“THE NOT SO HAPPY BANANA”
Review of Happy Banana

Happy Banana
Ranked #88 of 107 Restaurants in Unawatuna
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Restauarnt and Hotel/rooms
Reviewed January 16, 2013

We had a seafood BBQ at the Happy Banana and wanted to pick the snapper from the selection of fish on display. Our waiter convinced us to pick the red fish. Big mistake! The fish was so mushy and badly cooked it would not come off the bone at all. In hindsight we think it was some kind of wrasse - not an eating fish. It was awfull!! We complained to our waiter and said we were not happy with the fish and he said it was a good fish. We said it was a bad fish. He said it was the style of fish. We said it was a bad fish and we wanted him to take it away and replace it with some jumbo prawns. The waiter was very argumentative and he said we had already started to eat it and he wouldn't do it. We were so unhappy with the service that at the end of the meal I said that we would pay for the fish but we would not pay the 10% service charge. Well...the waiter started yelling at me saying that I was a bad customer. I tried to talk to the manager but he just stood there staring at me with no response. Eventually, after sticking to my guns, the restaurant dropped the service charge. I didn't get the name of the waiter but he's the one with the glasses. My advice is to avoid him, don't let him convince you to pick the red fish, but go the jumbo prawns. They were good.

1  Thank louandjm

Reviewed January 14, 2013

I was there yesterday and despite a thin crowd was told it was too busy to make tea (3pm in the afternoon) so I ordered a couple of soft drinks which simply did no turn up.

Too much competition in the area to bother with this place.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

Set on the beach with deck chairs for a lazy day, this place was ideal just to relax and enjoy the view of the ocean,read a book, have a siesta and to have a swim to refresh from the heat.

The beer was cold and the service was fast. With the advantage of being able to order food allowed for a relaxing time without having to move.

If you find yourself venturing to the happy banana make sure you go early for two reasons, to get a good spot with some shade and to avoid the heat of the day.

Be prepared for hawkers with bad memories as they keep coming back over and over even after you have said no a dozen times. If you can weather that storm you will enjoy a very relaxing day.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

This has got to be the most over-rated place in unawatuna ever. I have no idea why my friends (locals) flock there always. The service is unfriendly and slow. It took 1 hour or more for our food to arrive and it was terrible too. The "nasi goreng" was just plain rice and tomato sauce mixed into it with lumpy pieces of fried chicken... you would have been lucky to find a prawn in there. Oh and a runny egg on top for the grand price of Rs. 850 each.

The toilets/washrooms are pitifully dirty and smelly. No one seems to bother about cleanliness in the whole place. No one smiles with you. The beach started to smell like dog urination at one point and was unbearable. The sun set and the only CD they have was played - a Bob Marley one with about 5 tracks looping on it.

You frequently get sales people and beggars coming right up to you and trying to sell you stuff/ show their sorrows and make a buck off you and none of the staff do anything about it. The dogs they have are badly taken care of, with a great dane (I think) who's fur was falling off and a couple of other dogs who roam around scratching themselves (note - I ADORE dogs and animals but abhor ignorant pet owners)

The only good thing is that they have an ample parking space for about 5-6 cars. That's about it. There are MUCH better places in una to be at, Happy Banana is damp, smelly, overrated, stupidly expensive and is NOT one of them.

1  Thank Dee V
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We were at Happy Banana on Xmas night and the following noon.
Loved the place. There was firework on xmas eve. The food was okay!
The service was bad, they barely cared.
There was a whole bunch of loud Aussies and English.
The beach was great but beware of the Lankan Beach bums who was trying to be extra friendly.