“Great location, nice staff”

SurfCity Guesthouse
Ranked #66 of 152 Unawatuna B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Surfcity's main advantage is its location, it is almost literally on the beach, only a few steps away. It is a budget hotel, so don't expect luxury, but the kind staff makes up for the incompleteness of the rooms. The restaurant belonging to the hotel has excellent food, tried both breakfast and dinner. Plus the only drinkable coffee in the whole country.

Recommended!

Room Tip: If you can, book in the new building, there the rooms are considerably better quality!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Szilva_ontheroad

Reviewed January 26, 2013

We stayed at Surf City for 3 nights, the staff was very helpful, service was great in the restaurant, the battered prawns are the best in Sri Lanka! When we checked in we asked if it was quiet at night and were assured that yes very quiet, but the bar downstairs played music starting very loud at 10: 00 pm, to till 3:00 am, and TECHO music, very loud!! So just for that reason I would not stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Homelessones2003
Reviewed January 22, 2013

i stayed here for 10 nights in 2012 after hearing some great reviews from a friend who had previously stayed here on numerous ocasions, and from as soon as we arrived untill the time we left it couldnt have been better. The place itself is clean, tidy, a relaxed atmosphere and has the BEST staff who are more than willing to look after anything your every need. Price wise i thought surf city was great value and the location is truly breathtaking. . . . right on the beach with some really stunning views let alone the sunsets. i would definitely recommend to anybody and i have no doubt i will be back to surf city again sometime in the future.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Allen B
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I just returned from a weekend at Unawatuna Beach as was lucky enough to stay in the SurfCity Guesthouse. The rooms were cosy and the location was awesome. It's a beautiful beach and the atmosphere is completely relaxing. It was nice to be able to retreat to the Black & White bar in front of SurfCity at the end of the day then start up again with a tasty coffee and breakfast again the next morning. The first night I had the best curry I'd ever eaten! The second night we found ourselves wishing we hadn't strayed from the restaurant as the "fresh fish" at the Happy Banana was probably the worst piece of fish I've eaten. SurfCity and Black and White are separate but share the kitchen. Our very reasonably priced bar bill was easily added to our room. The staff in both hotel and bar are incredibly friendly and personable. It was a great weekend and I'd suggest it to anyone.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ryan_sommerville
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We found SurfCity Guesthouse to be a great pick for a stay at Unawatuna – spotless clean rooms, hot water, ceiling fan, air condition and a good bed with mosquito net.

Welcoming management and staff, who make an effort, and take pride in offering good personalised service, impeccable housekeeping and serving good food.

Rooms are located in the narrow street, overlooking the beachfront restaurant.

The beachfront restaurant Black & White, offers breakfast, lunch, dinner and in-betweens. The friendliest local guys run the restaurant, which we found, again and again, to serve the best and most “honest food” in Unawatuna. Ordering ahead and outside the menu card, it is amazing how many more delicious dishes of fish, seafood and salads can be produced in the tiny kitchen.

From the restaurant deck, or on the beach in front, one has front row seats to the beach life and best location for sunsets with views of the whole bay.

We stayed 3 weeks in the “Top Room” which includes a covered roof terrace with views of the beach on one side and street life below on others. And I have just sent my parents (65+), who report they are just as pleased with the SurfCity Guesthouse experience as we were.

Thank you SurfCity - I am looking forward to return!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with balcony/terrace space in front.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Having first stayed at SurfCity in 2007, I loved the relaxed atmosphere of the place and as a result I have stayed a further three times! The staff are just the best, happy and friendly, with nothing being too much trouble for them and the location could not be better, right by the beach! To some the rooms may appear basic, but they are clean with everything you need for the few hours you will spend in them and the restaurant food is off the scale, especially if you like seafood. Whilst accommodation reviews are a personal thing, for me I love the place and I DO recommend it to my friends, who would also agree with my assessment above. Just get Asard, Mandu & the rest of the boys to look after you and you'll have just the best of times, trust me I'm a decorator...!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank HeyHoDeco
Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

From the photons and reviews on the website, we decided to stay here for 3 nights.What greeted us was a jaw-dropping shock. I've done 'budget ' - especially in Thailand - but nothing compares to this.

The place is hidden down a tiny, claustrophobic alleyway, and is not ON the beach, but separated from it, as is the restaurant. Reception is a fly-ridden tip, rooms are awful - nothing at all like the photos. Basic is NOT the word.

It was so bad we didn't even check-in, but were charged the first night anyway.

We found a nice, clean room at Manidi Villas for the same price - take my advice and stay there.

Very, very disappointing.The worst thing is dressing the place up on the web page - and the photos - to be somewhere it most certainly is not. I wouldn't stay if it was free.

• Stayed: January 2013