“Hmm...”

SurfCity Guesthouse
Ranked #68 of 149 Unawatuna B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Let's be honest... It was ok and I probably shouldn't complain or expect too much, but I have to say it didn't quite meet my reasonable expectations. The room was basic but comfortable enough. I was pleased there was hot water; however, it only came out as a little trickle. Fortunately there's another cold water shower head which is larger. When we were there we were unfortunate to strike a power cut (which didn't affect everything in the area, which makes me wonder...). Fortunately they gave us a candle and soon after the lights came back. BUT it was still disappointing that there wasn't much hot water and later the cold water ran out too! (This kind of frustrating experience makes for bad reviews!) The door in the room said check out was at noon, but when we went down around 11.15, were told it was actually 11. We were just given enough time to clear out of our rooms but managed to pay to extend it by a few hours (whether or not that was worth it for our own cold shower, I'm not sure). The staff were helpful enough but not overly. It was good that there was free WiFi and bath towels (and do I need to mention toilet paper?) but that's about it, as they didn't even provide a piece of soap. Good for basic accommodation if you're happy to put with anything. Oh, on the positive, the location is very good as you can virtually step across to the beach.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sriwichic

Reviewed February 4, 2013

I first travelled alone to Sri Lanka and so glad to have stumbled upon Surfcity guesthouse. The staff here are friendly and helpfull not only with my travel plans but in making me feel at home. I have come back many times since with friends and with my partner and continue to be well looked after. The staff from the restuarant even helped arrange a BBQ for my birthday to be held in the bar downstairs. The rooms are good value for money given their location.I have now stayed in most of the rooms all of which are comfortable and clean. It can be arranged to put an extra bed in some of the rooms which is handy if there is a 3 of you as you can save money by sharing. When I stay there with my partner we always get one of the rooms in the frount building which have the most comfortable mattresses I have ever slept on in Sri Lanka and hot water for just a little extra.There are many guests staying who return here year after year (one guy has been coming for over 10 years) and many spend more than just a few nights here, they like myself consider it to be a home from home. If you are looking for somewhere right on the beach and affordable then please check it out, friendly staff, great food and (in my opinion) the best beach in Sri Lanka right under your feet !

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank starburstsharon
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Surfcity's main advantage is its location, it is almost literally on the beach, only a few steps away. It is a budget hotel, so don't expect luxury, but the kind staff makes up for the incompleteness of the rooms. The restaurant belonging to the hotel has excellent food, tried both breakfast and dinner. Plus the only drinkable coffee in the whole country.

Recommended!

Room Tip: If you can, book in the new building, there the rooms are considerably better quality!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Szilva_ontheroad
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We stayed at Surf City for 3 nights, the staff was very helpful, service was great in the restaurant, the battered prawns are the best in Sri Lanka! When we checked in we asked if it was quiet at night and were assured that yes very quiet, but the bar downstairs played music starting very loud at 10: 00 pm, to till 3:00 am, and TECHO music, very loud!! So just for that reason I would not stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Homelessones2003
Reviewed January 22, 2013

i stayed here for 10 nights in 2012 after hearing some great reviews from a friend who had previously stayed here on numerous ocasions, and from as soon as we arrived untill the time we left it couldnt have been better. The place itself is clean, tidy, a relaxed atmosphere and has the BEST staff who are more than willing to look after anything your every need. Price wise i thought surf city was great value and the location is truly breathtaking. . . . right on the beach with some really stunning views let alone the sunsets. i would definitely recommend to anybody and i have no doubt i will be back to surf city again sometime in the future.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Allen B
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I just returned from a weekend at Unawatuna Beach as was lucky enough to stay in the SurfCity Guesthouse. The rooms were cosy and the location was awesome. It's a beautiful beach and the atmosphere is completely relaxing. It was nice to be able to retreat to the Black & White bar in front of SurfCity at the end of the day then start up again with a tasty coffee and breakfast again the next morning. The first night I had the best curry I'd ever eaten! The second night we found ourselves wishing we hadn't strayed from the restaurant as the "fresh fish" at the Happy Banana was probably the worst piece of fish I've eaten. SurfCity and Black and White are separate but share the kitchen. Our very reasonably priced bar bill was easily added to our room. The staff in both hotel and bar are incredibly friendly and personable. It was a great weekend and I'd suggest it to anyone.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ryan_sommerville
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We found SurfCity Guesthouse to be a great pick for a stay at Unawatuna – spotless clean rooms, hot water, ceiling fan, air condition and a good bed with mosquito net.

Welcoming management and staff, who make an effort, and take pride in offering good personalised service, impeccable housekeeping and serving good food.

Rooms are located in the narrow street, overlooking the beachfront restaurant.

The beachfront restaurant Black & White, offers breakfast, lunch, dinner and in-betweens. The friendliest local guys run the restaurant, which we found, again and again, to serve the best and most “honest food” in Unawatuna. Ordering ahead and outside the menu card, it is amazing how many more delicious dishes of fish, seafood and salads can be produced in the tiny kitchen.

From the restaurant deck, or on the beach in front, one has front row seats to the beach life and best location for sunsets with views of the whole bay.

We stayed 3 weeks in the “Top Room” which includes a covered roof terrace with views of the beach on one side and street life below on others. And I have just sent my parents (65+), who report they are just as pleased with the SurfCity Guesthouse experience as we were.

Thank you SurfCity - I am looking forward to return!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with balcony/terrace space in front.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends