that the pizza oven was broken so there where no pizza available that day. We are not that easily discouraged, so we sat down to study the menu to find something else to ease our non rice-or-noodly cravings.

The waiter came back after an even longer while and took our orders: roast beef, two medium rare beef steaks and a cheese burger together with some drinks as we had managed to get the drink menu by then.

We got the food: The cheeseburger was the only thing that could pass as what we had actually ordered: a piece of meat between two pieces of bread with a few french fries sprinkled arund the plate. The roast beef was some tiny pieces of dry meat drenched in some kind of pepper sauce and the beef steaks where slightly larger, but dark on the outside and dark on the inside.

When asked what the roast beef was actually roast beef and not something else on the menu the waiter got defensive and agitated and told us that yes, that is how the chef makes roast beef. When we asked about the overly cooked beef he started to get angry and told us it was nothing he could do about it (“not my fault, what can I do?) and showed us that at least HE had done his job correctly by pushing the paper with the order into our faces.

It started to get late, so we finished our meal and asked for the bill. It came after another wait, and the waiter, still in a dark mood, slapped in on the table together with a cheeky comment about checking the sums. We got a small laugh about the total: 6666rp – but after further research found that they had overcharged with 500rp. If it was an accident, an attempt to cheat money or to give us some kind of “evil” number we will never know, but I prefer to think it was the last option - at least it's a better story.

We sent the bill back and had a big discussion with the waiter that ended with us asking to have the service charge removed (“it's not my fault!”). For me, it was the first time ever asking for service charge to removed.

In the end we got the service charge removed, and the waiter told us to never come back, as if the crappy food and the non existent service hadn't removed that option already.

To conclude: Happy banana is an awful place to eat, it was by far the worst place we went to during our one month stay in Sri Lanka, every other place in Unawatuna has better food and better service.

Also, the cocktails where watery and didn't taste any good either...