“A real gem, amazing service great food”
Review of Kingfisher

Kingfisher
Ranked #7 of 101 Restaurants in Unawatuna
Cuisines: European, Italian, Seafood, Thai
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Kingfisher is a hotel and restaurant beautifully located on the crescent-shaped beach of Unawatuna in the Southern Coast of Sri Lanka. It’s origins run back to late 90’s. We have a designed lounge bar where you can relax and sip a cocktail and we offer a western and eastern menu at the restaurent. All our products are fresh and from the market everyday. We also have daily and weekly events: Every saturday night, we organise a party with dj's, music in live.
Reviewed January 26, 2013

A mix of beach and private villa, amazing service very attentive and friendly with a mixed menu of simple favourites. Great style and a relaxed atmosphere and chilled wine, what's not to love.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

This churns out a variety of food which is well cooked and very tasty. Food arrived in less than an hour which was expected as it is a popular place in a great location on the sand and everything is cooked fresh. Staff were friendly and courteous. Family friendly

Reviewed January 22, 2013

My husband and I went last night. Despite some trip advisor reviews which were a bit negative we went and had some great, tasty food. Albeit the beers are a bit expensive (200/250 rupees) they are the small bottles. Otherwise we loved it. I had red thai curry with Tuna and it was delicious and even better than some I had in Thailand. My husband had the fillet steak in red wine sauce (1200 rupees) and oh my god, i am going back tonight just so I can have that, that was some of the best steak we had ever had.

The service is a little slow but nothing compared to most Sri Lankan places. We never waited for any longer than 10 minutes for attention.

We'll see what tonight holds but I would strongly recommend going even if just for a break from the Sri Lankan rice and curry/rottis.

Everyone elses dishes also looked great, cut above the usual fare.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

I guess not everything on a holiday can be brilliant or up to par for the TA reviews, and our dinner at Kingfisher was one of those regrettably woeful experiences. Terrible doesn't quite cut it.
The night started fine, when we called from our hotel and asked for beachside seats. Sure enough we arrive and we have an amazing table reserved and they even drew a picture of a man and bubble-wrote my surname. Yay.
We were hungry and we read they prepare each dish by hand so its slower, so we ordered mains right away and a few drinks. The drink staff couldn't wait to get away from us any quicker, and the beer came warm and the cocktail was terrible (trying to make a Mojito with Sambucca probably won't turn out well). The mains, when they did arrive, were both cold and boring and nowhere near what i expected from the reviews. the prawns were dry and over cooked and the tuna steak was like cardboard.
Every place can't be perfect every meal, so i guess i can put it down to a bad night.
TIP - these guys only take cash - no cards accepted.

2  Thank Dylan S
Reviewed January 18, 2013

We just ate here two nights in a row, and tonight will be the 3rd. Every dish has been flawless. The Thai green and red curries are without exception the best I've had and that's including those from Thai restaurants. The service comes with a smile and the beer is cold. To top it all off there's a decent atmosphere, that can suite couples, families and friends alike depending on where you decide to sit. I've eaten at a variety of places during the last week. For me this has been the best in Unawatuna.