“Why not let your guest use the wifi?”
Review of Hotel Dhammika

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Unawatuna
Hotel Dhammika
Ranked #38 of 146 Unawatuna B&B and Inns
“Why not let your guest use the wifi?”
Reviewed November 12, 2011

I really enjoyed the location, most of the staff, and the rooms are very well furnished with quality wood. The prices seem to differ on where you get your info from?? I would stay there again if they would be kind enough to give out the password for you the wifi, they charge a good price for the room and yet hold back on something that doesn't really cost them any more to give out..

Room Tip: Check to see if you will be able to handle the smell of diesel that is coming from the back yard.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed October 25, 2011

I can see that the prices fluctuate, but since I went in the low season in June my friend and I paid just 2500LKR (about $24) for a non-AC room with fan. Yes, this place is not right on the beach but it is a very short walk to the beach from here. Also, the views from the balcony are fantastic and most importantly, the room was clean and the bathroom was spotless. There was a little TV (we never turned it on) and a mini-fridge to keep our bevvies cool. Wouldn't hesitate to book this place again!

Room Tip: Don't hesitate to ask to see a room before you decide to book - if it's not high season.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 26, 2011

I stayed at Hotel Dhammika for 20 days. The rooms have a great view of the ocean, at the center of the beach. I enjoyed being so close to the ocean and having my breakfast while enjoying the great scenery.

The staff are very friendly and trustworthy. You don't have to worry about getting ripped-off or losing your money at their hotel or anything like that. They are also very polite and very respectful of your privacy.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I would give this hotel a 7 for cleanliness.

There is no wifi, so be prepared to use mobile Internet while you're in the room (which is super cheap by the way). And the only English channels you can find on tv there are Al Jazeera English, and RT (both news channels). There is also no lounge, so it would be really difficult to interact with other people staying at the hotel. If you don't mind these things, go for it!

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank Fadi90
Edinburgh Scotland
Reviewed March 12, 2011

We stayed at Hotel Dhammika for 3 nights during our 3-week stay in Sri Lanka. We were surprised to find nearly every hotel in Unawatuna completely booked when we arrived, but we were able to get an A/C room here for Rs.6000 (£34) per night. It seems Unawatuna is much more expensive than other places in the country, but the room was a good value for the town.
The room was clean, spacious, had a very nice private bath with hot water and good water pressure (very exciting after 2 weeks of no hot water). There was a lovely balcony with a great view of the ocean. There is a TV, but the only English-language station is Al-Jazeera.
As for Unawatuna, I didn't enjoy my time here. It was, by far, the most touristy place I'd been in Sri Lanka and I really enjoyed being in places where we saw few tourists. This place is nothing but tourists, and it seems it's becoming similar to Negombo (package holidays, tourists looking to do nothing but drink). The town is worth seeing for a day or so, but I wouldn't spend an extended amount of time here. It's good for buying clothing (good quality swim trunks and dresses for very cheap). I also took a wonderful cooking class there at a place next to South Ceylon Restaurant (very good food), which is something I highly recommend.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BCBG983
newcastle upon tyne
Reviewed February 17, 2011

I had booked a 4 night stay at this hotel during Feb 2011, over 4 months in advance. When I arrived at the hotel however, I was told that the couple in my room the previous night had decided to stay an extra night, therefore I would have to go & find somewhere else to stay that night !!.

There is no point whatsoever in accepting bookings for rooms in advance if you have no intention of actually honouring them.

Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank jaynewcastle11
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 21, 2011

This is my first Trip Advisor review; having just come back from a fortnight in Sri Lanka, where we relied on the hotel recommendations here, I thought I'd add my tuppence worth. My boyfriend and I stayed at Dhammika for four nights, and it's a perfectly good place to stay in itself - slap bang in the middle of the village (although not on the beach itself), the rooms are large and clean and each has a balcony with lovely sea views. It's quite plain and low key - because it has no restaurant it doesn't have much of an atmosphere as such - but it's perfectly serviceable and relaxed, and the staff are friendly. We paid 7000 rupees a night with a/c, which seems a lot more than other people on here, but I guess prices fluctuate with demand. The problem with our stay concerns Unawatuna itself rather than the hotel, but I wish I'd known about it before: for three out of the four nights of our stay, we were kept awake until 5am by music from a bar on the beach. Even though we were about half a kilometre away, the tiny curved bay acts as a great amplifier. I don't know how anyone staying near the beach gets any sleep!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank heathrowexpress
Reviewed November 20, 2010

Excellent hotel, friendly staff, well staffed. Always eager to help you, clean, respectful and a pleasure of a place to stay in.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple